Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buddyw

Guitar Strap

I have never had a guitar with the strap attaching at the headstock. I just thought it would be hard on the guitar neck. Well I have recently bought a guitar with out any button other then on the bottom of the guitar to hook a strap to. So I just bought a strap that will let me connect to the headstock.

My question is that ok with out worrying down the road about neck damage.

Edited by buddyw

No problem, as you won't be pulling down on it as much as pulling toward you.

I prefer head stock attachment so the guitar balances more or less when I let go both hands.

Edited by jedzep

You can order a new strap button with the mounting screw, for the appropriate spot on the body, for just a few bucks.

Drill a small pilot hole (to keep from cracking the wood), and then just screw it in.

What kind of guitar, acoustic or electric?

[mellow]

You can order a new strap button with the mounting screw, for the appropriate spot on the body, for just a few bucks.

Drill a small pilot hole (to keep from cracking the wood), and then just screw it in.

What kind of guitar, acoustic or electric?

[mellow]

It is a Gibson J 100 Extra 1994 100 year Anniversary and I dont want to put one on it some where that i might mess it up. I have always been a natural finish guitar person and was thinking of trading or selling to get one. But for now i am liking it.

All my guitars have a strap attachment at the headstock. Since I'm always seated while playing, I don't worry about stress on the headstock or neck. I have the strap primarily as a safety precaution to prevent my guitar from sliding off of my lap. The strap is pretty slack just laying over my shoulders. However, if I wasn't always sitting-down while playing, I would likely wonder about putting stress on the neck.

All my guitars have a strap attachment at the headstock. Since I'm always seated while playing, I don't worry about stress on the headstock or neck. I have the strap primarily as a safety precaution to prevent my guitar from sliding off of my lap. The strap is pretty slack just laying over my shoulders. However, if I wasn't always sitting-down while playing, I would likely wonder about putting stress on the neck.

Thank you for all the response great input and I thank you for it

My SJ200 didn't have one, I tried the strap at the headstock, but I didn't like how it rested on my shoulder, it's like it was to far to the left... just didn't do it for me.

Should you endeavor to add one yourself, indeed it's easy to put the pin in, as suggested, just drill two holes a small one and then the correct size.

Then just put some tape on the drill bit to mark the depth needed. Make sure when you line the drill and the screw up, all you see are the screw threads, that would indicate the right bit

it goes here:

30813681_10209342289913753_3713341864047487487_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=c147a1586ada3c254e273b9f615fff3d&oe=5CE5F7E6