Gibson Brands Forums

Maple fretboard Gibson Explorer with a Floyd Rose?

Dupczek

Hi there. Just wondering if Gibson will ever release an explorer with a floyd rose and a maple fretboard? This is something I would like to have. I know that they made some FR equipped explorers (Matthias Jabs model/Vampir Blood Moon/Explorer FR) several years ago. However, no maple fretboard, while Epiphone made a limited run with maple fingerboard (Long & McQuade exclusive series). This could look like this one below (This one is a real guitar with a Kramer headstock, as I didnt want to mess with photoshop, but you get the idea).

55f9c51502b9334dad6fe9d6fe80371c73568e1485d097e10ad107b42239e8fa.jpg?w=800&h=366

Gibson has offered a Floyd Rose (and similar design) trem system-equipped Explorer before, over the years.

I can't find a single one with a plain maple fingerboard though.

Most have been mahogany necks with rosewood fingerboards.

Hope springs eternal that they'll issue one with the plain maple.

I personally prefer such a fret board.

:)

Czech out this red Hondo, in a GC in Danvers, north of Bahston, Mass.

It's really cool, and the price is right.

Sadly, she's got a fixed bridge.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Hondo/EXPLORER-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-114582080.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyIyB0P2N4AIVQRh9Ch3CPw1iEAQYBSABEgL0ifD_BwE

Czech out this red Hondo, in a GC in Danvers, north of Bahston, Mass.

It's really cool, and the price is right.

Sadly, she's got a fixed bridge.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Hondo/EXPLORER-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-114582080.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyIyB0P2N4AIVQRh9Ch3CPw1iEAQYBSABEgL0ifD_BwE

Yeah, but the Hondo doesn't have the explorer headstock. Similar guitars can be obtained brand new. Check Kramer Voyager reissue:

s-l640.jpg

In contrast, Epiphone negative series was almost spot-on, but no floyd! See here:

yn5ocuqt83o5aszpsmxk.jpg

Yeah, it's tough to find exactly what you want in most cases.

That white Epiphone with the hockey stick head reminds me of a Strat body S300 I had in the late 1990's.

It looked like the one in this link below.

I bought it used off of a Soldier in Bad Kreuznach, Germany.

It was later stolen from my house on Oahu, in 2003.

Dumb burglar took the Epiphone strat copy and left a perfectly good Gibson Les Paul sitting right there in the corner.

[scared]

https://reverb.com/item/15924698-epiphone-s-300-strat-copy-white-maple-neck-hockey-stick-headstock

Gibson does produce Explorers with Floyd Rose from time to time, the one below is from Gibson's archive....

DSXTRCWCT1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Epiphone also produces them, the most recent Explorer influenced model below is not currently in production.

ME_Splash.jpg

Have to keep an eye on the Limited Editions and Custom Shop models, specially if you want a maple fingerboard... If you do a google search for an Explorer with Floyd Rose you will find quite a few used ones...

Gibson does produce Explorers with Floyd Rose from time to time, the one below is from Gibson's archive....

DSXTRCWCT1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Epiphone also produces them, the most recent Explorer influenced model below is not currently in production.

ME_Splash.jpg

Have to keep an eye on the Limited Editions and Custom Shop models, specially if you want a maple fingerboard... If you do a google search for an Explorer with Floyd Rose you will find quite a few used ones...

Well, I can be OK with an ebony/phenolic (so either black or white) fingerboard if maple is not avalable in few years. To me rosewood looks very poo colored;) It is just weird for me that Gibson/Epi are not a little bit open minded - explorer with bright fingerboard looks killer.

But again, there was no Gibson/Epi explorers with a floyd rose for many years. Bummer.

Archived