Gibson Brands Forums

2018 ES-335 Dot

Jay13

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but not new to playing Gibby's.

I bought a 335 Dot from Guitar Center and picked it up last night. After waiting 15 minutes to bring it out and unbox it, I looked for cosmetic flaws and chips not realizing that the label imsode the cavity wasn't there. No glue residue or darkend spot where the label should be.

Anyone else ever have this happen? It was sold as new.

Jay

The problem is if you bring it back the replacement may be worse so if it plays and sounds OK, I'd ask the seller to have Gibson make a new label for it. If they can't / won't do that, I'd get a refund and keep shopping.

I bought a 2019 ES-275 (the semi version) and it was abysmal. The binding in the cutaway wasn't scraped right, and it was painted over, the body at the end of the neck between the neck pup showed white wood where there was no finish, the pup poles were misaligned, and volume imbalanced. Even by setting the bridge pup nearly touching the strings the bridge pup volume was too low. I have MHS pups in my LP-ES and they have no such problem.

The selling company asked me to hold on to it for a month while they waited for another to come in to replace it with. Well their incoming inspector determined the new replacement was WORSE than the one I received. They just about BEGGED me to accept the one I received and take a discount... nope it went back.

The problem is if you bring it back the replacement may be worse so if it plays and sounds OK, I'd ask the seller to have Gibson make a new label for it. If they can't / won't do that, I'd get a refund and keep shopping.

I bought a 2019 ES-275 (the semi version) and it was abysmal. The binding in the cutaway wasn't scraped right, and it was painted over, the body at the end of the neck between the neck pup showed white wood where there was no finish, the pup poles were misaligned, and volume imbalanced. Even by setting the bridge pup nearly touching the strings the bridge pup volume was too low. I have MHS pups in my LP-ES and they have no such problem.

The selling company asked me to hold on to it for a month while they waited for another to come in to replace it with. Well their incoming inspector determined the new replacement was WORSE than the one I received. They just about BEGGED me to accept the one I received and take a discount... nope it went back.

I bought a new Les Paul that had an extra hole in the Headstock that had been poorly filled & painted... I returned it for another & it was flawless...

If it ain't perfect why would you want to keep it & have to through hoops?

I bought a new Les Paul that had an extra hole in the Headstock that had been poorly filled & painted... I returned it for another & it was flawless...

If it ain't perfect why would you want to keep it & have to through hoops?

For a label? I don't think that is jumping through hoops, but considering my terrible luck with new Gibsons lately, at the very least ASK for Gibson to send a label.

For a label? I don't think that is jumping through hoops, but considering my terrible luck with new Gibsons lately, at the very least ASK for Gibson to send a label.

Wait til we hear the story about what it took to get the Label!

Then he has to deal with why it wasn't on the guitar. And, if questioned in the future should he try to sell it, can he really prove it's not a knock with phony Paperwork? Lots of them around these says...

Nope! I'd want another one!

The result...

Talked to Gibson, sent @50 pics, the factory was able to authenticate and they are sending me a label.

It's real, I'll have all the documentation to prove it is real, I'm keeping it.

I'm glad that Gibson verified the guitar. GC wouldn't bring another to my local store without me spending another $2k (wouldn't be able to take this one back until the weekend).

So everything is good...

Thankfully.

Jay

The result...

Talked to Gibson, sent @50 pics, the factory was able to authenticate and they are sending me a label.

It's real, I'll have all the documentation to prove it is real, I'm keeping it.

I'm glad that Gibson verified the guitar. GC wouldn't bring another to my local store without me spending another $2k (wouldn't be able to take this one back until the weekend).

So everything is good...

Thankfully.

Jay

What you did was Faaarrrr better than running the risk of getting one that wasn't as good as what you got. Good on you, AND you didn't have to jump through hoops!

• 2 weeks later...

It happens - not every ES always has a sticker inside. I bought a $5K CS356 and it doesn't have a sticker, it doesn't bother me. The guitar is flawless, plays and sounds great and it came with an embossed COA in a fancy leather sleeve.

Glad you got a sticker cause that seemed important to you. Now all you have to do is wiggle it through the F-hole and glue it in, without and bubbles or creases, so it doesn't look fake. :unsure:

Archived