Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EB-3 Short Scale

I've always wanted a Gibson EB-3 short scale bass like Jack Bruce played with Cream but they have always have been out of my price range.

jack_eb3.jpg

Last year I found an Epiphone EB-O short scale bass on eBay and discovered that Epiphone did make an EB-3 bass. The problem is that the Epiphone EB-3 is really an EB-3(L) long scale bass.

POP_EB3-EB.jpg

So I bought the cherry Epi EB-O short scale and decided to mod it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600_body.jpg

I replaced the Epi pickup with the DiMarzio mudbucker Model One. Schaller Strap locks were installed. The stock Epi bridge didn't appeal to me so I installed a Hipshopt SuperTone Gibson® Bass Replacement Bridge 3-point bridge:

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/bass-bridges/products/supertone-gibson-bass-replacement-bridge?variant=33244555656

The bridge just drops right in. Very easy!

I ordered LaBella short scale flat wound strings from juststrings.com and they were on back order for 4 months :( Eek

I found a black Alnico 5 mini-humbucker and mounting ring and had Brown's Guitar Mill in Newnan GA rout the guitar and install the mini humbucker in the the bridge. The nut was changed to a bone nut.

epi_eb3_full.jpg

epi_eb3_body.jpg

The controls were left with a master volume, master tone and a 3-way toggle switch. I prefer single vol/tone so I was happy. The output jack was moved to the side.

epi_eb3_controls.jpg

So now I have an EB-3 short scale bass that sounds great! Well worth the time spent to make it. Epiphone should made a real EB-3 short scale bass.

Edited by Aoresteen
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...