Gibson Brands Forums

College Roomates...

harmonicchaos

I'm not in college yet (still got a couple years) but recently I've been thinking about what I'm going to do to prevent my gear from getting stolen or harmed by a room-mate or someone of the like. I DO NOT want to leave my gear at home. That isn't even a option. I expect I'll have my 2 guitars, an amp and maybe a bass. So what did you all do during college to keep your gear safe or what do you recommend.

My current idea is keeping everything padlocked and maybe tying/chaining it to something heavy such as the amp or my bed when not in use.

I'm not in college yet (still got a couple years) but recently I've been thinking about what I'm going to do to prevent my gear from getting stolen or harmed by a room-mate or someone of the like. I DO NOT want to leave my gear at home. That isn't even a option. I expect I'll have my 2 guitars' date=' an amp and maybe a bass. So what did you all do during college to keep your gear safe or what do you recommend.

My current idea is keeping everything padlocked and maybe tying/chaining it to something heavy such as the amp or my bed when not in use.[/quote']

I went to a small Christian University and never even thought of that possibility. I lived in a single dorm room. It was just big enough for me and my loft. Under my loft I had a Peavey TNT 100 for my Alembic Bass, my small fridge, my Lazzy Boy and my bicycle. I kept my door locked and even with all the pranks (my dorm room door was actually removed one time while I was away for the weekend) my stuff stayed safe.

Others in the dorm had musical instruments too. No one stole anything from anybody. It was a great experience.

My advise to you is to take lots of pictures of your stuff, record your serial numbers, and keep everything in its locked case. Chain the cases together with a long heavy cable or chain, that way no one will be able to move it easily. Most dorms have security cameras now a days. People also have to use a key card to enter and exit most buildings, so that's some added security.

Good luck.

as a person who spent wayyy too many years in college i have had at least 9 different roomates!

most were cool as hell and respected my stuff and my space...

i wasnt into guitars that much unfortunately when i was in college...i had turntables and monitors and synths and drum machines...but gear wise almost 5k worth of stuff!

i never had issues with the roomies because i let them know up front that this **** is mine!

get some good hard shell cases...your amp store with the speaker not facing out...this way there isnt any accidental kicks when you guys come back stumbling home from a party/bar.

the idea of padlocking everything and weighing it down may be a bit extreme...and plus the roomies will resent that a bit!

i know i would...just be upfront about your ****...make sure you have good cases...maybe even a bike chain or something through all the handles...but that should be more than enough...store them under your bed...or in your closet...if your dorms are anything like the ones i had to experience space will be very limited!

your vm also is a great guitar i have one too that i will add a B7 to after seeing yours...but its also a budget guitar in the sense that if its lost or stolen...its not the complete end of the world...an R8 now thats a different story...you can even look into the idea of storage for your axes if leaving them home isnt an option!

but if i were you...sell anything you dont need right away if you dont want to store it and bring up the essentials only...the more gear you have the more you have to worry about!

and lastly just chill because i think in general your roomates will respect your stuff as long as you respect theirs!

Well, when I was in college I didn't have any gear that was particularly great - an X shaped Ibanez guitar with stickers on it and a Peavey amp with a nondescript 2x12 cab loaded with two Peavey speakers - so nobody was looking to snag that stuff.

The best prevention is to choose roommates who are considerate and cool; you probably won't have a choice or at least know anyone as far as roommate selection goes for your first semester so you'll just have to hope for the best. But, after that and you get to know people, pick roommates carefully.

I don't know where you're planning to go to school but worth noting is that most underclassman dorms are SMALL so you might not be bringing along as much stuff as you think. Two guitars and a bass doesn't seem like much until you have two people living with bunk beds, desks, a TV and whatever else you guys have in a room that's probably not a lot larger than your own bedroom at home.

College can be a fun and crazy time. If I were you, I'd just bring your least favorite or cheapest guitar and amp rather than having to worry about your nice stuff getting messed up or stolen.

What others have said - only bring minimum essentials because you are there to earn a degree not just play guitar and it's less to worry about. Take pics and list serial numbers. If you insist on taking expensive gear you could have the snag chip installed in your guitar at least. Check into renters insurance too - see if it will cover college dorms.

Also, I think it helps to realize that it's just a piece of wood with strings and for the most part it's replacable.

Another option would be to try to make friends with one of the college art or music professors. In the places I went to, just hanging out in the area and talking shop with the professors got me a music locker to hold all my gear, along with unlimited darkroom access. Seriously, check out photography if you can. I learned a ton and sparked a new obsession, and most campuses that I've been to have 24 hour access to the art building. I'd go in at about 10:00 pm, campus security unlocked the door for me, and I could jam out as loud as I wanted in one of the practice rooms, do some photo stuff, flirt with the hippie art chicks in the ceramics lab.... so yeah. Before I get too wistful here, I'll just say that the art building can be a sanctuary if you play your cards right.

You will also have to refine your practical joke skills why living in the dorms.

No.1 If your neighbor has huge speakers in his room, wire them up when he leaves his room open. You have to go through the base of the wall with the wire so he'll never know. That way in the middle of the night you can crank the Metal loud as hell and have lots of fun listening to him fumble around to try and figure out what the hell just happened.

No.2 Confetti is good when it's stuffed every where.

No.3 Switching roomate's stuff around. If you have enough help try switching everything from room A to room B and vice-versa.

No.4 Dumping a bucket of water on someone while they're in the can. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "taking a dump".

No.5 Panty raids on the Girls dormitory. After you succeed in this you must proudly display the trophies by stringing them across one of the major campus walkways from one dormitory window to say a tree or lamppost on on the other side of the walkway. Hang a great poem with them. Something like "Roses are red, violets are blue, we've got your bras and your panties too!"

No.6 Stinky Fish in the air vents of the Girls dormitory.

No.7 Let the Ladybugs loose! They'll be everywhere in someone's room. EVERYWHERE!.

No.8 Plastic wrap the contents of a room.

I'm not trying to argue with everybody here, but when I started college guitar was just a hobby for me. By the time I graduated I had an acoustic show at least twice a week on the strip and was working on my lead chops to start a band with. The best times of my life were playing those acoustic shows to all of my college friends. I wouldn't pass any of those times up for anything. It's too bad that I don't remember much of them...

Long story short is that I don't think you should just put your guitar down and focus solely on school. School will take time and effort, but if you are passionate about the guitar it would be a shame to put it down.

Quite a bit of this has been helpful.

Leaving my gear at home is not an option because I'm going to be FAR away from home and don't intend on visiting much... if at all.

I definitely am going to take my gear because I intend on having bands, making a bit of $$$ playing, and I may even major or minor in some type of musical division.

There's no way that I'm going to slow down too much or heaven forbid quit guitar... I'd go fuking bonkers without it.

I agree with bare essentials. I think that includes an amp, 2 guitars, and possibly a bass. +:-@

I think I'll just lock and tie and be upfront with roomates and get some really BIG friends... nothing better than a guitar bodyguard +:-@

I'm not trying to argue with everybody here' date=' but when I started college guitar was just a hobby for me. By the time I graduated I had an acoustic show at least twice a week on the strip and was working on my lead chops to start a band with. The best times of my life were playing those acoustic shows to all of my college friends. I wouldn't pass any of those times up for anything. It's too bad that I don't remember much of them...

Long story short is that I don't think you should just put your guitar down and focus solely on school. School will take time and effort, but if you are passionate about the guitar it would be a shame to put it down. [/quote']

I agree. College is half studying; and half having fun, trying new things and meeting people from many different backgrounds. You also should think about either starting a band or playing in an existing band. You will have a ton of free time on your hands--so find a good balance between studying and screwing around. Too much of either is bad thing.

I agree. College is half studying; and half having fun' date=' trying new things and meeting people from many different backgrounds. You also should think about either starting a band or playing in an existing band. You will have a ton of free time on your hands--so find a good balance between studying and screwing around. Too much of either is bad thing.[/quote']

Exactly my thoughts!

I never had any problems with any of my gear being stolen or tampered with... as far as I know. I kept one electric, an acoustic and a small Crate amp with me as well as a Guitarport for my computer, which is what I mainly used. On the other hand, one room mate would eat all my food and drink anything I had and the other ****** sold drugs out of the room... So I spent my last year and a half in a single room, it was so much better.

Archived