Gibson Brands Forums

New to no pick guard

FemmeParallell

After debating for some weeks if i should remove the pick guard on my 2016 Traditional (since all my LPs have them on), last nite i finally decided to remove it, anyways i can easily put it back on, and to my surprise i loved it! now i think that the pick guard gets in the way of my playing hahaha msp_flapper.gif i wont be removing it from my other guitars

Pictures dont work for my on this site i've tried everything, but here is the external link for a before and after look

Before:

https://imgur.com/a/e28hVQS

and after:

https://imgur.com/a/PEzs5ll

msp_thumbup.gif

Im also a pickguard off guy... Sometimes... I think if you have a beautiful top that taking it off shows more of the top... But on my Goldtop its stayed on cos well, its just more gold under there, you aren't missing anything :)

And I think your guitar looks better with it off too..

I do get that some people see the pickguard as part of the LP design and should be on. But I can play with it on or off either way, it doesn't bother me at all from that point of view.

Im also a pickguard off guy... Sometimes... I think if you have a beautiful top that taking it off shows more of the top... But on my Goldtop its stayed on cos well, its just more gold under there, you aren't missing anything :)

And I think your guitar looks better with it off too..

I do get that some people see the pickguard as part of the LP design and should be on. But I can play with it on or off either way, it doesn't bother me at all from that point of view.

Definitely what i think, i have a P90s gold top that (to my opinion) wouldnt look well without the pick guard, BUT i think that if it was a humbucker with covers it might look good (kinda like Duane Allman's gold top)

Yes, i wouldnt take it off on all LPs , just for this case hehe

Nice with or without I think. I used to be a pickguard off person, in later years I'm more of pickguard on person. Strange it only seems to work both ways with Les Paul's though, as having no pickguard on archtops looks really wrong to me and I don't like SG's when people take the guard off (like that Derek Trucks SG).

IMO after looks better. I think that you should always show your wood! I love the look of a plain Maple top. Pick guards are cool too but on solid colours IMO. great looking guitar bro, Post pix of your other Les Pauls

Shaun

Thanks! yes, i will get some decent photos and show them soon! =)

i prefer plain tops over flame tops most of the times, it all depends on the flame (some flame tops are too much for my taste), but i mean all tops are beautiful

Thank you! seriously i've tried putting the at the begging, putting ".jpg" at the end, using the INSERT IMAGE and nothing works

What you need to do is NOT use the insert image button..

Instead just copy the BB Link that Imgur gives you and paste it directly in to your post.. It should work.

Nice with or without I think. I used to be a pickguard off person, in later years I'm more of pickguard on person. Strange it only seems to work both ways with Les Paul's though, as having no pickguard on archtops looks really wrong to me and I don't like SG's when people take the guard off (like that Derek Trucks SG).

Yep, or a strat with no pick guard hehe, yes, i love Derek trucks but that Sg looks like something's missing

What you need to do is NOT use the insert image button..

Instead just copy the BB Link that Imgur gives you and paste it directly in to your post.. It should work.

I did that and didnt work, but i think i know why now, i saw how Black Dog put the link, so im gonna do a little test here,see if it lets me

https://i.imgur.com/yHs4aNK.jpg

Gibson should just save $ and not install any pick guard on their guitars and let the purchaser do it. It'll save Gibson millions. Okay maybe 10 of dollars.

They do, do that sometimes.. My 2011 came without it installed but in the case and I left it like that....

I have five Gibson electric guitars. Three came from the factory with pickguards, two without. I also have two Ltd (ESP) electric guitars without pickguards. I don't really have a preference. If it comes with a pickguard, I leave it on. If it comes without one, I don't miss it.

My Les Paul Standard came without the pickguard installed and I couldn't bring myself to drill/cover that beautiful maple top. It still sits in a bag in the case.

The 2017 SG Special I have was a different story. It came without a pickguard, and looking pretty naked. Strictly for cosmetic reasons, I installed a Gibson pickguard and switch washer. It was hard to drill the 6 holes, but figured there was no going back, lol

Before:

2017specialfront.jpg

After:

2017specialpickguard.jpg

My Les Paul Standard came without the pickguard installed and I couldn't bring myself to drill/cover that beautiful maple top. It still sits in a bag in the case.

The 2017 SG Special I have was a different story. It came without a pickguard, and looking pretty naked. Strictly for cosmetic reasons, I installed a Gibson pickguard and switch washer. It was hard to drill the 6 holes, but figured there was no going back, lol

Before:

After:

I actually really like the look without the pickguard but it definitely looks more the part as such with it on.. Also love the mini block inlays AND the mini humbuckers... They have their own thing going on.

1550719108[/url]' post='1978745']

I actually really like the look without the pickguard but it definitely looks more the part as such with it on.. Also love the mini block inlays AND the mini humbuckers... They have their own thing going on.

The block inlays did help influence my decision to purchase it, I do like them. Not really sold on the mini hums, they are unique though. Toying with the idea of throwing in a set of P90's. Time will tell. :)

Definitely better with the pickguard!

Before:

2017specialfront.jpg

After:

2017specialpickguard.jpg

After debating for some weeks if i should remove the pick guard on my 2016 Traditional (since all my LPs have them on), last nite i finally decided to remove it, anyways i can easily put it back on, and to my surprise i loved it! now i think that the pick guard gets in the way of my playing hahaha msp_flapper.gif i wont be removing it from my other guitars

Pictures dont work for my on this site i've tried everything, but here is the external link for a before and after look

Before:

https://imgur.com/a/e28hVQS

and after:

https://imgur.com/a/PEzs5ll

msp_thumbup.gif

It's a beauty either way.

Archived