Gibson Brands Forums

New Joe Perry Sig Guitar

Rabs

https://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-perrys-long-awaited-signature-gibson-is-the-best-of-the-stratocaster-and-the-best-of-the-les-paul

X5q7YoR.jpg

D9WaFJB.jpg

Joe Perry is famed for non-monogamy when it comes to guitars - the Aerosmith legend has been spotted playing everything from Gretsch and BC Rich to Fender and Supro - but it appears the guitarist has finally settled down with a custom Gibson Les Paul.

In a post on Twitter, the guitarist shared a brief video from Gibson HQ and stated, “After several decades of playing many different guitars I think this one represents the nearly impossible task of bringing the best of all of them into this new signature model.”

From what we can see, the guitar features a relic’d Goldtop finish and, unusually for a Les Paul, a Wilkinson two-point tremolo system.

Perry claims it’s been three years in the making, but it’s more like four by our count, since he gave us an early preview of the instrument back in a wide-ranging interview from 2015.

“It’s the best of the Stratocaster and the best of the Les Paul,” he told us.

“Because I love the sound of the Les Paul and, ultimately, I love the way a Les Paul feels, but I love the ergonomics of a Strat. I love the whammy bar. So this new guitar I’m playing is a Les Paul from Gibson’s Custom Shop, with one pickup and a vibrato arm on it.

“It’s balanced and works great and stays in tune. And it’s got a [Chandler] Tone X for tone control - it has what looks like a tone knob, but actually when you pull it out it brings the Tone X into action [a 16dB boost with a midrange sweep - Ed]. So you can either set it to a cool tone or get a wah-wah thing out of it. Right now, that guitar gives me a lot of stuff to play with.”

As for when we’ll get to play with it, there’s no official word from Gibson just yet. But given its Custom Shop background, we’d wager it won’t be cheap. Epiphone version, please, Gibson?

That doesn't do much for me. Never cared for distressed right from the factory and just one pickup and tone control sort of defeats the whole point of a Les Paul to me.

Enjoy Joe Perry's playing but won't be rushing out to get his signature model Gibson. <_<

"It's the best of the Stratocaster and the best of the Les Paul," he told us...

I like Mr. Perry's playing but with all due respect his ideas of what constitutes 'the best' of the Strat and the Les Paul is pretty much the polar opposite of what I consider to be 'the best'...

I hate a Les Paul with no neck pickup. Something about it just looks so disturbing to me...

Well this one will really freak you out......msp_biggrin.gif......

gibson-les-paul-acoustic.jpg

Pip.

I like Mr. Perry's playing but with all due respect his ideas of what constitutes 'the best' of the Strat and the Les Paul is pretty much the polar opposite of what I consider to be 'the best'...

Well this one will really freak you out......msp_biggrin.gif......

gibson-les-paul-acoustic.jpg

Pip.

Reminds me of SLOTH from GOONIES "Baby Ruth!"

Nope. Don't like it. For my playing and the songs we do, I really like having at least two pickups, and I like having two volume controls and two tones, since I do use them. I very rarely use a whammy and if I did, I'd want it to be locking, so the Les Paul with the Floyd Rose would be better for me than this.

I've always liked Aerosmith and Joe Perry but he would have gotten a lot more mileage out of this guitar in the 80's and early 90's than now. Have they done anything lately?

For me "meh". There is more than one way to make music.

1) I don't like factory distressed models. I'll do that myself by gigging with them, thank you.

2) Everybody has their own opinion about what the best parts of the Strat and Paul are, but Joe's ideas and mine do not agree.

To me, the best parts of the strat are the neck+mid SC pickup tone, the high fret access, and the contour shape. The best part of the Paul is the longer radius neck and the bridge humbucker.

I wouldn't be interested in purchasing that guitar, but for Gibson's sake, I hope enough to for them to make at least a small profit.

Notes

I thought Joe Perry's 90's signature model was the nicest...the transparent black LP (a Studio if I recall correctly). Now that was a guitar I would have bought.

Some of Aerosmith's later albums are good. I grew up on Pump, Get a Grip and Nine Lives before discovering their 70's stuff. Toys in the Attic has to be my favourite though and I prefer it to Rocks, though Rocks is great too.

Here's the black LP:

Archived