Gibson Brands Forums

Something Doesn't Jive with this Serial number and Model

imunwell

I just found this:

http://forum.gibson....ustom-les-paul/

I believe this may be the same "Bob" that you've been talking to.

Thanks Black Dog! I will check for this. Maybe I can play the crap out of it and justify ripping the fairly new strings off. LOL

It might be my best indication of what I have. I'll check for the R stamp in the cavities as well. The Bridge and Serial number still puzzle me and I have ask Bob several times to explain to me why I mine are not considered indicators of a '68 reissue. All of the 2005 Customs that I have found have the metal inserts in the top of the guitar for the bridge post but this one does not and that is normal for a '68 reissue.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Black Dog! I will check for this. Maybe I can play the crap out of it and justify ripping the fairly new strings off. LOL

It might be my best indication of what I have. I'll check for the R stamp in the cavities as well. The Bridge and Serial number still puzzle me and I have ask Bob several times to explain to me why I mine are not considered indicators of a '68 reissue. All of the 2005 Customs that I have found have the metal inserts in the top of the guitar for the bridge post but this one does not and that is normal for a '68 reissue.

You can most likely remove the neck p/u without removing the strings, depends on how much string you have wrapped around your tuners, but even it's it's not many you can still do it.

Aren't you dying to know??? I'm interested and it's not even my guitar!

msp_biggrin.gif

• Upvote 2

I just found this:...

Well found, Black Dog!

I can hardly believe the tenon question hadn't been raised before.......eusa_doh.gif......usually one of the first things mentioned.

Tim Plains (AKA R9) who posted reply #3 in the link was the guy to ask if you had a question on Historics. Really knew his stuff. Had an amazing assortment of reissues.

Hope he's doing very well!

Pip.

• Upvote 1

I just found this:

http://forum.gibson....ustom-les-paul/

I believe this may be the same "Bob" that you've been talking to.

Well found, Black Dog!

I can hardly believe the tenon question hadn't been raised before.......eusa_doh.gif......usually one of the first things mentioned.

Tim Plains (AKA R9) who posted reply #3 in the link was the guy to ask if you had a question on Historics. Really knew his stuff. Had an amazing assortment of reissues.

Hope he's doing very well!

Pip.

It is a long tenon but I don't see any R or RI stamp in the pot cavity or pickup cavity

Edited by imunwell
  • Upvote 2

It is a long tenon but I don't see any R or RI stamp in the pot cavity or pickup cavity

That's really interesting. So, based on the SN, neck tenon and ABR bridge, it really seems like it's a reissue. The pickups and controls aren't reliable since it was rewired. I would call Gibson back with this new info and see what they say now.

• Upvote 2

That's really interesting. So, based on the SN, neck tenon and ABR bridge, it really seems like it's a reissue. The pickups and controls aren't reliable since it was rewired. I would call Gibson back with this new info and see what they say now.

Thanks for all the Help to you and everyone else. I found some additional information on the guitar as well as on just like with a similar serial number and it showed a COA that says it was a '68 Reissue. My guess is that someone can make a fake COA though. Everything looks identical though, same bridge mount, same water decal on the back of the neck/headstock, similar SN. I couldn't see the wiring but it said it had a burstbucker 2 (N) and a 498T. I posted pictures in the link below that was the same as the other link.

Exact same guitar, different Serial Number and I don't believe the year either 2010??

https://guitarchimp.com/products/2010-gibson-custom-shop-1968-reissue-les-paul-custom-silverburst-historic-68ri-rare

https://www.hbaudioiems.com/blank

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/3933aa_ed3c01a1d0234632b7aeecbaa27fb799~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_600,h_480,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/Silverburst%20Custom%20SN%20055118%20paperwork%20s.webp

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/3933aa_ed3c01a1d0234632b7aeecbaa27fb799~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_600,h_480,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/Silverburst%20Custom%20SN%20055118%20paperwork%20s.webp

Edited by imunwell
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all the Help to you and everyone else. I found some additional information on the guitar as well as on just like with a similar serial number and it showed a COA that says it was a '68 Reissue. My guess is that someone can make a fake COA though. Everything looks identical though, same bridge mount, same water decal on the back of the neck/headstock, similar SN. I couldn't see the wiring but it said it had a burstbucker 2 (N) and a 498T. I posted pictures in the link below that was the same as the other link.

Well, I'm not the final arbiter of anything but I'd say based on everything you've found, congratulations on your new (to you) '68!

msp_thumbup.gif

• Upvote 1

Ok look....I see everything you have said about your les paul custom and also the pics. I have also acquired a new 2008 model with the same abr bridge with volume and tone knobs. However mine has different tuners. And I see you have the bumble bee caps and the poimters on the pots. Mine does not. You also have grovers and mine has gibson deluxe tuners.

I called gibson yesterday and spoke with a rep. Named Raphael. I gave home my serial number and he said mine was just regular les paul custom.

Now once I started to ask questions he dug deeper. I asked if candy apple red was a regular color for that year and he said no. He did see mine was candy apple red before I told him and said it was not a color for the line up in 2008.

Then he told me it was probably an exclusive run model for a dealer. I bought it from the original owner about 5 days ago that got it from a guitar center in Illinois.

But when I search for candy apple red les paul custom from 2008 there is nothing out there.

So by looking at your pictures and Gibson saying it is not what you think it is, you too may have an Exclusive run les paul custom made for a certain dealer that has different features than what gibson would state in their system. By just looking at the pics you have posted, your has similar specs as what Wildwood Guitars out in the state of Colorado would offer for sell on their website.

And if your curious here is a link to mine I put in the lounge.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/145750-ngd-les-paul-custom-2008/

Edited by bigtim

I agree with what you are saying here BT. I think it's entirely possible that this guitar was a one-off/M2M or some type of special run. But, even if that's true, it still appears to be spec'd as a '68.

If that's the case, could Bigtim's be a 68?

Yes and no complaints here from me at all.

I don't know. To me the biggest clue about imunwell's guitar is the neck tenon. If bigtim's had that, then maybe, but it has other non-historic feature as well. Either way, they're both really nice guitars.

I guess I have kind of hi jacked the OP thread but am only curious myself. I pulled my pick up tonight and I believe mine has a long neck tennon. I will post pics tomorrow.

The only other thing I can note is that my Serial number doesn't have a CS either that also indicates a reissue v/s a regular custom or custom shop guitar.

Oh and just to vent,

It looks like "rtc" got his jabs in trying to slap somebody around until he figured out that I had a legitimate reason to question what Gibson was telling me and not just trying to glorify my guitar and make it more that what I was being told it was.. Nice of him to own it and admit he was wrong..

Edited by imunwell
  • Upvote 1

It looks like "rtc" got his jabs in trying to slap somebody around until he figured out that I had a legitimate reason to question what Gibson was telling me and not just trying to glorify my guitar and make it more that what I was being told it was.. Nice of him to own it and admit he was wrong..

I admit it, I own it, I was wrong.

You have a guitar that might, could, possibly, potentially, almost, nearly, definitely maybe is something else. I am wrong to believe the serial number and the people that made it. In fact, from now on, I won't even look at the serial numbers on guitars and I won't bother asking the people that made them, I'll just go online and ask a bunch of complete strangers what it is and look at pictures of very similar guitars and draw my own conclusions.

Good luck with your guitar, I hope it is a good one no matter the pedigree.

rct

• Upvote 2

He could have gotten the correct answer if he just first contacted Mary.

Somebody just -'d you, imagine that! eusa_think.gif

One of the many defenders of the sane? eusa_think.gif

Will this response get the same treatment from the "loyal followers"? eusa_think.gif

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

I +'d you up...

Edited by Big Bill
  • Upvote 3

'Minus Man' seems to be the perfect description of his personality.

A male hominid in form but completely lacking in anything remotely Manly. Like a Vintage Burgundy but without the wine. Empty. A Void. Vacuous.

And they do say that empty vessels make the most noise......

"Quod Erat Demonstrandum"......as Wild Bill 212 was always fond of saying.

msp_laugh.gif

Hope no-one minds but I'm just going to 'plus' everyone up each time I log in.

Pip.

• Upvote 2