Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Magician

Buc McMaster

Perhaps some of you know of Monty Montgomery........for those that don't, fasten your seatbelt......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7suZpJ-rMA

This kind of stuff could certainly be pulled off on an electric guitar, but Mr Montgomery chooses to rage on an old 80s Alvarez cutaway dreadnaught. Might not be to taste for many, but his wizardry is undeniable. Simply amazing chops.

Okay, I surrender. All my guitars will go up for sale and I will find something else to do. Wow! At first I thought he was hybrid picking with flat pick and fingers. But as the video went on it looked more like just thumb and fingers?? Must have some light gage strings on that thing. I actually would like to hear that played on an ES335 or Stat. Thanks for sharing.

Yep... this cat is rippin'! I first heard of him when one of my students brought in "When Will I". I suspect that those are very light acoustic strings; at least it sounds that way. Thanks for the post Buc!

As a note to his tone, in the live performances he uses a good dollop of compression. You can hear the "pop" particularly in the single note stuff. I love compression playing live but not to the "pop" degree......just a bit as a smoother to the overall sound.

Archived