Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson competitions

H

Hi all,

does anyone think it's fair that Gibson competitions are only open to people in the USA?

There's a '59 Les Paul 50th Anniversary model up for grabs on the Gibson site but a USA-numbered cell phone has to be used to enter. Previous competitions have required either this or a USA address. Is there some sort of legal issue that's preventing them from including the overseas Gibson fraternity in these 'giveaways'?

In general, most contests require a lottery license (State or Province of origin may cause variations in this ideal) and the license is governed by certain rules. As such, it is very common to see contests that are only open to residents of the license issuing country.

It would indeed be possible for Gibson or any other company to have an international competition where the winner could come from anywhere in the world, but to do so requires that the contest be designed in such a way that local laws are observed in the contest rules. It is very, very difficult to write contest rules that will simultaneously obey laws in several different countries as in some cases it is not possible to satisfy a requirement in country A without violating a rule in country B - etc., etc., etc.

It is also reasonable that a company would want to reward its main customer base rather than give a prize out to someone at a polar radar station. Where Gibson is American and the bulk of its sales are in the United States, there is some sense to keeping the prize in the US - especially where the winner will likely appear in advertising.

Thanks Ballcorner, I follow your argument in all but one respect: "bulk of its sales are in the United States". Do Gibson produce figures of its guitar production and the percentage exported?

Given there are around 300 million people in the USA and 6.7 billion in the world (2008 figures), it would seem that Gibson would want to explore its export market potential to a larger extent than its home market.

It is annoying but all to do with lawyers and stuff. Remember us Brits are best buddies with the USA but we still need a visa to get in. (On a side note, I expect it's harder to get back into the USA with an American passport, than it is to leave, just like the UK..bizarre!)

Ballcorner, it's a good job the inventor of t'internet didn't take that attitude or we would not have the pleasure of each others virtual company, which would be a great shame, but I take your point.

Hey H. How's it going in your corner of our Polar Radar Station?

Hi AlbertJohn,

doing nicely, thank you [-X

I was interested to read about your forthcoming open mic with the 'Early Morning Rain' à la Weller. I, too, am a huge fan, ever since standing three feet away from the man at Liverpool Uni in 1978, desperately trying to take one of the spare plecks from his mike stand [-o< Where do you play?

One of my playing partners and I were due to play at a pub between Halstead and Colchester (Aldham) tonight. We've just heard about this place but unfortunately I have to babysit. Grrrrr!

The White Hart in Saling used to do them but has just changed hands so not sure anymore. The Fox in Finchingfield is a regular for us (3rd monday of each month). There's also one started in Barnston, just outside Great Dunmow on the way to Chelmsford - The Bakers Arms I think it's called which is the 3rd Sunday in each month. We've also done one at Dunmow Snooker Club.

Robbie Gladwell, Lincoln Anderson and I have played a few gigs at my local, The George in Shalford, in the past. This is also due to change hands soon so I'm going to try and get a booking there too.

Have you seen Robbie? He's very very good. I think I've got a turn at a gig at The Grinning Rat in Ipswich soon with Robbie and I'll let you know about that one too when I know.

I'll post a thread when I confirm the next open mic and if it's not too far for you, it would be great to meet up for a pint and a play.

Better polish up Early Morning Rain!

Just took a look on Youtube at Robbie's shred antics :)

Would be good to know when you're out and about performing - give me a bit of warning though, I do a LOT of babysitting ;)

Thanks Ballcorner' date=' I follow your argument in all but one respect: "bulk of its sales are in the United States". Do Gibson produce figures of its guitar production and the percentage exported?[/quote']

As a privately held company, Gibson doesn't have to report any of this stuff. But some of us know what some of the numbers are -- they're not exactly a closely held secret.

Given there are around 300 million people in the USA and 6.7 billion in the world (2008 figures)' date=' it would seem that Gibson would want to explore its export market potential to a larger extent than its home market. [/quote']

All the Bozeman-built Gibsons are sold to dealers before they're built. Foreign markets (especially Japan) want more than Gibson can supply, so the percentage they export is limited by management -- they figure that serving the domestic market should be their first priority. They're not interested in significantly increasing production, for several reasons. Hence, there's no need to look for larger markets.

-- Bob R

Interesting. I knew it was a business and marketing decision (since the very idea of 'competing' to purchase is a marketing issue). I dd not realize that Gibson cannot make ENOUGH to satisfy demand. (Which is good for the brand). I did not realize that the dealers buy them BEFORE they are made (which explains a number of other questions I've had). I had to wait a year to buy mine and had to be in a position to **react** when the price/conditions were right. I am very pleased with my Gibson (even though I respect and could have gotten Martin or Taylor more easily)(Taylor is made here). I am pleased as well with Gibson warranty support/service. I DO take my Gibson to jams, etc., and play it (it does not sit in a closet). I will be doing that until I cannot play a guitar any longer.

At one point there was a lot of speculation about NAFTA becoming a "North American Economic Union" (and a kind of "Euro" being used). I hope that is not a consequence of this depression but anything is possible. It ain't over yet -- it's just getting started. It's a very bad situation (the worst I have ever seen). Nobody in Washington or New York seems to know what actually happened much less how to fix it. But the three auto makers closing their doors is a very bad start. That together with the housing slump and banks failing is an enormous crater (not just a little hole that has to be filled in). Buffet said 2009 will be very bad and not end in sight. He's smarter than me (for sure).

Hi all' date='

does anyone think it's fair that Gibson competitions are only open to people in the USA?

There's a '59 Les Paul 50th Anniversary model up for grabs on the Gibson site but a USA-numbered cell phone has to be used to enter. Previous competitions have required either this or a USA address. Is there some sort of legal issue that's preventing them from including the overseas Gibson fraternity in these 'giveaways'?[/quote']

Definatly not fair,

especially when one decides to read the small print after one has entered the said giveaway!

DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH =D>

H - I'm not positive on this' date=' but I heard it may have something to do with "Red Coats" and some sort of tax on tea, of all things. H-m-m-m? I'll have to check into this further and will get back to you. [/size']

Ah, that's all behind us now, isn't it old fruit! =;

The idea of Gibson UK running the same competition appeals - I much prefer the odds =P~

Ah' date=' that's all behind us now, isn't it old fruit! #-o

The idea of Gibson UK running the same competition appeals - I much prefer the odds ;)[/quote']

Just a little good natured fun between countries mate! (At least it was until you called me an old fruit! Choose your weapon, sir!!)

Just a little good natured fun between countries mate! (At least it was until you called me an old fruit! Choose your weapon' date=' sir!!) [/color']

I choose bugles at sunset ;)

Rats!! Do realize how long it took me to put my gattling gun together? Now' date=' where the hell did I put that bugle?[/color']

Well sir, I think the contest is over *plays The Last Post solemnly on his battered but trusty bugle* :)

Well sir' date=' I think the contest is over *plays The Last Post solemnly on his battered but trusty bugle* :D[/quote']

Ha, well dont mate. I concede the battle of the bugles!! (for further referece, don't take that bugle to a gun fight!)lol

Ha' date=' well dont mate. I concede the battle of the bugles!! (for further referece, don't take that bugle to a gun fight!)lol[/color']

I did once. Now they call me Lefty....

Archived