Gibson Brands Forums

1990s Gibson USA TKL Case

NighthawkChris

Hello everybody,

My question is probably a simple one here. One of my Nighthawks is showing a slight bit of pink on the binding edges on the body. I gather it comes from the case somehow, but is it the cape/shroud or the fuzzy fabric inside the case that causes this? I do not think there is an easy way to get rid of this either. I am fine with it what slight discoloration has occurred, but I would not like it to progress further. Basically, I am not putting this guitar in the original case when I store it because of this "pinking". And to add, none of my other NHs with the same TKL pink interior cases from the 90s do this; I have a few NHs to compare to, and no "pinking" whatsoever on the binding. Either way, I suppose I could put the guitar in the case on top of the shroud as there is no binding on the back of the NH - just that I was wondering if the fuzzy pink material is the culprit. FYI, I bought this guitar used a while back and it has always been there. I don't have a complete history on this guitar - but it looks fantastic! As a matter of fact, it's my avatar here on this forum. Not necessarily a flamed maple top, more like quilted. I SCOURED the web for this guitar. Ended up finding it at some small shop in Montana... I know I will never run into another one like this - and if I do, it will be hard to pass up. Hey, I didn't pick my screen name here for no good reason, haha! Anyhow, thanks in advance!

I don't think it has anything to do with the case. A lot of older Gibson's get this tint on the binding, and I believe it is from the dye or color of the finish gradually bleeding into the binding. Not an expert on this, but I have seen many instances of it regardless of the type/color of the interior of a case.

I don't think it has anything to do with the case. A lot of older Gibson's get this tint on the binding, and I believe it is from the dye or color of the finish gradually bleeding into the binding. Not an expert on this, but I have seen many instances of it regardless of the type/color of the interior of a case.

Thanks for the input, but I don't think it is the finish bleeding into the binding. I mean, it is pink... Nowhere on this guitar finish is there anything that remotely resembles pink. And it is on the edge of the binding meaning where the 90 degree edge is at, not where the binding is adjacent to the body. Basically, the guy I sent the guitar to (luthier fella) when I picked it up said that the case does this and he's seen this before. He did not specify whether it be the shroud or the interior, but it is one or the other. Anyhow, thanks again!

I have heard of the case causing this to insufficiently cured guitars. The paint can/could interact with certain plushes.

My #1 Tele has lived 22 years in the same beat to death worn out SKB, cheapazz black plush. The back of the Vintage White guitar is noticeably different from the very edges, where it doesn't sit on the plush. It's polyester painted, so even the top coats for that can do it.

rct

I have heard of the case causing this to insufficiently cured guitars. The paint can/could interact with certain plushes.

My #1 Tele has lived 22 years in the same beat to death worn out SKB, cheapazz black plush. The back of the Vintage White guitar is noticeably different from the very edges, where it doesn't sit on the plush. It's polyester painted, so even the top coats for that can do it.

rct

That could be a possibility... As I said, I have no history of the guitar since its conception, so it is entirely possible that this guitar was not cured well enough back during production and it was cased for some time causing the binding edges to get a bit of pink.

So if that be the case, then I should have nothing to worry about and the pink stuff will not continue to show on the binding - because I have to think over 20 years, the nitro is cured by now... I should just use the original case and shroud the guitar when storing.

Thanks for the reply!

Gibson changed from a aniline based dye to a pigment based dye for their stains.

The thought has been that the binding that is turning pink is from contact with your skin.

So really don’t think it’s the stain that’s bleeding though to the binding, but the contact with your skin that’s causing the color change.

I have seen bindings being lightly sanded down in those areas to eliminated that pink.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?102866-Gibson-Cases-Dark-Lining-Bleeding-Into-LPs-Finiish

From what I was reading, the "blanket" (shroud as I called it) seemed to have pink dye come off of it back in the day, and that perhaps is why they moved away from the pink cases and the pink shroud. May be worth a read through FWIW.

Well, the case for this guitar is over 20 years old now, so I would imagine the dyes in it have to be dried up. I mean it doesn't bother me really that there is this pink outline around the body's binding, just curious where this is coming from and how to keep it where I will NOT care about pink on the white multi-ply binding. I don't case my guitars long as I go through this cycle where I case them up for a few days, then take them out and hang them up on one of the several guitar hangers I have. It's a sickness, haha! But no, I play all my guitars, but this CST3 NH I don't... It is in excellent condition and I want it to stay that way as I appreciate the NH look a lot - no mystery there... The gold HW looks untouched, and if I start to play it, it will wear off VERY quickly. This is simply going to be a guitar that I don't play and put my nasty mitts all over. I have other NHs that I take out for a spin, so I can manage to have this one sit around looking pretty msp_biggrin.gif Maybe I should share some pics of this to clearly illustrate what is happening and where it is.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?102866-Gibson-Cases-Dark-Lining-Bleeding-Into-LPs-Finiish

From what I was reading, the "blanket" (shroud as I called it) seemed to have pink dye come off of it back in the day, and that perhaps is why they moved away from the pink cases and the pink shroud. May be worth a read through FWIW.

Well, the case for this guitar is over 20 years old now, so I would imagine the dyes in it have to be dried up. I mean it doesn't bother me really that there is this pink outline around the body's binding, just curious where this is coming from and how to keep it where I will NOT care about pink on the white multi-ply binding. I don't case my guitars long as I go through this cycle where I case them up for a few days, then take them out and hang them up on one of the several guitar hangers I have. It's a sickness, haha! But no, I play all my guitars, but this CST3 NH I don't... It is in excellent condition and I want it to stay that way as I appreciate the NH look a lot - no mystery there... The gold HW looks untouched, and if I start to play it, it will wear off VERY quickly. This is simply going to be a guitar that I don't play and put my nasty mitts all over. I have other NHs that I take out for a spin, so I can manage to have this one sit around looking pretty msp_biggrin.gif Maybe I should share some pics of this to clearly illustrate what is happening and where it is.

I believe it is from the case, I’ve definitively heard of that happening with those cases, particularly on alpine white guitars

I believe it is from the case, I’ve definitively heard of that happening with those cases, particularly on alpine white guitars

Maybe its just me, but I think an alpine white guitar with a lil pink around the binding would look pretty good. Gives it a little character.

Yeah I am pretty convinced this has something to do with the case. It’s definitely not finish coloring bleeding and if I shared pics it would be most convincing it’s not that. I’m talking about a fine pink line on the outer edge of the binding. My eyes are telling me that the pink colors of the case and the color it left on the binding is similar to that of the case. Again I love the guitar and not trying to pitch a fit over this just that I would like to store this guitar in its case but I don’t want to continue to make the binding edges a pronounced pink. I am suspect of the cape... I just have no specific history of this guitar so I can’t tell when or what caused this to happen. I do have a few guitars with these same cases and only this CST3 has this going on. I suppose I will just fold the shroud into the case first then put the guitar on it as there’s no binding on the back. Just want to make sure it isn’t the fuzzy pink that is putting its dyes on the guitar when cased. Rather not learn this the hard way... come to think of it I believe this particular case has a different kind of shroud than the other NH cases. It is a difference I believe is significant.

Anyhow just seeing if anyone knew any history on this or has experienced this. Not the most interesting topic but I am interested to learn something about this. As always appreciate all the feedback from everyone!

Archived