Gibson Brands Forums

Good economic story (really, I'm not kidding)

RudyH

On gun ownership I dare say we agree Neo. I do; however, think blue has good points as it relates to the kids. That said all kids are different and what might be fine for my kids is not what may be right for anyone else.

I do want to ask you a question though. Have you ever used you weapon in self defense? Or in the military?

No.

Never pointed a gun at anybody in my life, not even a BB gun. Considered it a few times....

Had a couple pointed at me, I'll say I was not amused.

If they shared the same mindset I was taught as a child, I would be dead.

My Dad made sure I understood that if I was ever stupid enough to pull a gun, I better be smart enough to use it.

Glad the drunk/stupid people I encountered were not so disciplined, I suppose....

No.

Never pointed a gun at anybody in my life' date=' not even a BB gun. Considered it a few times....

Had a couple pointed at me, I'll say I was not amused.

If they shared the same mindset I was taught as a child, I would be dead.

My Dad made sure I understood that if I was ever stupid enough to pull a gun, I better be smart enough to use it.

Glad the drunk/stupid people I encountered were not so disciplined, I suppose....[/quote']

I had an unfortunate situation when I was 18. I was deer hunting. The farmer that owned the land had told me there were poachers taking deer at night in the area. I was sound asleep at about 2am in the back of my dad's van. I was alone. I woke to head lights streaming through the back windows of the van. Backing out was the only way out of this mud and grass spot next to a woods. I took my Dan Wesson .357 and tucked it in the back of my pants which I had wore to bed. I opened the back doors of the van and fortunately the occupants had not yet exited the vehicle. I was lucky in that I could see a silhouette past the head lights of the vehicle. I was standing there with no shoes on in the cold mud. I could barely make out three people exiting a truck. Two from the drivers side and one from the passenger side. I then could see one reaching in the truck to something in the back window of the truck. I couldn't make it out, but I didn't have to I knew it was a rifle or shot gun. Let's put it this way they didn't have a gun rack with a fishing poll in it at 2am. As the one was reaching for the gun another was whispering something I couldn't make out of the engine of the truck. I reacted from fear. I honestly can't say If it was voluntary or not. I pulled my .357 and pointed at the drivers side of the truck where I know the gun had gone even though I could no longer see it with the doors of the truck open. I didn't say a word. I was scared sh*tless. Actually, I was scared after the situation. Must have been an adrenalin thing. They didn't say anything either. They rapidly jumped in the truck and drove off. I didn't even put my shoes on when I climbed back in the van and got the hell out of there. I am glad I didn't need to shoot. I suppose since I couldn't see the gun I was lucky they didn't shoot. It was weeks before I went back to the area and I then found out the three guys in an orange pick-up truck had been arrested a few days later for poaching deer and drunk driving.

I won't Monday Morning Quarterback you on this one' date=' but I have to say poaching is not a threat to ME.

Now, had they approached my vehicle it would have been a different story.

Hard sayin' not knowin'....[/quote']

Well suffice to say: 18, alone, 2am, didn't say anything (except whispers), and pulling something out of the back window.

Hey Neo,

I never said anything about owning guns. I have no problem with it. I owned one for many years. All I said is that I got rid of it when I had kids. Didn't feel comfortable having it around. That was my decision as a parent.

I am not sure allowing a 9 year old to have a gun in her bedroom is a smart thing. But that is Murph's decision. He can do whatever he wants--as long as he doesn't move next door to me.

Did I mention she owns an '08 Les Paul Studio' date=' a '71 Fender Champ restored by Naked Clarke, and [b']sleeps with Large dogs.[/b]

Murph.

Sorry Murph... just noticed that one... and while I wasnt sure if it was out of line to make a joke about it, I found it funny and just had to ask... would it have been ok to make a joke about it? (so that next time I just go ahead hehehe)

Archived