Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic quality issues

tedm

I LOVE Gibson acoustics .... I have twelve of them at present BUT Martin, Taylor, and even Takamine don't seem to have the problems Gibson do ....... why is that ? from lifting figerboards on custom shop J200 vines to masking tape adhesive marks under the lacquer on high end J200's ........... why ? why ? why ?

tedm

I understand your poll.

Gibson's 'quality' is always under fire on these on line forums. More so than other brands. I am not sure it is fair or justified, but it is obvious to me.

My 04 L-00 Blues King developed some checking on the headstock last month, even though it did not leave the house and was properly humidified. Besides that it is excellant inside and out.

Oh and the tone and playability: perfection! My favorite guitar. I would rate it a 95/100.

Gibsons are great!

Don't have a clue what Polls about!

My J45 was a reject still has the hole in the back of the headstock where some XXXX goouged out the "2" they printed into it.

My SWD 12 was ex evilbay and needed a neck reset to get it in the front door.

Both 100% perfect for me

My J-185 EC is perfect. I had it looked at by two different guitar techs when I got it. And all they said was, "its flawless, and never sell it. But if you do call me first". Im not sure why someone would buy 11 other multi thousand dollar guitars if they were having problems with the first say, "six". But if they sound great then thats all that matters anyway. As I said when I got mine, "this isnt a museum piece, im playing this guitar".

Ted

My '05 J-45 Historic Collection's nut slots weren't deep enough - until I broke out the narrow little lens file I've had since 1986 and fixed them. The pickguard has issues, too - when they put it on, there was probably some dust or something, and there's a line in it that only I see. More obvious, for some unknown reason, Gibson INSISTS on putting their (correctly radiused, even!) pickguards on in such a way as to COVER the treble side of the rosette, rather than outline it as they did for decades. When it bothers me enough, I'll either replace the 'guard or lift if off and reapply it with that handy adhesive Stewart-Macdonald sells. Not a biggie.

On the other hand, this is THE most comfortable new guitar I've ever played in my life. It's one of the five or six best sounding acoustic guitars of any vintage I've ever played, period, including a really amazing '50 J-45 AND the '62 J-50 played by my blues mentor, Steve Belew. Best of all, it just suits me and fits me and what I do better than any other guitar I've ever encountered - and I've encountered a LOT of guitars.

So, ultimately, no complaints.

WOW I'm surprised that I've even had some response !! come on guys, bear with me .....this is the first time I've ever been on any sort of forum ..... and I have no idea where to look for the "rules" like my poll ??? what is that, where do I find how to enter subjects for discussion ? I seem to have asked the question in the wrong place ??? anyway like I said I love Gibson acoustics, and I've had quite a few over the years ... some really good and some .... well ..... really bad I've played them in loads of different venues and even different countries so they don't just sit in a museum as someone seemed to suggest, however, it seems that maybe I've just been unlucky with the quality of my high end Gibson acoustics ..... or could it be that I expect them to be of similar quality to other wonderful guitars like Martin, Taylor and yes even Takamine ! Ironically the standard production line acoustics I have ..... J45, J185's, J200 are fine ........ but custom shop more expensive guitars are where I have problems !!

anyway for all who responded thanks and I'm really pleased that you are happy with your guitars

tedm

Hey Ted,

Welcome to the forum! And I don't think people meant to give you a hard time about your question. I think maybe the way it was phrased was a bit confusing at first, but I think people understand your message.

To your point, there are a couple of things I can say. One is that there is definitely variability of tone from one Gibson Acoustic to the next, even in the same model. Maybe more so than with some other builders. Some people find this annoying and tend to attribute this to quality control issues. I'm not so sure this is the right way to look at it. After all, we are talking about instruments that are made out of wood. Being a natural material, wood will vary from one piece to the next, and this will affect the tone of a guitar. I look at it more like the variation in a given model offers more options. Between two J45s, I might prefer one and someone else might prefer the other. The key is to find the guitar that is right for you.

The other issue (the one I think you were more pointing towards) is that of issues with workmanship. Overall, I think the quality of the instruments being produced in Bozeman is really high, but of course with anything hand made there will variations (and yes, mistakes) from one guitar to the next. Overall, I have not seen many out right "mistakes" on the Gibson acoustics I have looked at recently. In fact, I see much more on the Gibson electrics than on the acoustics. But, they do still happen from time to time.

I recently bought an Advanced Jumbo. It has a few minor cosmetic flaws. The coloring on the back is a bit lighter in a couple of spots than others, and I don't think it is the wood. Also, there are spots where the color of the pickguard is lighter than the rest of it. Looks like maybe something was on the wood when the pickguard was glued down, and these lighter spots are where it did not adhere as well. I'm not sure. But bottom line, the structural build is great, and the guitar sounds incredible and plays heavenly. I am more than willing to overlook these minor imperfections for the joy I get from playing this instrument. Sure, I would prefer it if these imperfections were not there, but I am not going to sweat it. Like a previous poster, I have decided my guitars are to be played and I am not nearly as concerned with them looking shiny and perfect as I used to be.

Anyway, enjoy your guitars! It sounds like you do even though they have those minor personality touches!

John

tedm,

What threw me was the "Gibson acoustics" and "quality?" categories. Was that a question?, and if so, it wasn't clear. I do get what you're saying about Gibson quality details. But on the whole I think Gibson is as well made as Martin, Taylor, Guild, and other assembly line guitars. Maybe more quirks, to be sure, but will hold up as long or longer.

But what a sound. No production guitar has that Gibbie sound to my ears, and that is everything.

Martin' date=' Taylor, and even Takamine don't seem to have the problems Gibson do ....... why is that ? [/quote']

My HD-28V Martin, a top-of-the-line $4100 MSRP guitar left the factory already needing a neck reset. Don't kid yourself thinking Gibson is at the top of the QC issues chart.

I am approaching my silver-haired years and have owned many guitars. One of the things I've learned is not to look at my guitars in microscopic detail. Guitars are machines made of wood, and wood, like all natural materials contains some flaws. If I look at any guitar long enough - particularly those made by human hands, I'll be able to find a flaw. What matters most to me is how they feel, how they play and how they sound.

The most pefectly unflawed guitar I've ever owned (and still own) is my Martin Custom D16RGTE. It had a special sunburst gloss top that was absolutely flawless - right up until the day I banged it against the corner of my coffee table.

It's all relative. Just play the darn things.

I am approaching my silver-haired years and have owned many guitars. One of the things I've learned is not to look at my guitars in microscopic detail. Guitars are machines made of wood' date=' and wood, like all natural materials contains some flaws. If I look at any guitar long enough - particularly those made by human hands, I'll be able to find a flaw. What matters most to me is how they feel, how they play and how they sound.

The most pefectly unflawed guitar I've ever owned (and still own) is my Martin Custom D16RGTE. It had a special sunburst gloss top that was absolutely flawless - right up until the day I banged it against the corner of my coffee table.

It's all relative. Just play the darn things.[/quote']

Yep.

My J45RW was flawless, untill I dropped a phone on it, ran into the door jam with it, spilled a beer on it, wacked a mic stand with it, wacked a cymbal with it, and had a bass player wack me with it on.

It sounds and plays great.

I forgot the topic?

Murph.

My J45RW was flawless, untill I dropped a phone on it, ran into the door jam with it, spilled a beer on it, wacked a mic stand with it, wacked a cymbal with it, and had a bass player wack me with it on.

It sounds and plays great.

Murph, I think you and your guitar should be coated in a protective layer of NERF!

But it's a good point. I love vintage Gibsons - they are my passion. Sometimes I come across a 50 to 60 year old guitar that is in absolutely pristine condition and I actually feel sorry for it. It's like a neglected child. For a guitar, a life spent unplayed, in its case, tucked under a bed, is a life wasted. I love the ones that have lots of playwear. Scratches and scrapes are the marks of a well-loved guitar.

I'm not saying we should tolerate poor workmanship. But I feel we shouldn't get too far down in the weeds about the absolute smallest details, since eventually, the guitar is going to earn a few battle scars anyway. Like your J45RW.

Just imagine the headaches you'd have if you had 12 wives! 12 Honey-Do lists. 12 PMS times. 12 opinions of how the furniture should be arranged. (12 garages to clean?) I only have ONE Gibson and no wife. I have to change strings and get set ups but no more often that my Tacoma or my Washburn. I think the Gibson is a great guitar (but I have liked Gibson since 1954)(just could not afford one). I have no complaints about the Tacoma or the Washburn either (the latter is electric) I also have a Hamer Newport Custom Pro (love that sweet heart) But you know -- I have a $150 Yamaha (FG04 Ltd) and got it from Craigs list and take where I'd never take a Gibson or even a Tacoma. Sooo... I like all of them and they all fit into my scheme of use. I will give the Yamaha to the grand daughter as soon as she learns to play. I will keep the Gibson and the Hamer until I die. Hope by that time one of the grand kids can appreciate a fine guitar. I will ask me daughter to give it to one of them when they are 22 or so. The Gibson is made a lot better than the Tacoma. But I have no complaints about any of them. (PS I did not like my Baby Taylor)(I respect Martin)

Archived