Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Fender Strat

MichaelT

These arrived on Saturday and my lovely wife got to the boxes first.

50787709_1987180404722400_8087640043633508352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=eb663913bf482d1ab68111b1b5b83e9d&oe=5CC0AD88

After opening them, Fender American Pro Stratocaster Maple Neck 3 Color Sunburst with Case and Marshall Code 50. The amp was mostly a purchase to take to and from practice since it's a lot lighter than the Marshall DSL40CR and the Marshall DSL100HR half stack. I'll use those two live and this will be a backup.

50990928_1987180368055737_526138136619646976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=5a36ac6f6d7f09942bd1ccecdc5aade6&oe=5CFFF2B9

And, the new Strat with my 2017 Tribute (affectionately named Goldtoppy). In my mind, I see the Les Paul looking at the Strat out of the corner of his eyes. :D

50799525_1987180308055743_5491809286499598336_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=cc692ed5687ecb0a884a90dd13b6821a&oe=5CED4AAC

And the Strat by itself.

50877553_1987180198055754_1159515692450447360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=304187004d45c23eec34beba3e83f739&oe=5CF80BCA

After playing it most of the day Saturday, part of the day Sunday and at band practice last night, I'm really enjoying the guitar. Setup, intonation, string height and everything was perfect out of the box, as soon as it acclimated to the environment and the strings were stretched a bit. The action is a bit higher than my Gibsons and the neck is rounder and bigger but it's definitely a quality instrument. It's the same color and everything as my old Strat was that I had in the 80's.

The Code50 amp is pretty cool, particularly after I got my iPad to connect to the Bluetooth and could mess with the settings. I have a Fender Mustang right behind it, so I'm fairly familiar with modeling amps. I have a lot more exploring with it but it'll be a good practice amp with the band and a good backup amp. Kidblast says that once I tweak the settings a bit that it's a valid gigging amp and I trust his word on that.

My wife's already planning her beach vacation this year in exchange for the guitar.

Very sweet Strat, congratulations!

I always preferred their maple fretboard, nice and glossy. Are they still using the satin finish on the neck?

Thank you! Yeah, satin finish on the neck. I played the rosewood fretboard as well but I like the look of the maple and I have lots of guitars with Rosewood fretboards.

Juicy. Sweet.

When does the White Pearl guard arrive?

rct

My friend has/had one at his shop, as a matter of fact. They were closed by the time I got the guitar and closed Sundays and Mondays. Stopping by after work to see if he still has it. I always liked the pearl pickguards.

I really liked the "This is not a guitar" and "This is not an amp" declarations...

msp_laugh.gif

...the neck is rounder and bigger [than the Gibsons] but it's definitely a quality instrument. It's the same color and everything as my old Strat was that I had in the 80's...

Interesting to note that the neck feels both rounder and bigger.

What is the radius, do you know? I bought my "Classic Series '60s" Strat precisely because the neck-profile (C-shape 7.25" profile) was identical in feel to the old '64 I had. I do remember that when I was on the hunt some of the USA-line Strats I played had necks / 'boards which were almost 'classical' guitar in feel and those just didn't feel 'Strat-like' to me at all.

I love the 3-tone 'burst with maple and white plastics look very much. Nice 'burst colour and pattern, too.

My heartiest congrats!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I really liked the "This is not a guitar" and "This is not an amp" declarations...

msp_laugh.gif

Interesting to note that the neck feels both rounder and bigger.

What is the radius, do you know? I bought my "Classic Series '60s" Strat precisely because the neck-profile (C-shape 7.25" profile) was identical in feel to the old '64 I had. I do remember that when I was on the hunt some of the USA-line Strats I played had necks / 'boards which were almost 'classical' guitar in feel and those just didn't feel 'Strat-like' to me at all.

I love the 3-tone 'burst with maple and white plastics look very much. Nice 'burst colour and pattern, too.

My heartiest congrats!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Pip, if I knew how to measure the neck radius, I would measure it for you. It's definitely a C shape and bigger than the Gibsons I own. The website says: Neck: Maple, Modern ‘Deep C’ Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5 inches (241 mm) Neck Finish: Gloss Urethane Front, Satin Urethane Back (Maple)

Thank you. I laughed pretty hard when she grabbed her Sharpie and went right to the boxes and started writing on them before I even opened them.

ah yea.. a new strat to scratch that itch... I agree, give me a mutha-of-terlet-seat pickguard for that, or give me death.. I'm a fan of those for strats and teles

Code 50 IMHO is very usable combo. Tube Sniffers hate em, (and the mustangs etc..), but most of those guys hate everything but 60 year old tube amps anyway: [flapper]

Like we talked about earlier, just find 4 or 5 presets that you find "usable" and then go to work making the changes till it's good to your ears. And what you hear in your living, is not gonna be quite the same as what happens when you're with the band.

so just be patient, and eventually, you're there..

Sweet guitar MichaelT! I picked up an American Telecaster Pro in the same finish and maple neck like your Strat - absolutely love Fender guitars. Strats especially are great because you can play anything with them pretty much - on top of looking great too. And I agree, the maple neck looks real good on your guitar msp_thumbup.gif Good call!

Next things to get is the locking tuners along with your pickguard. Fender's locking tuner sets are very good and are not overly expensive. Just make sure that you notice the staggering if this be your first time - and if you're interested in the locking tuner set.

Pip, if I knew how to measure the neck radius, I would measure it for you. It's definitely a C shape and bigger than the Gibsons I own. The website says: Neck: Maple, Modern 'Deep C' Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5 inches...

Thank you. I laughed pretty hard when she grabbed her Sharpie and went right to the boxes and started writing on them before I even opened them...

Congrats on finding a wife with a great sense of humour, Michael!

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

OK, a deep-C profile is beefier than mine but I could certainly cope with a 9.5" profile just fine.

I think the ones I really didn't take to must have had a 12" radius - which is odd as they should have felt the same as my LPs......eusa_think.gif......they also had huge frets.

Probably 24 years' worth of '1964 muscle memory' telling me; "Nope. That's not a Strat..."

Pip.

Congrats on finding a wife with a great sense of humour, Michael!

Pip.

Great sense of humor AND supports me playing and buying guitars! She's a keeper! And all I have to do is bribe her with beach vacations or appliance upgrades. It helps that she's also a musician. She plays flute and sings and she got a new flute recently as well. She's not quite back to Jethro Tull type flute playing but she's good, after picking it up again after almost 30 years. But, seriously, my life has been a lot better since being with her. 4 1/2 years this Friday, after she and I both got out of horrible marriages before.

OK, a deep-C profile is beefier than mine but I could certainly cope with a 9.5" profile just fine.

I think the ones I really didn't take to must have had a 12" radius - which is odd as they should have felt the same as my LPs......

I have a 12" EJRW and a 12" unbound Rosewood boarded Tele. Both necks are gaaaahhhhh good.

rct

...But, seriously, my life has been a lot better since being with her. 4 1/2 years this Friday...

I'm genuinely delighted for you both. Simply appreciating each other's qualities is 99% of a happy partnership.

Both of you being musicians must make for an interesting musical mix, too!

msp_thumbup.gif

As it happens, on the subject of holidays, my wife is pestering me about what to do this coming July. This year it's hosting one of my big b'days and as it was she who was responsible for my first seriously memorable 'big' b'day some 20 years ago she feels duty-bound to organise stuff this year, too...

I have a 12" EJRW and a 12" unbound Rosewood boarded Tele. Both necks are gaaaahhhhh good...

Oh, I believe you. I think it was just me desperately trying to find 'my' recently-departed '64 somehow and the others just weren't 'mine' enough. A 12" on its own with a small C would, I'm sure, be very comfortable. From memory I'd say the ones I didn't take to were 12" with a big-shouldered D-shape. I don't have dinner-plates for hands...

Pip.

rct,

You NGD'ed that guitar I believe not too long ago I think... It was a rosewood neck and surf green... And yes, I really liked that guitar msp_thumbup.gif

No, that one is American Professional Rosewood Neck, Surf Green, 9.5. That whole rosewood neck is really nice.

I have a Chris Schifflett. Shiflit. Something. Tele Deluxe, Shoreline Gold, White Pearl Pickguard, some form of Fender buckers in it, big fat 70's headstock, 12" unbound rosewood board. It's my Gold Top!

rct

Congrats on the new gear eusa_clap.gif i would get in trouble if i got a guitar and a new amp coming in the mail at the same time hahah its cool you dont have that issue

how are you liking the marshall? i was thinking of getting one of the origin ones, but then i get bummed cuz i cant play tube amps at bedroom levels

Love strats, i would own one in each color of the rainbow if i could hahha

Congrats on the new gear eusa_clap.gif i would get in trouble if i got a guitar and a new amp coming in the mail at the same time hahah its cool you dont have that issue

how are you liking the marshall? i was thinking of getting one of the origin ones, but then i get bummed cuz i cant play tube amps at bedroom levels

Love strats, i would own one in each color of the rainbow if i could hahha

My main amps are a Marshall DSL40CR combo and a Marshall DSL100HR half stack. I got the CODE amp just for ease of transport to and from band practice and a backup amp. I haven't fully tested it yet but it seems pretty nice so far. I prefer a tube amp over a modeling amp but whatever gets the job done is fine. Some of the settings need some tweaking and that's easily done on an iPad.

The DSL20CR is pretty nice with the built in attenuator that takes it to 10 or 20 watts, still has a 12" speaker and the clean/crunch and overdrive1/overdrive2 channels are great. EQ is very responsive. You might look at those.

Man what a score on that guitar. Nice wife!!

Are you married to René Magritte?

HA! We have one Magritte at Philly, Six Elements. It is on again off again, there are lots of rights fighting about his work it seems.

rct

1548792632[/url]' post='1974855']

My main amps are a Marshall DSL40CR combo and a Marshall DSL100HR half stack. I got the CODE amp just for ease of transport to and from band practice and a backup amp. I haven't fully tested it yet but it seems pretty nice so far. I prefer a tube amp over a modeling amp but whatever gets the job done is fine. Some of the settings need some tweaking and that's easily done on an iPad.

The DSL20CR is pretty nice with the built in attenuator that takes it to 10 or 20 watts, still has a 12" speaker and the clean/crunch and overdrive1/overdrive2 channels are great. EQ is very responsive. You might look at those.

Very similar to my main amps. :)

That DSL20CR is very tantalizing for sure. I may just pick one up to play with.

IMG_0357.JPG

DSL40c.jpg

Archived