Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbluefish

New J45 Standard Sound Question

Have you played this guitar with a capo yet? Try it on the first fret to start with. Your J-45 would not be the first one sold with nut issues - mine had nut slots so shallow the guitar went out of tune when you played it. You might have the opposite issue, a nut with slots cut just a whisker too low and allowing the strings to rasp on the first fret.

As the guitar is still just new, I suggest calling your Sweetwater rep and seeing what he suggests. A buzzing string can be a number of things, including a very very minor tightening of the truss rod (one of the reasons the truss rod is there to be able to put a slight bend to the neck so there is no fret buzz at the first few frets of the guitar), the saddle is slightly too low, the nut is slightly too high in relation to the saddle, the nut slot on a string has a burr in it, the tuning button could be buzzing, a tuner’s washer could be buzzing...a number of minor things that just might need a slight set up adjustment.

I suggest calling Sweetwater since the guitar is brand new and see what they say.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Today I tried putting on some heavier strings. I installed some D'addario EJ16 12 gauge strings. The guitar does sound better, but it's not perfect. I'm still getting that werid metallic resonant sound. I would describe it almost like a Sitar kind of overtone. I did notice that when I don't play any open strings, as in the case of an F Barre Chord, it sounds fine. Perhaps there is something wrong with the nut? Has anyone experienced what I'm talking about before?

Thanks

Do you have a piezzo on it ?

Maybe check the jack/plug input thing. You can unscrew it, there is 2 washers, one of them is not necessary and often causes this "buzz" thing.

Long time ago i thought my guitar had an issue with the nut or saddle, but finally it was one of these washers and removing one of them solved the problem on my hummingbird.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:14 AM, Justbluefish said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Today I tried putting on some heavier strings. I installed some D'addario EJ16 12 gauge strings. The guitar does sound better, but it's not perfect. I'm still getting that werid metallic resonant sound. I would describe it almost like a Sitar kind of overtone. I did notice that when I don't play any open strings, as in the case of an F Barre Chord, it sounds fine. Perhaps there is something wrong with the nut? Has anyone experienced what I'm talking about before?

Thanks

I am experiencing the exact same thing ! Got the J 45 2019 walnut ( GC exclusive) and it's nothing like the warm tone I was imagining., especially with Walnut.Tinny and metallic and rather unpleasant TBH. Brought it in for a Platinum Set-up and it came back worse. They put on some Martin light strings and now the D string has a fret buzz that wasn't there before. Did I just get maybe just get a lemon?? ( was on sale for $1999 regular $2999) .