Gibson Brands Forums

pickup suggestions

EvoRider

hello i know this has been asked a 1000 times but i need suggestions on the right pickup.. I have a 2013 LPJ with stock pickups. I play thru a Mesa Rectifier into a 412 Rectifier traditional slant cab... sometimes i use effects but not much the stock pickups dont seem to have enough clarity or bottom end. I dont want to spend a fortune trying different pickups.. I play mostly Hard rock and starting to do some nu metal....

also have notice nobody has the quick connect pickups anymore...

I do not know what is in yours right now and I also do not know what your budget is but, I have a set of Seth Lover Seymour Duncans in my SG 61 reissue. It sounds better than my les paul that has the classic 57 pick ups. If I were you and since you play metal, or harder rock genre, I would do a search on youtube and check out what others have put in their guitars. The gibson explorers genrally come with a 490r and 500T pick ups. They sound fantastic pushed through an overdriven amp. Plus I personally would do away with that quick connect b.s. and get a pre wired emerson kit or similar one and have that installed. Then go find someone who knows their $hit and have them wire it up. Do not take it to just anyone, You have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing that is not going to bump your guitar with a hot soldering iron. Good luck.

The electronics tie into a PCB board in the body cavity? The stock pickups regardless of what they are, are being robbed of tone and clarity from the PCB. Keep the pickups and put in a wiring harness with orange drop caps. It will sound like you pulled wool out of your ears when you do! I have done many side by side comparisons of wired harnesses and various Gibson models with PCB’s, and the guitars with PCB’s always lack clarity. Especially in upper and lower registers. Mids are generally upfront and muddied.

Put '57 Classic's ('57+'s if your in the $$$) in that Bad-Boy, U can't go wrong ! if $$$ is an issue, good old 490 R & T's will get the job done with change back from your hard-earned.

i love the 57 classics, i think they are the best all-around pick up you can buy. i agree, you can't go wrong with them.

that said, i'm putting an evh frankenstein in my strat this week, it's a great pickup if you just want a rock machine

Archived