Gibson Brands Forums

How good are Gibson acoustic guitars?

UsherBhai

Hello everyone,,,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Gibson acoustic guitar for $250 by tomorrow, but I don't know if this is a good deal for an acoustic. I don't have a lot of acoustic experience, but I've heard not-so-good things about Gibson's lineup. Is this something I should be jumping all over, or would my $300 Yamaha do just as good?

That's a funny question, considering the loyalty to Gibson guitars here. I'd first love to know a little more about the model and year of the guitar, and more importantly, if it's authentic. A $250 Gibson advertised here could cause a stampede, so better keep your location secret.

Are you sure it is actually a Gibson guitar and not an Epiphone made by the Gibson Company? Sometimes an Epiphone brand guitar has a factory truss rod cover on them that says Gibson, but the actual name on the headstock says Epiphone. An Epiphone selling for $250 is quite common. An actual Gibson selling for $250 would be a steal in today’s world, although it is possible a mahogany LG-0 could sell at a low price of $250 or a plastic bowl back Gibson from the 80s (a B-15) could as it was a was a super economy Gibson. Or, at one point Gibson made some classical guitars, which were still Gibsons, but were not typical steel string Gibsons, and could sell for reasonably low prices. Check if it’s actually an Epiphone with a Gibson truss rod cover on it for starters.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Hello everyone,,,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Gibson acoustic guitar for $250 by tomorrow, but I don't know if this is a good deal for an acoustic. I don't have a lot of acoustic experience, but I've heard not-so-good things about Gibson's lineup. Is this something I should be jumping all over, or would my $300 Yamaha do just as good?

A $250 Gibson? Maybe all the "not so good things" are true and people are anxious to get rid of these crappy guitars..........Sounds like he's been introduced to Gibson on the AGF.

Hello everyone,,,

??really?? $250 huh?

just be mindful that you're not buying a counterfeit.

Hello everyone,,,

With 250€ you might wanna check Martins or Greenfield guitars maybe.

Archived