Gibson Brands Forums

Manic Depression

Buc McMaster

The vocal can certainly stand another 100 reps and perhaps a tweak here and there with the arrangement, but here's what I've got so far.

Hurl fruits and vegetables only, no stones please. Might give it a go at the Sunday open mic.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40IZObBVp4k

J-45 Vintage, Martin Retro .012 down half step, Blue Chip TP60.

Recorded on the Mac with Blue Yeti USB mic, reverb and compression added in Garageband.

The vocal can certainly stand another 100 reps and perhaps a tweak here and there with the arrangement, but here's what I've got so far.

Hurl fruits and vegetables only, no stones please. Might give it a go at the Sunday open mic.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40IZObBVp4k

J-45 Vintage, Martin Retro .012 down half step, Blue Chip TP60.

Recorded on the Mac with Blue Yeti USB mic, reverb and compression added in Garageband.

that was great Buc. I think I'll lay down a bass track to it. well done

It will be interesting to see the response you get if you do it an open mic. Are you going to introduce it, or just launch into it?

I love it, but unless you have a fairly sophisticated audience, they may say "WTF was that all about?"

Acoustic Hendrix? It boggles the mind, although there are several clips of him playing acoustic in party settings, and it's pretty awesome.

Good job, buckaroo.

Thanks folks. The tempo is still a bit quick here and I'm working on throttling down. And I do think this is one that gets no introduction at the open mic.....just hit that opening boom-boom-boom and launch off into it. Surprise is a good thing. Those that know the song will surely recognize it and those that don't will just have to deal with a little weirdness! [laugh]

The 45 does sound good, huh. Love this guitar with monel strings on it.......thumpy and fundamental as hell. I'm working on moving the pick attack position closer to and further from the saddle, back and forth in the right spots, to change the tone of the repetitive droning lick in this tune.......provides a nice dynamic change but a bit tricky to accomplish for me so far.......it'll get there. Also playing with grabbing the #5 machine head and cranking that last ringing A way down, back up quickly to pitch and punching the closing chord.........another cool effect but tough to do at speed. Trying to find ways to bring a little bit of Hendrix into the arrangement.

Thanks for listening! B)

......Monel strings, which ones?

As mentioned, Martin Retros, 12-54, but I change the 12 and 16 to 13 and 17 respectively. Little more resistance there and, I feel, a better balance with the other strings. When I order strings I order a matching number of 13 and 17 singles to make the swap.

Martins' Titaniums are very nice as well and have less apparent tension due to the Ti core. They're like cooked spaghetti noodles coming out of the package, limp as can be.

I am so digging those.

I bet, as time goes on and more comfort is gained, that you'll be able to find the spare bits of time to embellish it a bit to give it some Hendrix flare. Dbl stops, fret hand racing up and down the neck, etc.

I have a tendency to overdo things, but donning a 60's wig and some 60's apparel would be fun. Heck, just doing this has got to be fun.

On the Hendrix song on acoustic front, "Hey Joe" lends itself to both acoustic and multiple guitarists. What do they say - do pairs of related numbers? [thumbup]

I bet, as time goes on and more comfort is gained, that you'll be able to find the spare bits of time to embellish it a bit to give it some Hendrix flare. Dbl stops, fret hand racing up and down the neck, etc.

I've tried a few of those fret hand rips up and down the board and they just don't have the same effect on an acoustic, ya know? Moving the pick attack point closer to the bridge and back does produce a kind of flanged effect that sounds cool.......

Hey Buc - was wondering, did you do this at the open mic, how'd it go?!?

Didn't make the show this past Sunday but have intentions to get there this one coming and roll this one out. Should be fun!

Thanks for listening, guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived