Gibson Brands Forums

Finish repair question

87ECHO

Hello All.

I have A 1976 Bicentennial Firebird that has a few nicks in the clear. One of my friends is a custom painter who suggested re-shooting the entire guitar with new finish. Repair would be for minimum cost, but I'm not sure what the protocol is. Besides the nicks, he noticed the finish is "sinking" in and the wood grain is somewhat visible. As far as value, I'm wondering what an appraiser or collector would think of a perfect finish that is not original. Everything else on the guitar is original. Anyway, informed responses are appreciated. Please, no baseless opinions as they are not helpful in this situation. I was unable to find previously posted information.

Thanks.

post-71788-041604300 1548011324_thumb.jpg

Hello All.

I have A 1976 Bicentennial Firebird that has a few nicks in the clear. One of my friends is a custom painter who suggested re-shooting the entire guitar with new finish. Repair would be for minimum cost, but I'm not sure what the protocol is. Besides the nicks, he noticed the finish is "sinking" in and the wood grain is somewhat visible. As far as value, I'm wondering what an appraiser or collector would think of a perfect finish that is not original. Everything else on the guitar is original. Anyway, informed responses are appreciated. Please, no baseless opinions as they are not helpful in this situation. I was unable to find previously posted information.

Thanks.

If the guitar has been well maintained and all that the natural aging is what you’d want to see. Anything you do to this that is non factory will affect how a collector looks at something. I’d just leave the nicks and just wipe the guitar down nicely with a dry soft cloth - like Gibson makes with their restoration kit. Speaking of which... the kit Gibson sells for restoration is what you should do IMHO.

I agree with the previous post.

I have a couple of the acoustic guitar of the month centennial guitars.

One is showing some checking but I wouldn't dream of refinishing it unless I was not worried about resale value and was doing it just for personal preference

Good luck on your decision.

Archived