Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Hendrix

Buc McMaster

Well, as I was sipping the morning coffee this tune began rumbling through my head and I wondered if I could pull it off on the J-45. So here it be, about an hour into working it.......not ready to attempt the vocal yet, but I do think it's something I can do.......eventually. Another one of those damn! did he just play that?!? songs for the open mic stage.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GqBXADCOhU

Bit of 'verb and compression added in Garageband, recorded with the iPad. Martin Retro 12s (first and second changed to .013 & .017 respectively) down a half step, BC TPR50 pick.

This take is w-a-y too fast........hold 'er down, Nute! Got the tempo under control now and begun work on the vocal. It's always been difficult for me to gain hand/voice independence when playing single note stuff like this but it's coming around. A solo acoustic version will of course be without the Hendrix maniacal guitar playing (which is out-freaking-standing!) but I do think a serviceable rendition can be had. It's just something completely different for acoustic guitar and I view it as a challenge......maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't, but it sure is fun trying! Thanks, guys!

It is something a bit different for acoustic guitar, fer shur. Got an arrangement put together that seems to work well and now it's just doing repetitions to get it solid.......by the weekend it should make a good sunday song, I reckon. Thanks for the love, folks!

Archived