Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Acoustic Website

docr

Just for my understanding - I had a look at the "New Gibson Brands" website to look for the acoustics catalogue. Did I miss something or is the offer really dramatically tightended? The "old" Website showed models from the last years, the new one obviously only the 2019 models. I did not find the J35 - clear, there this has been discussed in this forum, no J50, no J185, no "normal" Dove and the Bob Dylan SJ200 disappered, too. Do you think this will be just the starting point for a new product portfolio or it will stay this way? Anyhow, it reduces complexity... and I am lucky to have found some of the missing models in the last years.

Maybe I am wrong - but has the number of versions with "cutaway" grown? A nice feature for solo guitarists, but for me as a "maximum 5th fret player" nothing I need, I like the classical look accepting the disadvantage of not reached high frets.

I counted 46 guitars on their acoustic page. https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Acoustic How many more do you want? Doesn't strike me as "dramatically tightended" (whatever that means ;) ). But I rarely visit their site, so maybe I don't appreciate what has changed. The J-50 is one of those guitars that comes and goes over the years, so it's absence is certainly no surprise. Don't know much about those other models. But I'm not suprised that a bankrupt company is re-aligning their product line.

I'm in favor of the slimmer product line. A move in the right direction, I believe. However, personally I would not be dissapointed if an SJ, AJ, and J-35 replaced some of the J-45 and weird Hummingbird variants, but that's just me being traditionally inclined.

Lars

However, personally I would not be dissapointed if an SJ, AJ, and J-35 replaced some of the J-45 and weird Hummingbird variants, but that's just me being traditionally inclined.

Lars

Myself, also.

I'm in favor of the slimmer product line. A move in the right direction, I believe. However, personally I would not be dissapointed if an SJ, AJ, and J-35 replaced some of the J-45 and weird Hummingbird variants, but that's just me being traditionally inclined.

Lars

Amen! There are so many J45s now that just what a J45 is/was is questionable. A J45 can be literally anything with "J45" stamped on it...... And the AJ, bird, and J200 are clearly on he same path. I'm all for Gibson making more great guitars, but they are watering-down the legends.

I wish they would ditch the VOS finish on some of their "historic" models. I don't want a guitar with a finish that looks like it has 50 years of fingerprints all over it.

I'd rather do that myself with my own fingers!

Fred

+1 on that Fred!

Not having the year on the back of the headstock is no big deal, but the year of your guitar was made certainly does matter. There is huge difference in owning a '59 LP and an '08 LP. Due to condition it could be like several thousands dollars to 100's of thousand of dollars.

Well ,

You didn’t get the message.

He was obviously talkiing about “modern produced” guitars.

A 2019 Les Paul or J 200 should be no different than a 2020 Les Paul or J 200 under the new management’s view.

Obviously the vintage stuff is something else.

JC

2. The new management has been clear about not confusing the consumer anymore.

They have also said that the “model year” on the back of the headstock is over.That it shouldn’t matter what year it is as long as the produxt has quality.

JC

Hmmm .. 13 J-45 ‘s . No confusion there. And enough with Banner year headstocks on non Banner year models ! [rolleyes]

Hmmm .. 13 J-45 ‘s . No confusion there. And enough with Banner year headstocks on non Banner year models ! [rolleyes]

G,

Those products were already in production before the current management took over.I’m sure by next year we will see a lot less J 45 style guitars.

On the electric side I believe they only have 3 different lines of SG,Les Pauls and ES models.Along with some specific designer and artist models.

I think by 2020 the acoustic side should go through something similar ... at least that’s the plan.

Notice the new G 45’s are not called J 45 Generation .

That’s a good example.

JC

The new management also mentioned for reaching out to many genders. I thought there were only two, acoustic and electric guitar players. Maybe he was talking about something other, but with that being said there is still only two.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thumbing through the thick Sweetwater catalog that came in the mail the other day. There are 20 pages of acoustic guitars. Only one page of Gibson acoustics. 4 pages of Taylors, plus a two-page ad. 3 pages of Martins plus a one-page ad. There are 5 Gibson models shown: Hummingbird, L-00 Sustainable, Parlor Avant Garde, SJ-200 Vintage and Songwriter.

I assume that Sweetwater has additional models on their website, but the offerings are pretty sparse in the catalog.... not even a J-45! The cover of the catalog shows a Taylor acoustic and Fender bass in the background, with a Gibson electric guitar front and center. ;)

Archived