Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vince Q

Baseball neck dimensions

About a year ago at a local music store I played a 1996 R6 with an astonishingly fat neck ... loved it, sorry I didn't buy it. Does anyone know the max dimension Gibson used that year? I ask because I'm seriously considering ordering a made-to-measure R6 but I need to provide the neck dimension I want to the Gibson Custom Shop. One fellow I spoke with said his R6 measures .978" @ middle of 1st fret and 1.092" @ 12th fret.

I have a 2018 R6 and the neck is .90" @ 1st fret, 1.0" @ 12th fret: It feels good, but not nearly as good as the 1996.

You guys have any info?

How do you measure it? i have a 2007 one

About a year ago at a local music store I played a 1996 R6 with an astonishingly fat neck ... loved it, sorry I didn't buy it. Does anyone know the max dimension Gibson used that year? I ask because I'm seriously considering ordering a made-to-measure R6 but I need to provide the neck dimension I want to the Gibson Custom Shop. One fellow I spoke with said his R6 measures .978" @ middle of 1st fret and 1.092" @ 12th fret.

I have a 2018 R6 and the neck is .90" @ 1st fret, 1.0" @ 12th fret: It feels good, but not nearly as good as the 1996.

You guys have any info?

Digital caliper. What's your neck look like, FP? ETA: And you know which neck I'm talking about ....

Edited by Vince Q

Oh brother I know what you're talking about. I got this SWEET goldtop reissue from 65? not positive but man that fat neck is my absolute favorite. You can really dig into that bad boy, I just love it.

Unfortunately I don't know the dimensions... sorry.

Oh brother I know what you're talking about. I got this SWEET goldtop reissue from 65? not positive but man that fat neck is my absolute favorite. You can really dig into that bad boy, I just love it.

Unfortunately I don't know the dimensions... sorry.

Those necks just feel right. I could kick myself for not buying the '96 in my original post.

Digital caliper. What's your neck look like, FP? ETA: And you know which neck I'm talking about ....

i dont have a digital caliper, the neck is chunky but i mean, i've never played a R9 nor R8 and i've heard those are really chunky, so i have no way of comparing against those

Found one on Reverb, .978" @ 1st fret, 1.092" @ 12th. Incoming soon and can't wait

Edited by Vince Q