Gibson Brands Forums

buying a J-200

moti

hey

i heard this guitar 2 years ago and i cant forget how awsome it sounded...

i never bought an acoustic in this price. i was about to buy Gibson J-15 two years ago, but now i have money for the J-200.

i have some questions cause i don't really understand in acoustic guitars.

1. there are verious models in 2019.

whats really the diffrence in sound between them?

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Super-Jumbo

i like the antique color more then the other colors. but i care about the sound more.

2. buying from ebay/amazon?

in my country (Israel) theres only 1 store who sells gibson. i dont like this store at all and they dont have the j200 right now and god knows when they will.

the best thing about it is that you can return it if you dont like it

but how can i buy guitar like this without playing on it first?

did you ever bought a guitar from abroad?

whats the best guitar site with international shipping?

please try to help

thank you

There are varying degrees of bling and tone woods -

Studio: More plainly appointed; Sitka and walnut

Standard: with traditional bling; sitka and flamed maple

Deluxe: additional appointments over the Stanard; Sitka and rosewood

Montana Gold: additional appointments more like Custom block inlays; Sitka and flamed maple.

Vintage: traditional bling; thermally aged (torrefied) adirondack top and flamed maple sides

Your going to have to play some examples to see what you like best. I bought a natural standard some years ago and still love it. If I was looking now I’d be interested in the torrefied Vintage, which wasn’t available when I bought my Standard.

Consider......

The J-15 you nearly bought two years ago was/is a short scale instrument while the J-200 in all its' incarnations is long scale, 24.75" v. 25.5". To some this matters not, but to others, myself included, a long scale instrument is intolerable.

Otherwise (if we did live on Venus and I was a long scale player) I'd be very interested in the Vintage version of the J-200. I like red spruce and the darker burst that the torrifaction process produces. Though it has become much more common and safer, personally I have not and will not buy a guitar without holding it in my hands......too many things to be considered. I do however recognize that some otherwise have little option to own the guitar of their dreams. I do hope it works out for you!

Sweetwater and Musicans Friend are both large mail order suppliers that ship internationally. The great part is, if you don't like it, you can send it back. So if you get a dud, you can try again. I think you get 30 days to decide to keep it or send it back. If you buy from them, I would call and talk to someone instead of just clicking and adding it to your cart. They can get a feel for what you are looking for even with in the same model. Not all standard j 200's sound the same, but they know what a good one is. They will play it for you if you want and match it to what you tell them. If you want a brighter one, they can find it. If you want one that is more mellow, they can find it. If you get it and don't think what they told you is what you hear, you can send it back. But if you talk to them and tell them what you want, the chance of having to send it back is much less. Also, they might give you their "best" price if you talk to someone directly.

I've owned a Standard natural with a Sitka spruce top and rosewood board and bridge and a vintage burst with Adirondack top and ebony board and bridge. J200's are amazing regardless of the model; Studio, Standard or Vintage. However, there is something special about the vintage model with the Adirondack top. If you have any options to get an Adirondack top on a J200 you should jump at it. They are that good!

CemTtvQ.jpg?1

It’s very difficult to be 100 percent satisfied when having to buy a guitar from abroad. Guitars are like snow flakes and every one is just a little bit different .

You most likely will have to pay import taxes on the guitar.If you are willing to take the risk of buying without playing the exact model you want I’d recommend Wildwood Guitars:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/acoustics/gibson-acoustics/super-jumbo/

One piece of advice : Be aware that some “custom” versions of the Sj 200 have Richlite Fingerboards and Bridges.If you want wood make sure the specs are clear in saying Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge.

Richlite is a synthetic material that Gibson has usedfor the last few years to replace ebony (an endangered wood).

The SJ 200 Standard automatically comes with Rosewood F/B

As does the Sj 200 Vintage.

I have nothing against Richlite ... I just think it’s important to know.

JC

thank you guys for the help!

i apologize for the spelling mistakes... (did i spell right apologize? haha)

we have here a great guitar tech guy that all of the best guitarists in Israel goes to. if i order the guitar he can check and tell me if it sounds good and if everything is ok. if i buy from the store here in Israel theres no return, the second you leave the store you cant retun it and the tech guy wont agree to come and check it cause he knows the sellers.

i lose the warrnty also if im buying from abroad... in order to use the warrnty ill need to ship it, and i dont like the idea of shipping a guitar, especily an acoustic one.

i understand that everybody here loves more the sunburst, deluxe and vintage colors and sound than the standard antique, but why?

can you explain more about the sound diffrence between them?

too bad theres no comparison video in youtube...

i really love the look of the standard antique and the gold montana aniversery one. but i prefer sound over beauty.

i also want to know why they cost more than the antique standrd? is the matirial more expaensive? is it manufactured in another location?

thank you guys for the help!

i apologize for the spelling mistakes... (did i spell right apologize? haha)

we have here a great guitar tech guy that all of the best guitarists in Israel goes to. if i order the guitar he can check and tell me if it sounds good and if everything is ok. if i buy from the store here in Israel theres no return, the second you leave the store you cant retun it and the tech guy wont agree to come and check it cause he knows the sellers.

i lose the warrnty also if im buying from abroad... in order to use the warrnty ill need to ship it, and i dont like the idea of shipping a guitar, especily an acoustic one.

i understand that everybody here loves more the sunburst, deluxe and vintage colors and sound than the standard antique, but why?

can you explain more about the sound diffrence between them?

too bad theres no comparison video in youtube...

i really love the look of the standard antique and the gold montana aniversery one. but i prefer sound over beauty.

i also want to know why they cost more than the antique standrd? is the matirial more expaensive? is it manufactured in another location?

The Sj 200 in Antique Natural is a great guitar.

A lot of guys here love the look of the old Sj 200’s so they own a vintage reissue.

But the Standard is a wonderful guitar.

The difference in sound is mostly due to Sitka Spruce being used on the Standard vs Red Spruce (Adirondack) on the Vintage [it’s also been thermally aged]

With the Sj 200 standard the Sitka will age on it’s own as you play it and own it.

Maple isn’t very loud and has quick decay so don’t expect it to have a ton of sustain or overtones like Mahogany or Rosewood.Maple is like a ghost ... the note is there one second or two and then it’s gone (until you strike the strings again).

If you want something with more sustain consider a Hummingbird which is Mahogany back and sides.

SJ 200 Standard demo:

SJ 200 True Vintage demo [these are now called just Vintage and have the thermally aged top]

What kind of music do you play or which artists do you like?

That may help give us a better idea of the sound you are looking for.

All the best.

JC

The Sj 200 in Antique Natural is a great guitar.

A lot of guys here love the look of the old Sj 200’s so they own a vintage reissue.

But the Standard is a wonderful guitar.

The difference in sound is mostly due to Sitka Spruce being used on the Standard vs Red Spruce (Adirondack) on the Vintage [it’s also been thermally aged]

With the Sj 200 standard the Sitka will age on it’s own as you play it and own it.

Maple isn’t very loud and has quick decay so don’t expect it to have a ton of sustain or overtones like Mahogany or Rosewood.Maple is like a ghost ... the note is there one second or two and then it’s gone (until you strike the strings again).

If you want something with more sustain consider a Hummingbird which is Mahogany back and sides.

SJ 200 Standard demo:

SJ 200 True Vintage demo [these are now called just Vintage and have the thermally aged top]

What kind of music do you play or which artists do you like?

That may help give us a better idea of the sound you are looking for.

All the best.

JC

I owned a 2003 SJ200 Historic Collection for many years. Gigged it until it literally fell apart, well over 1500 shows, several refrets, two headstock repairs, endless wear and tear. Beautiful guitar.

I now own a 2015 SJ200 Standard in AN. It's a glorious instrument, even better than the 2003 already, at only 4yrs old.

The Vintage and Standard are just different flavours of the same sandwich...and when it comes to SJ200s, I take the Zevon approach and enjoy EVERY one.

Any J-200 will suffice.

Purely from an aesthetic point-of-view, I like the antique natural finish on the J-200 best since it makes the figured maple shine.

I have always bought from abroad with shipping involved. My recent purchase was a custom-made Gibson J-180, and I would wager to say that Gibson, dealers, and even private sellers around the globe have figured out cross-border shipping by now—the very nature of most of their business nowadays—so that I am never really worried as to shipping casualties anymore.

That there's no return or warranty policy in Israel, though, is disappointing to hear to say the least.

Last night my wife and I went to an open mic night hosted by a music shop. She brought her 1960 J-200 and me my 1957 CF-100E. My wife is pretty much a straight ahead strummer and the compliments about the sound of her guitar just flew. Nobody paid any note to my CF-100E or the other 1950s LG-2 that was in the room. Just more proof that while a J-200 can handle pretty much anything you throw at it they remain the best strummers on the planet. The thing about the J-200 though is they seem to be that Gibson which nobody is indifferent about. You either cannot live with out one or you can leave them. While I have heard the J-200 referred to as the Grand Piano of guitars sometimes you just need a bit of barrelhouse.

Gibson-J-200-1.jpg

Sweetwater usually shows the exact Pic of their Guitars with Serial number & Weight. They do a 50 point Inspection & basic Set up before Delivery.... Their Customer Service is 100% excellent.... Their Return, Exchange & Refund Policy is too..

I've purchased many Guitars, Amps & other Gear over the years from all the major online Stores. Sweetwater does the best overall job...

Sweetwater and Musicans Friend are both large mail order suppliers that ship internationally. The great part is, if you don't like it, you can send it back.

Not sure how that would work with an international sale. Sweetwater says 30 days from the ship date. Musicians Friend is 45 days from the sale date, but says international return policy will be stated on the packing slip. Anyway, it seems like shipping to and from Israel plus customs clearance both ways might take quite some time. Would be wise to get some clarity on this from the vendor before making any assumptions on returnability. :)

Personally, I have never bought an guitar that I couldn't play first and I doubt that I ever will. I realize that's a problem for the OP, but perhaps there's a friend on relative in the US that could help with this? Or perhaps you could wait until you have an opportunity to visit here, or maybe another country in the EU where you could actually play the instrument?

I'd be giving Wildwood Guitars a call in Colorado. I'm sure they ship internationally, usually have a huge selection In stock and their prices are very good. They'll even get out every J200 they have in stock and play them all and pick the one they think matches best with what you're looking for. I've witnessed them doing this in person where a few employees were actually playing guitars for each other in the store and discussing which one would be best for a customer who had called earlier when I was there several years ago picking out a J45.

FWIW, I've owned two J200 Standards, both from 2012. One sounded glorious and regret selling it everyday, the other was a stunner visually, but really sounded like garbage.

I'd be giving Wildwood Guitars a call in Colorado. I'm sure they ship internationally, usually have a huge selection In stock and their prices are very good. They'll even get out every J200 they have in stock and play them all and pick the one they think matches best with what you're looking for. I've witnessed them doing this in person where a few employees were actually playing guitars for each other in the store and discussing which one would be best for a customer who had called earlier when I was there several years ago picking out a J45.

FWIW, I've owned two J200 Standards, both from 2012. One sounded glorious and regret selling it everyday, the other was a stunner visually, but really sounded like garbage.

Great choice too. Great high end, FSR ltd. editions & Custom Shop Guitars! Especially if price isn't an object.. They usually aren't the best when it comes to deal...

Since your in Israel you should check out some european dealers.

In germany we have some bix box stores that do international shipping.

for example:

https://www.thomann.de/de/helpdesk_shipping.html?country=ISR

Even better would be a smaller store in my opinion, cause they care more about what they send out and communication is always better.

Here is a link to a nice smaller store here in germany. I bought from them and had good communication before my purchase and got a really great guitar

https://www.musikhaus-hermann.de/gibson-sj200-standard-2018-antique-natural-42933/

Don't know if they ship to Isreal, and if so, whats the return policy.

If I was in the market for a J-200 I would hunt down a used j-200 True Vintage in natural!

Consider......

The J-15 you nearly bought two years ago was/is a short scale instrument while the J-200 in all its' incarnations is long scale, 24.75" v. 25.5". To some this matters not, but to others, myself included, a long scale instrument is intolerable.

Otherwise (if we did live on Venus and I was a long scale player) I'd be very interested in the Vintage version of the J-200. I like red spruce and the darker burst that the torrifaction process produces. Though it has become much more common and safer, personally I have not and will not buy a guitar without holding it in my hands......too many things to be considered. I do however recognize that some otherwise have little option to own the guitar of their dreams. I do hope it works out for you!

While not a true SJ200, the 2016 SJ100 Walnut I just bought is short scale which works surprisingly well with light strings on such a big top.

While not a true SJ200, the 2016 SJ100 Walnut I just bought is short scale which works surprisingly well with light strings on such a big top.

Oops, I stand corrected, The store I purchased my SJ100 from (Long & MaQuade) has incorrect info. I just compared with my Eastman E10D (D18 style) & my SJ100 is indeed long scale.

Great choice too. Great high end, FSR ltd. editions & Custom Shop Guitars! Especially if price isn't an object.. They usually aren't the best when it comes to deal...

My experience has been the opposite. I've bought two guitars form them, the J45 in person and then ordered a 00-18 from them several years later and got an incredible price on both.

My experience has been the opposite. I've bought two guitars form them, the J45 in person and then ordered a 00-18 from them several years later and got an incredible price on both.

I've tried to buy Guitars from them for at least the past 10 years & I always find their Prices higher than their competitors.... In that time I've bought about 15 Guitars.

I wish they weren't. I'd like to buy from them....

L

Outside of USA it is difficult to get an exact model of American made guitars even here in UK. The Gibsons I have all came from the States. Yes you do take a chance when buying abroad but it's a small one . I suggest you take advise from one of our fellow USA members and buy from that retailer. If in the end you don't like the guitar you can sell it on your home market and I would be very surprised if you don't end up making a profit.

hey

i heard this guitar 2 years ago and i cant forget how awsome it sounded...

i never bought an acoustic in this price. i was about to buy Gibson J-15 two years ago, but now i have money for the J-200.

i have some questions cause i don't really understand in acoustic guitars.

1. there are verious models in 2019.

whats really the diffrence in sound between them?

https://www.gibson.c...ars/Super-Jumbo

i like the antique color more then the other colors. but i care about the sound more.

2. buying from ebay/amazon?

in my country (Israel) theres only 1 store who sells gibson. i dont like this store at all and they dont have the j200 right now and god knows when they will.

the best thing about it is that you can return it if you dont like it

but how can i buy guitar like this without playing on it first?

did you ever bought a guitar from abroad?

whats the best guitar site with international shipping?

please try to help

thank you

I got a killer price on my CS Maple AJ too. Even with the CITES permit and local taxes etc it was cheaper than any price they were ever sold for in the UK.

I guess they can't be rock bottom on every guitar, but they were for me.

Oops, I stand corrected, The store I purchased my SJ100 from (Long & MaQuade) has incorrect info. I just compared with my Eastman E10D (D18 style) & my SJ100 is indeed long scale.

Yeah, the J100 Walnut is a monster guitar. Awesome thump to the base. In regards to the J200, if I get one it will definitely be maple. Love the sound of my Dove.

Please please tell us about a U.S. retailer that discounts Gibson acoustics more than Wildwood. Who is "the best when it comes to a deal?"

I've always thought Wildwwod and CME were at the top of the heap.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried to buy Guitars from them for at least the past 10 years & I always find their Prices higher than their competitors.... In that time I've bought about 15 Guitars.

I wish they weren't. I'd like to buy from them....

L

Your banging of the Sweetwater drum intrigued me so I checked. Phone quotes on the J185 Vintage ... Sweetwater $4650, Wildwood $4200. Quote on Martin 000-30 Authentic ... Sweetwater $6599, Wildwood $5700, MFG $5150.

Archived