Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwnz

84' Explorer

Hello,

I recently purchased this 84' explorer and it is in good shape. I want to convert the Kahler to a TOM & tailpiece and I realize that this will require quite a bit of work. I am going to have a luthier do the work but I want to fully understand what I am getting in to before I commission the job. I know that the Kahler route is going to need to be filled with wood / veneer and then at a minimum the face of the guitar is going to need to be refinished (possibly the entire guitar). The headstock will also have holes from the old locking nut so I may opt to go ahead and do the entire guitar.

1) Will the tailpiece fit the existing studs used on this Kahler? 2) Is the Nashville TOM & Tailpiece recommended?

For locking tuners I am not wanting to add any additional holes. There are various brands out there including Grover, but I'm not sure which will be direct drop-in. I'm not getting new tuners for tuning stability issues or anything - I'm blacking out this guitar so I want black tuners and I prefer locking tuners.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/WTQDsKb

Thanks

Jeff

post-98311-039606900 1549010422_thumb.jpg