Gibson Brands Forums

Inspired by 1955 Les Paul Custom

NeilC

Getting interested in the Epiphone Les Paul Inspired by 1955 Custom, but understand it has a chunky neck. I haven’t had a chance to play one. I’m a fan of thinner necks and I’m concerned the neck will be just too big to get used to.

Have you played one? What did you think of the neck? How about the guitar in general?

Getting interested in the Epiphone Les Paul Inspired by 1955 Custom, but understand it has a chunky neck. I haven't had a chance to play one. I'm a fan of thinner necks and I'm concerned the neck will be just too big to get used to.

Have you played one? What did you think of the neck? How about the guitar in general?

I have a Red 56 Les Paul Standard Pro (also comes in black) which is very similar to the Les Paul Inspired 55 Custom, p90's 9lb mohagany body and 50s C profile neck. The 50's style C rounded profile neck is thicker but very solid making the neck action extremely precise.

No longer in production you can find the Les Paul 56 Goldtop that also comes in black that is setup very similar but has the SlimTaper D Profile neck.

Also if your not really into the P90s their are a lot of high end Customs and Standards with Humbuckers that also have the SlimTaper D profile necks.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Getting interested in the Epiphone Les Paul Inspired by 1955 Custom, but understand it has a chunky neck. I haven’t had a chance to play one. I’m a fan of thinner necks and I’m concerned the neck will be just too big to get used to.

I have one of these and absolutely love it, but I love large necks which, in general, are not too common as the majority seem to prefer the slim taper 60's. I tried to get use to the slim taper but ended up selling the Gibson's and Epiphone LP's that I had with that neck shape. Just couldn't do it, they cramped my hand after any length of playing.

Anyhow, if you are a fan of thinner necks, I think this will feel huge to you, and not very comfortable. It is one of the largest necks I've encountered. The build is top notch with ebony fretboard and quality tuners + Gibson P90's but it's a heavy guitar (does not bother me). Try one out yourself if you can, but the neck really is quite baseball bat in size.

The best way to describe the contact with this neck is,

it grabs your hand as you play it, not letting you leave until you have been convinced of its being.

You will find yourself either in love or running for the door.

That simple.

I never thought I would like it, but I'll be damm if it didn't just whip me instantly.

Then I had to go all out and add new wiring, bridge, staple pickup and stuff.

It truly will take you.

Did you have the opportunity to play one? What do you think?

One suggestion that I have made on other fora, concerning neck shapes.

Neck shapes are irrelevant if you keep your thumb behind the neck.

I do know that many many internet posts are created by guys who feel

that a guitar neck that is "too chunky' or "too whippy" is a crucial issue.

So I'll buck all this and say that the human hand can play any instrument

from a ukulele to a double bass with no problems.

We pick our guitars based on the tone we need for the song we intend to play.

Then we tell our hands to play the selected instrument, and we practice until

the hand complies.

Allowing your hand to tell you what guitar you will play... seems like taking

career advice from a three year old. Never allow this. Tell your hand to

play the guitar you need in order to make the sounds you hear in your head.

This from a musician who plays acoustic, electric and bass guitars.

I never think about neck shapes. All my instruments have different shapes.

I just play them. And I suggest that you shop for guitars based on the tone

you want to achieve, knowing that your hand is capable of accommodating

your needs and wishes, to perform the music that only you can do.

As mentioned in an earlier post I have a 56 LP Standard Pro that is setup very similar to the Inspired 55, the main difference between them is the Inspired 55 has USA electronics, but both have the 50's C profile neck. My 56 is very precise with really good action and provides several degrees of stability above my other guitars with Slim Taper necks. Lately, I went a little whammy bar crazy with a few of my guitars and found my 56 to be solid as a rock when trashing the tremolo. The 50's C profile may give you a little more to hold onto but there is a lot to be said for the precision and feel of these LP's... Its almost like they are machined out of metal...[thumbup]

POP_55LPCUST.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have the opportunity to play one? What do you think?

Thanks for all the replies.

I finally got my new axe a couple weeks ago. Was not set up well out of the box but I was able to set it up without any problem. Short story is I love this guitar. It’s just cool. The rounded neck is different but comfortable. And the P90’s sound great. Plenty of growl like I like. Great tone and great sustain. I love the satin finish too. And the apparently period correct hot pink lining in the hard case is a cool reminder of how unique this guitar is. Two thumbs up!

Edited by NeilC