Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FZ Fan

Tone Woods

I own 5 acoustics. 4 are 6 string and one is a 12'er. I have one with Rosewood back and sides and a Spruce top, one with Maple back and sides and a Spruce Top, one that is Mahogany back and sides and a Spruce top, another with Mahogany back and sides and a Spruce top (my only 12'er), and last one is Mahogany back, sides and top. All have Mahogany necks except for the Maple one which has a Maple neck. Am I missing any of the major tone woods?

Cedar is perhaps the sweetest and warmest top. not for a thrasher though. it will break up, and it is soft - Trigger in no time.

I have seen so many tonewood discussions on AGF... Ovankol (sp?), sipo, sapele, grandillo, koa.... rosewwoodesque and mahoganyesque.... Never tried them. Wait... Actually the back of my J45-Mahogany does not look like Honduran Mahogany.... it looks like sipo.

I’ve realised over the years that mahogany is my favourite back and sides

Or rather , in a league of my favourite guitars mahogany is at the top

But I have a walnut j15 that i enjoy greatly

I’d never shop for a guitar based on a wood .

I couldn’t care if it was plywood if it sounded nice

And hey , I’m not being a smart arse FZ

Just interested in discussing people’s modus operandi for picking the next guitar

Not sure I could afford a Koa guitar. Yeah like you said isn't Sapele like Mahogany but from Africa, and isn't Grandillo like Rosewood but from South America? I've never heard of Sipo. Is Cedar just for the top?

Sipo is like sapele...

Cedar - yes for tops. Most classical guitars have cedar tops. Some Takamine's made in Japan have cedar tops. Really sweet warm sound. Not a bluegrass top for sure.

Just interested in discussing people’s modus operandi for picking the next guitar

I want to build a foundation of acoustics across tone woods and body types, and I have a pretty solid wish list established (with the next one being a mahogany dread with 1 3/4 nut... aka jumbo re-issue) Once I build my foundation, any new additions would be based on the 'if it sounds good criteria'. If I'm being honest, it's probably going to be awhile before I progress past my J45, but if I never progress further, I'm still a happy man ;)

Foundation

•  
  • J45
  • Hog Dread with 1 3/4 Nut
  • Rosewood Dread
  • Hummingbird (probably mahogany)
  • Something maple
  • SJ-200
  • L0 / L00

And then I'll start to look for the general population of ... 'if it sounds good'

A good friend of mine has two Cole Clark guitars. They're both Zebrawood (whatever that is). Both are real nice guitars to look at and listen to, but I really don't know if they sound much different from your "everyday good guitar." I like the various looks in the various grains of wood, but in all sincerity, to me a good guitar sounds like a good guitar. There are certainly differences in the sound produced from the many different tonewoods, but I think most of the sound revolves around the build of the guitar itself.......Anyway, I might be cutting-back on guitars too. Might grab me a J200 somewhere along the line, but I'll get rid of a couple others before I do.

Cedar is perhaps the sweetest and warmest top. not for a thrasher though. it will break up, and it is soft - Trigger in no time.

I have seen so many tonewood discussions on AGF... Ovankol (sp?), sipo, sapele, grandillo, koa.... rosewwoodesque and mahoganyesque.... Never tried them. Wait... Actually the back of my J45-Mahogany does not look like Honduran Mahogany.... it looks like sipo.

my Taylor Grand Symphony, hog and ceder, it's great for finger plukin,... I don't have a heavy hand so it works as strummer too. (well works for me,, it IS a Taylor..)

Kidding aside, this is the one guitar, in all my days of horse trading, that I was just immediately smitten by when I picked it up while visiting a music store on vacation about 5 hours from home. had no plans to buy a guitar that day, never mind one north of 2k (this was 2006 dollars)

That sucker came home with me. largest impulse trigger I ever pulled.

I've got a lot of the bases covered but a crappy ear for sound. Seems I like a lot of thump or a lot of sustain while ringing like a bell and of course it has to play like buttah.

Here's the tonewood combinations I have with the acoustics. There's a few species of spruce, mahogany and rosewood involved.

Spruce over mahogany

Spruce over koa

Spruce over maple

Spruce over walnut

Spruce over rosewood

Spruce over laminate

All mahogany

All koa

I only own two non-Gibson acoustic guitars, one is made of steel (1935 Dobro M32) and one is a Cedar over Mahogany Takamine jumbo, which has been with me for donkeys' years. It's a BIG guitar (17.5" lower bout!) and absolutely sweet as peaches and smooth as butter. A totally different beast to my Maple and Mahogany Gibsons.

I bought it 16yrs ago and it's been all over the world with me since then (mainly between '03 and '06), and has had at least a cameo appearance on every one of my albums. It looks VERY Triggerised, as Sal alluded to, but Cedar has a tone which nothing else can imitate. I love it, but wouldn't necessarily want to work with just a Cedar guitar and nothing else.

Put me in the Walnut camp.

I've got 2 walnut guitars, both have a tone of their own.

One "alternative" tone wood I have come to appreciate is zebra wood. I have one of the Montana 20th anniversary J45's and it is Sitka over zebra wood. I have seen some try to compare it to rosewood but it is different. I have a J45 Custom so I have a direct comparison. The RW has deeper bass and brighter trebles whereas the ZW has a more balanced and smoother tone. To me it is somewhere between Hog and RW. I love it for rhythm playing as the notes just blend together. I have seen some try to laugh it away since it is not one of two woods that are seen as traditional and therefore acceptable but I love it, one of my favorite guitars.

I've got a lot of the bases covered but a crappy ear for sound. Seems I like a lot of thump or a lot of sustain while ringing like a bell and of course it has to play like buttah.

Here's the tonewood combinations I have with the acoustics. There's a few species of spruce, mahogany and rosewood involved.

Spruce over mahogany

Spruce over koa

Spruce over maple

Spruce over walnut

Spruce over rosewood

Spruce over laminate

All mahogany

All koa

Hi Dave / Anyone, how does the koa sound in comparison to mahogany / rosewood? thank you.