Gibson Brands Forums

I met the Gibson CEO and now I am selling my Les Paul

Rabs

Thanks for the share Rabs!

Agreed about 90s Gibsons... My 1994 LP Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst is perfect.

I also think that early 2000s Custom shop guitars are pretty good quality too. You got an ebony fretboard during this period. Maybe a pretty penny, but you did get a pretty nice Gibson for the cost. Worth it, that's subjective.

I have a 2015 CS LP Custom and aside from the neck pickup wires breaking off from the weakly soldered connection (the ground connection only), the guitar is a beast...

And I highly believe that Gibson will again start to bring out stellar quality instruments in years to come. Them there 2019's - when they start to come out in full force - look pretty damn good (on the site for now)... That ebony LP Custom has the right kind of specs too IMHO. It's hard to beat the black beauty look msp_thumbup.gif

Anyhow, if Gibson wasn't around anymore, I'd be pretty let down, so glad that there is a sense of optimism and not one of toxicity like we were when Henry was at the helm the last few years.

Thanks for the share Rabs!

Agreed about 90s Gibsons... My 1994 LP Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst is perfect.

I also think that early 2000s Custom shop guitars are pretty good quality too. You got an ebony fretboard during this period. Maybe a pretty penny, but you did get a pretty nice Gibson for the cost. Worth it, that's subjective.

I have a 2015 CS LP Custom and aside from the neck pickup wires breaking off from the weakly soldered connection (the ground connection only), the guitar is a beast...

And I highly believe that Gibson will again start to bring out stellar quality instruments in years to come. Them there 2019's - when they start to come out in full force - look pretty damn good (on the site for now)... That ebony LP Custom has the right kind of specs too IMHO. It's hard to beat the black beauty look msp_thumbup.gif

Anyhow, if Gibson wasn't around anymore, I'd be pretty let down, so glad that there is a sense of optimism and not one of toxicity like we were when Henry was at the helm the last few years.

Yeah.. My first real Gibson was a 1992 Studio.. Had an ebony board too and was lovely... BUT I sold it as it had a 50s neck.. When I got my next LP which was my 2002 Classic and my first standard level type guitar which has a 60s neck, there was no going back for me.. Was a cool guitar though.

And yes... JC seems like he knows what hes doing.. The bits about what he has implemented already like the lighting and how many time a guitar changes hands to limit any dings or scratches is really good thinking... It is looking very positive and makes me happy :)

Still. The guy in the video.. If he is really selling a guitar he loves just because of this, seems a bit OTT to me.. If you love the guitar who cares when it was made? If however he only wants one LP in his collection and wants a new one and thus has to sell the old one to make room, I get that I guess.

Yeah.. My first real Gibson was a 1992 Studio.. Had an ebony board too and was lovely... BUT I sold it as it had a 50s neck.. When I got my next LP which was my 2002 Classic and my first standard level type guitar which has a 60s neck, there was no going back for me.. Was a cool guitar though.

And yes... JC seems like he knows what hes doing.. The bits about what he has implemented already like the lighting and how many time a guitar changes hands to limit any dings or scratches is really good thinking... It is looking very positive and makes me happy :)

Still. The guy in the video.. If he is really selling a guitar he loves just because of this, seems a bit OTT to me.. If you love the guitar who cares when it was made? If however he only wants one LP in his collection and wants a new one and thus has to sell the old one to make room, I get that I guess.

Well, if he wants to save money on relicing, he could go back to putting a guitar into 70+ people's hands... But yeah, a bit OTT agreed with this guitar geek fella. I had to view a few times when he was explaining WHY he wanted to get rid of it. He's right though, it's a great looking LP... I still am confused msp_unsure.gif

And come to think of it, half of my Gibsons - give or take - that I own are from the 90s. Granted A LOT of these are Nighthawks msp_biggrin.gif

I didn't meet the CEO and I recently traded my LP Trad Pro II for a Guild JF-30. Down to one Gibson and if I ever get another it will be used. 5.5k for a BB King. You are out of your mind.

Well over half of my guitars are acquired used. IMO, you get the best values if you know what you're looking for.

Interesting video. He says the last great Gibson's were made in the 90's? Ah, he's one of those types [blink]](*,) Other than that he seems a decent fellow, except for the ridiculous idea of selling a perfectly great LP Classic (as others have noted). 9 hole weight relief clearly must mean it's a lesser instrument.

I met the last CEO, the one that was turning it around and saving it and taking it into the future and making it more accurate than accurate has ever been defined. Except, he wasn't.

rct

I thought he did a good job, except for the pesky bankruptcy thing?

Interesting video.

He mentions some of JC's ideas which seem very sensible;

The idea of dropping the 'This Year's Model' concept is, I think, Very Good Indeed. For one thing it means that there is no impetus to dream-up any unnecessary changes just so that there can be a "New! For 2021!!" model. "Fewer Handlers - Fewer Chances of Dings" makes perfect sense, too, as does decent lighting. I'm surprised to hear that it was even an issue before because it seems so obvious.

He also brought up some points which, in themselves, bring up further questions. I'm going to meander for a bit but bear with me...

Consider this if you will. The Geek (*) stated that the USA-line Les Pauls produced post 1990's were not as good in the main as those produced during that decade. I, in common with many folks here, have played a lot of post 2000 LPs and many of them were very good indeed (**) so the idea that there were no decent guitars produced later on is just plain wrong. But - and it's a big "But" - it is true that the very best post-2000 LPs I've played were almost always Custom Shop / Collector's Choice / Artist's Sig models.

JC, it is suggested, is going to raise the game as far as the USA-line instruments are concerned. So what is the future for the Custom Shop Reissues and so on? If the gap in perceived quality between the regular reasonably priced stuff and the higher-end offerings is substantially lessened then will there still be enough folks willing to pay double the price for a CS instrument which is only marginally better than a USA-line one?

I'm sure most folks will see where I'm going with this but I'll explain further in a PS down below (***) for anyone who is still curious.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Gibson guitars over the next six months.

The Geek suggests that by February 2020 most - if not all - benefits should have worked their way through the production line. I'm looking forward to seeing these new offerings.

Pip.

* I had never seen him before but I thought he came across as a very sensible guy. Selling a guitar which he took ages to find seems odd to me as he has not yet played anything better. Being prepared to sell his 1960 Classic if he finds something better, however, is quite a different matter and perfectly normal. It's how I always acted, myself, in my playing days.

** I have played a lot of really good post 2000 USA-line LPs but the four I have liked enough to actually buy were all made in the 1990's so what does that say?......eusa_think.gif......

*** This point has an identical precedent in what happened to, interestingly enough, the model he is considering selling - the 1960 Classic. Without going in to the early history of that model too deeply suffice it to say that the 1960 Classic was introduced in 1989. It was very like its namesake and shared almost all the appointments from the original 1960 Standard and as a model it was well-received. The first Custom Shop RI's came out in 1993 but buyers were finding it difficult to see where-and-how their much more expensive R9's were any different in comparison to the 1960 Classic so the Classic was, starting circa 1995, gradually altered in specification to be less like the original Standard and, therefore, putting 'a bit of air' between it and the reissues.

I can't say I agree with the guy but I'm glad he's enthusiastic without having even played one of the "new releases." I think it's a step in the right direction and I hope they continue making quality guitars. My 2017's and 2018's certainly don't suck though. I'll play them and check them out for sure.

I can't say I agree with the guy but I'm glad he's enthusiastic without having even played one of the "new releases." I think it's a step in the right direction and I hope they continue making quality guitars. My 2017's and 2018's certainly don't suck though. I'll play them and check them out for sure.

Right on! Aside from the strange finishes and models, Gibson makes quality instruments. If you buy one brand new from any time period, you should be able to tell if it is a quality instrument. Turn it in if you don't like it or find flaws... Usually you should buy a new guitar if you have some sort of return window, but that's just my opinion to make a safe bet on a big purchase.

I just happen to own a handful of 90s Gibsons - not that I targeted that time period at all. But they are all pretty high quality to this day which lets you know that they were doing the right things then - I guess... I won't go as far as to say that was the last hay-day of Gibson manufacturing...

I do own a 2015 CS LP and 2018 Classic (same GT as you - which you know msp_thumbup.gif). I have no intentions of selling these in my lifetime... I also am picking up a nice used one from 2010 (coming soon!!!)

ANY musical instrument needs to be played in-person to make any sort of determination. I don't just go off of internet posts and let my better judgement get swayed because someone takes the time to make a video or brilliant post. I will read/watch and take it for what it is. Sometimes, these educate me a bit when I do make an in-person evaluation of a guitar in this instance, but that's the price/benefits of research. I do not like it when people play a guitar and it doesn't suit their style, so they go and make inflammatory posts, make blanket statements, knock quality, etc. when they don't actually know what they're talking about. Not that I am the end-all expert here... You get a lot of that these days when you look around online.

Overall, I love Gibson guitars ever since I started playing as a 14 year old kid and have continued to do so for 25 years and counting. Maybe not all of their guitars are my thing, but that doesn't necessarily qualify them as poor quality. And maybe their specs/prices that changed model year after model year, but again, doesn't make them low quality... Maybe poor strategy or a bit irritating to the consumer that has to shell out the dough, but definitely not a QC issue. I simply believe that if you find a good instrument that you enjoy, keep it, period! If you cannot tell a quality instrument build, then you shouldn't be making uninformed/inexperienced big purchases. It's like that with anything in life; you have to know what you want before you go out there and seek it.

That was a good one Rabsy..

I'm hopeful the new regime does Gibson back to the top of their game. Long time coming! But even if they do succeed in making vast strides forward, there's still going to be consumers that that will find something they don't like about a purchase. It is what it is, not a perfect world, right?

I have 6 Gibsons, Oldest one is from 1995, newest one is from 2016. None of them will ever see the chopping block,

Would I buy a 7th one? Absolutely.

I worked for a huge computer manufacture based out of New England some years ago. Company was run by it's founder till the board of directorys kicked him out because he wasn't able to adjust his business intuitions to modern day.... They hired a rock start, slick hair cut, expensive suits, expensive cars, we walked past each other in the parking lot one day. There he is,, the savoir, the great white hope, the one every one loved to talk about... everything was awesome,,,,, till the layoffs started... eventually he dismantled the company and he was ultimately fired, nice parachute too. At the end of the day, he put his pants on just like the rest of us, one leg at a time. Levi's or not..

That guy made my hair hurt. But I agree that now is a good time to buy a Gibson, just for a little different reason.

My reasoning is that they sucked before and I didn't like what they were doing, blah, blah. So they didn't sell instruments. Now they've raised all this cash and done all this work to straighten out the place and it all looks pretty good. So that means maybe I need to go buy a new Gibson and support these guys 'cause now they're doing better. [thumbup]

My BB King was made in '09. Now they sell for over 5k. I should have waited to get a white one and pay over twice what I paid for the one I own.

was your BB made in the Memphis plant or in the CS? that maybe the difference in price........maybe!

Archived