Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Stand and Hangars Damage Gibson Nitro Finish

56pontiac

I am wanting to see what others do to prevent damage to Gibson guitar finishes from guitar stands specifically hanging stands and the damage caused to the nitro finish on the neck where they hang. When I search for say "damage to finish" or "safe guitar stands" it seems to find those individual words in a bunch of posts that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. I am very interested in this topic. I have three stands that are marketed to be safe for "most finishes" with their special rubber foam or whatever. It almost totally ate the finish off the neck where it hangs on my beautiful 2016 ES335 full figured slim neck model. I was lucky, I caught it in time and was able to buff it out. Not having any luck finding anything about this problem here. I sold that guitar and bought a 2016 ES330 61 VOS reissue. I am paranoid about hanging it or keeping it on a floor stand for any length of time. My stands are Hercules brand. Also, any other nitro finished guitar I have doesn't have this problem as it appears some Gibson owners have this same problem from what I can find on the net. The nitro finished guitars I have that the stands don't seem to bother are 1964 ES125T, 1959 Martin 0017, 76 Guild X500, 2016 Collings CJ35, Eastman Parlor. I like my guitars being out because it makes it easy to grab and play them.

Age-old problem; been discussed here many a time.

Wrap plain, unbleached cotton around the areas which come into contact with the guitar. Old t-shirt strips are usually just fine.

Doesn't look 100% professional, of course, but it does the job.

Pip.

I am wanting to see what others do to prevent damage to Gibson guitar finishes from guitar stands specifically hanging stands and the damage caused to the nitro finish on the neck where they hang. When I search for say "damage to finish" or "safe guitar stands" it seems to find those individual words in a bunch of posts that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. I am very interested in this topic. I have three stands that are marketed to be safe for "most finishes" with their special rubber foam or whatever. It almost totally ate the finish off the neck where it hangs on my beautiful 2016 ES335 full figured slim neck model. I was lucky, I caught it in time and was able to buff it out. Not having any luck finding anything about this problem here. I sold that guitar and bought a 2016 ES330 61 VOS reissue. I am paranoid about hanging it or keeping it on a floor stand for any length of time. My stands are Hercules brand. Also, any other nitro finished guitar I have doesn't have this problem as it appears some Gibson owners have this same problem from what I can find on the net. The nitro finished guitars I have that the stands don't seem to bother are 1964 ES125T, 1959 Martin 0017, 76 Guild X500, 2016 Collings CJ35, Eastman Parlor. I like my guitars being out because it makes it easy to grab and play them.

I have the Hercules brand hangers - 6 of them - that have the "claw" that closes up when the guitar is in place on the hanger, and I haven't had any issues with my guitars on them for at least a couple years. I have 7 Gibsons BTW all with glossy nitro finish. I hang all of them up from time to time, but don't let them sit for any prolonged period of time. What I do is simply get the (yellow) Gibson soft cloth I have that came with the restoration kit they market and buff them out frequently. I might add that I generally keep my guitars in their cases as I have a guitar case stand that holds 8 cases, but as I was eluding to, I will also let the guitars "air out" on the wall hangers to not have the case start playing with the finish.

The way I look at it is that basically, guitars are maintenance items. I spend a lot of time cleaning/polishing them after I play them - or if I have been neglecting them - and I find that they all stay in good shape. After string changes, I spend extra effort to clean up s*** that gets on them from playing time. Now, if someone just leaves the guitars sitting in one place for a long time in a case or stand, etc. things get old and start to go wrong with neglect. I suppose bottom line is don't be too paranoid about it. Just take some time each week to care for your beloved guitars, don't keep them in the same spot for days on end, and I highly believe they'll be OK. Not discrediting anything you mentioned and I am glad that your ES 335 did not receive any damage! Hope this helps! Best regards.

• Upvote 1

I put cotton cloth on my wall hangers. Since they are hands, the cloth looks like a bandaged wounds. Maybe I should put an MJ Glove on them?

13221435_10206516388170433_8151855059369103151_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=7838e9f4b667dee4e77586e756d3cf4c&oe=5CF88388

If I were to choose 4 guitars to own, they would be exactly what you have hanging in this picture!

Anyways, someone on here recommended cutting the finger off of a white cotton glove and sliding it over the String Swing.

Others have mentioned that the String Swing actually does not damage nitro, but I play it safe with the fingers....plus now I have a cool fingerless glove to wear.

• Upvote 1

I put cotton cloth on my wall hangers. Since they are hands, the cloth looks like a bandaged wounds. Maybe I should put an MJ Glove on them?

13221435_10206516388170433_8151855059369103151_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=7838e9f4b667dee4e77586e756d3cf4c&oe=5CF88388

I have a strat JUST like that, 2015 Standard. Lovely!

and that Tele,,, ...I am sporting a tremendous woody right now....

• Upvote 1

Keep it in the case. I only use my stand when I take a break from playing or whatever. When I am done the guitar goes back in the case. I bought a white sg once and the previous owner left it in a stand and the stuff absorbed into the neck. It is stupid that happens.

• Upvote 1

https://reverb.com/item/1096467-studio-standard-guitar-case-rack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOu1osHI4AIVR7bACh3VGQvzEAQYFiABEgKPFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

I found one on a local CL ad, and this case rack, stand, ...whatever is excellent; this links features the exact same stand I picked up that I mentioned in the first post I contributed to this thread.

Another great option if you want to get creative - or spend some bucks - is to Pinterest some "guitar dressers" for ideas or buy a showcase (being the more expensive, less creative solution for fancy guitar storage).

I usually use a sock or an old t-shirt or something....

One time for what ever reason I actually forgot.. Well I did the feet and must have thought id already done the back bit but hadn't..

This is what happened

XPShddQ.jpg?1

hlCb5Gc.jpg?1

Did you try some of your oil to ease the pain a bit, so it so doesn't look as harsh?

Did you try some of your oil to ease the pain a bit, so it so doesn't look as harsh?

Well when it first happened I wasn't doing guitar stuff.. And indeed I was totally gutted at first.. Im not really that bothered by it now. I do actually have some nitro in cans so could fix it and may still when I get round to it :)

I am trying this wrapping 100% Cotton black twill around the wall hangers. Now watching my ES330 and my Custom RCB Twangmaster Telecaster like a hawk checking daily to see if any marking marring or finish damage. So far two days looks the same no damage. I will report back in a few weeks as to how this worked or not.

I am trying this wrapping 100% Cotton black twill around the wall hangers. Now watching my ES330 and my Custom RCB Twangmaster Telecaster like a hawk checking daily to see if any marking marring or finish damage. So far two days looks the same no damage. I will report back in a few weeks as to how this worked or not.

post-98701-087507300 1550688585_thumb.jpg

post-98701-078241700 1550688660_thumb.jpg

post-98701-064836300 1550688730_thumb.jpg

Its not just Gibson's that do this. It seems any Guitar with a lacquer finish is subject to damage. You would think months or years of drying would be enough but whatever the reaction is seems pretty powerful.

Its just nitrocellulose... Poly is fine with rubber... So are oil finishes.

Edited by Rabs