Gibson Brands Forums

NGD , not a Gibson though

blindboygrunt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D-28 ... and I was sure it was going to be a bloody Maton.

Tell us more, what led you to get this beast, though you weren't much of a rosewood guy ?

I just sold the AJ, but still have the J-40, somethign about Martin rosewoods that bring a totlly different sonic quality, was that it ?

Well, at least we know a little more about your income level. Sweeeet! I want one...again. Congratulations!

Love the piano chart too.

My income level is NOT reflected in any way by this guitar

A little money arrived by way of an inheritance , decided to spend it wisely 🤣

Aussie , I've had a few Martins, was always a fan, 00015 was a gem but too small for me , D16gt I had was lovely but had had the bridge shaved and smelt a bit mouldy , so couldn't love it as much as I wanted to , HD35 was the nicest guitar I've ever played , but was a grand piano ... the plain old D28 has just the right amount of everything

Is a good counterpart to the j45

Was thinking of an 18 but then seen this new reimagined d28 and fell in love

It's awesome!

My income level is NOT reflected in any way by this guitar

A little money arrived by way of an inheritance , decided to spend it wisely 🤣

Aussie , I've had a few Martins, was always a fan, 00015 was a gem but too small for me , D16gt I had was lovely but had had the bridge shaved and smelt a bit mouldy , so couldn't love it as much as I wanted to , HD35 was the nicest guitar I've ever played , but was a grand piano ... the plain old D28 has just the right amount of everything

Is a good counterpart to the j45

Was thinking of an 18 but then seen this new reimagined d28 and fell in love

It's awesome!

I really like my D28 and it's gorgeous... 1937 sunburst.

Stu, that one's a beauty! What are the specs and details?

I spent about six months recently looking for either a really good J-45 or SJ from the late 40's or early 50's, or a 50's D-28. Accidentally ran across a one-owner 1950 J-45, and that was the end of it.

A newer D-28 is still on the bucket list, but I've go too many guitars right now to think of it.

Congratulations, and let's hear it!

Stu, that one's a beauty! What are the specs and details?

I spent about six months recently looking for either a really good J-45 or SJ from the late 40's or early 50's, or a 50's D-28. Accidentally ran across a one-owner 1950 J-45, and that was the end of it.

A newer D-28 is still on the bucket list, but I've go too many guitars right now to think of it.

Congratulations, and let's hear it!

Specs

Heeeiiyyy - didnt expect to see that, , , not after the 35 went further.

I been aware of this modified classic and very curious about the effects of the specs.

The wider nut is plus, , , how does the forward shifted X come across. Non-scalloped opposed to my also f-shifted HD-28V,

so I guess somewhat held back compared to that bold creature.

And how is the it beside the slightly lighter braced scalloped conventional X'd now gone HD-35 ?

Congs !

congratulations! Money well spent!

Does it mean you're a three-acoustic-guitar-guy now? Or is the latest second (was a gibson, wasn't it?) one gone unnoticed.

Its funny, when I first got interested in a quality acoustic guitars, I thought I'd get a Martin, cause I thought thats what a acoustic guitar has to look like...until a sales guy pointed to that butt ugly j-45 on the wall, suggesting to try it. guess you all know what happened.

Nowadays I think Martins look kinda boring, whatever, hope you enjoy yours!

Ay Grunt,

Ya done good. Great top. Little silk. Might I spy a little wee bear claw too. A classy head stock logo. Great tuners. Great pickguard.

These iconic classic guitars get in your soul, be they Gibson or the other.

Often when I am playing one of mine, say the J50.. I say to myself "this is all the guitar I'll ever want or need." And then I play one of the others.

I think this is going to suit what and how you play real well. These new designed D28s really are more like HD28s... but more balanced. I played one and wanted it....

Joni loved hers

95q0uzsl.png

And both of these guys loved their Gibsons and Martins...

93FQkqkl.png

Congratulations! That guitar is beautiful. I simply cannot imagine a better companion to a J-45 than a Martin D-28. THE two most iconic acoustic guitars ever. A great combination!

Lars

This ^^^^^^^pretty much says it all. [thumbup]

Heeeiiyyy - didnt expect to see that, , , not after the 35 went further.

I been aware of this modified classic and very curious about the effects of the specs.

The wider nut is plus, , , how does the forward shifted X come across. Non-scalloped opposed to my also f-shifted HD-28V,

so I guess somewhat held back compared to that bold creature.

And how is the it beside the slightly lighter braced scalloped conventional X'd now gone HD-35 ?

Congs !

It's similar em7 , no doubt , Martin's all sound like Martin's dont they

It's just a case of slightly less is better to my ears . The HD35 was such a beautiful guitar , and if I played differently than i do then I'd probably still have it , but it was a little like bob Dylan with an orchestra

More overtones , the 28 just seems to sound out the notes as they are , less blending going on , and yet still has plenty of response so the hammer ons and pulls offs ring much clearer than they would with the j45

I know they are a famous bluegrass loud and in your face guitar and desired for that a lot of the time , but it works so well for delicate finger picking

The wider and flatter neck is noticable but not enough to make me struggle , and I'm noticing the string spacing when finger picking , helps a little with my less than perfect right hand

I'm not great at guitar geek speak , no idea what a chocolatey sound is for example

I am a happy man

It's similar em7 , no doubt , Martin's all sound like Martin's dont they

It's just a case of slightly less is better to my ears . The HD35 was such a beautiful guitar , and if I played differently than i do then I'd probably still have it , but it was a little like bob Dylan with an orchestra

More overtones , the 28 just seems to sound out the notes as they are , less blending going on , and yet still has plenty of response so the hammer ons and pulls offs ring much clearer than they would with the j45

I know they are a famous bluegrass loud and in your face guitar and desired for that a lot of the time , but it works so well for delicate finger picking

The wider and flatter neck is noticable but not enough to make me struggle , and I'm noticing the string spacing when finger picking , helps a little with my less than perfect right hand

I'm not great at guitar geek speak , no idea what a chocolatey sound is for example

I am a happy man

Sounds good man, Ive played a few D-28's that were really impressive. Defo need to hear a tune or two from you with it mate.

Thanks chaps

And to the gods in charge, i apologise for the thread , but come man it's a D28 ! And I still love my gibsons

What's the bear claw sal ? The little bits at the top of the ,er , top ? Near the neck ?

Whys it so 'oh wow man bear claw!'?

Grunt... it could be lighting... but "bear claw" is unique character i cant describe. I am posting my D18 top, followed by your 28 top - both with red arrows where there mught be some claw. In my opinion claw adds character and makes a guitar unique visually, so I meant it as a good thing, and not a flaw.

bQb3PkAl.jpg

zxZT3sMl.jpg

Archived