Gibson Brands Forums

NGD , not a Gibson though

blindboygrunt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hep - the slightly vintagy voice suits your own vox splendidly. You'll make the ideal trio, you 2 and the burst slope. All have that certain purist vibe.

From now world can shoot as wild as it will - just won't be able to hit ya, rite. .

Whys it so 'oh wow man bear claw!'?

The bear-claw myth, , , I'm sure you know it. Others might not :

Story goes that the trees stand out there in the wilderness where they now and again are passed by bears, which occasionally need to hiss their claws.

Straight to the stem they go and start fringing the innocent bark. Ouch, , , but that's how it is, , , and the trees just heal and grow further.

The traces of these brutal rendezvous are soon hidden for then to surface when the guitar-makers start their saws.

Uneven yet fine scars are revealed and the tops end up benefiting from the 'decoration'.

The phenomenon is not to be confused with the so called silking and I'm sure others will tell us the more exact difference between those 2.

Anyways - take or leave it.

I personally like the image and thought - A bear was here

If it adds to the sound, , , , in our romantic dreams, yezzz. It gives more bass-growl. .

Great guitar!! Sounds great on that Prine song too, I haven't heard that in an age...fantastic stuff.

I still pine for a great Martin. Had a wonderful OM18V way back, but the neck was too big for me. The D18 I had a few years back wasn't a great one, but at the same time I let an incredible Tweedy signature 00-DB go in a trade for my SJ200. No regrets but will definitely own another from the big M one day.

I dont know ... Im gonna go the other way and get ready for the tomatoes to be thrown at me.

I found the heavy, somewhat muddy bass frequencies of the D-28 to clash with BBG's lovelly, raspy vocals, which sit pretty much around the same register.

I personally found the J-45 he played to be a great companion, as the midrange focus of the slope complements better BBG's voie in the mix.

This to me sounds rather muddy overall.

(but maybe its the nature of the song and key, would like to hear another song to compare, in different key)

or maybe its the dead strings ???

Maybe I should play my ukulele ? 😂

Point taken though aussie, dont anyone ever be shy about your point of view , its what we're here for surely

My voice clashes with itself and everything though , not sure what can do about that

Nah, try a different key or put new strings on it. Ill bet you will hear quite a difference.

The more I think about it the more I reckon fresh strings will be important, give it more zing and balance. Old strings on martin rosewood dreads just result in an avalanche of mud.

We'll see

Wonder if recording into one mic and then sednig to soundcloud isn't helping

Maybe two mics and a slight panning of vocal and guitar to opposite sides a tad would help with such an issue ?

I hate things mixed like that though because I use earphones a lot

Fromy experience and talkng to a few sound engineers they all say recornding Martin rosewood dreads is a nightmare. They just have such dominant bass frequencies that its a challenge to capture that fat bottom end rumble wihtout killing everything else around it.

You could always try the Neil Young trick and keep the guitar dark and low but sing an octave or two higher.

Always fun experimenting, and most importnatly, who cares what i think ... if you dig the tone then its all good, aint it ?

Fromy experience and talkng to a few sound engineers they all say recornding Martin rosewood dreads is a nightmare. They just have such dominant bass frequencies that its a challenge to capture that fat bottom end rumble wihtout killing everything else around it.

You could always try the Neil Young trick and keep the guitar dark and low but sing an octave or two higher.

Always fun experimenting, and most importnatly, who cares what i think ... if you dig the tone then its all good, aint it ?

Hopefully Em weighs in. I think he has a D35 and I know which of his recordings has that D. He found the path, and its a good path.

Oh yeah absolutely, I love it

Old Neil won't clash with anything with that voice , but I can't help think about all the others who have played Martins

And you're asking the wrong guy to sing in a different octave , I've not much range to work with

Noel Gallagher for ages used a Gibon J-150 but switched to a D28 a few years ago and uses it in the studio or peformances like this.

I really like the tone of this D-28, its deep, warm but also balanced and sparkly.

D-28 ... and I was sure it was going to be a bloody Maton.

Tell us more, what led you to get this beast, though you weren't much of a rosewood guy ?

I just sold the AJ, but still have the J-40, somethign about Martin rosewoods that bring a totlly different sonic quality, was that it ?

What AJ did you sell?

Congrats on the D-28!

I've never been able to bond with them. I had a 2012 and a 1975 D-28, and have played the new Reimagined version. D-28's always sound a bit tight/choked in the lows, and have unbalanced highs to my ear, and HD-28's (used to have one of those as well) was too scooped with a boomy bass and thin highs. My Favorite Martin dreads are the new D-35's and D-18's.

I really liked how that guitar sounded in the recording. I heard it as warm and lush, not muddy. With that said, it really is the performance that takes the price. It's when I hear that kind of stuff that reality comes crashing down, and I realize how much I have yet to learn. Simply brilliant stuff, BBG!

Also, I agree, recording D-28s are a nightmare. Sounds crap when I do it.

Lars

Great guitar!! Sounds great on that Prine song too, I haven't heard that in an age...fantastic stuff.

Had a wonderful OM18V way back, but the neck was too big for me.

Lol, aren't you like 7 ft tall, and I'd have to imagine hands to match. What was the fretboard, a washboard?

I dont know ... Im gonna go the other way and get ready for the tomatoes to be thrown at me.

I found the heavy, somewhat muddy bass frequencies of the D-28 to clash with BBG's lovelly, raspy vocals, which sit pretty much around the same register.

I personally found the J-45 he played to be a great companion, as the midrange focus of the slope complements better BBG's voie in the mix.

This to me sounds rather muddy overall.

(but maybe its the nature of the song and key, would like to hear another song to compare, in different key)

or maybe its the dead strings ???

The above and the old-steel-on-Mart-bein'-an-avalanche-of-mud.

Well first - bbg's recording hasn't been treated that much I guess.

It's not a studio 1 recording and I can hear the bass being a bit double-bass fat (to follow your thought).

Then again the vox is very distinct - it stands out crisp and clear and I frankly don't hear it swallowed by the dread.

When I said guit'n'style goes well it was meant on an overall level. The pair shares nature and definitely makes sense to me.

Regarding recording Martin D-28s and others, we have to pull out the list from Wiki (to which I personally contributed a few years back).

I think good advice is to be careful here. After all a lot of the finest and most significant (and lasting) acoustic music was done on especially rose M dreads.

4+20, Helplessly Hoping (Clapton begged Stills to to reveal the recording recipe), Blackbird, Harvest, Old Man, Big Yellow Taxi, May You Never, , ,

the line goes on and some even claim Nick Drake played a D-28 on certain songs.

Notable users have included Slim Dusty, John Frusciante, John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash, Paul McCartney, Clarence White, Tony Rice, Hank Williams, Neil Young, Chris Cornell, Kansas, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Chris Martin, Noel Gallagher, Jimmy Page, Nick Drake, The Supernaturals, Brad Paisley, Ben Howard, Marcus Mumford, Stephen Stills, John Martyn, Michael Hedges, Judee Sill, Steve Winwood, Harry Nilsson, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell and Sturgill Simpson.

But taste is taste and we all have our preferences.

Hopefully Em weighs in. I think he has a D35 and I know which of his recordings has that D. He found the path, and its a good path.

I remember some tracks being more suited for the D-35 than others.

Back then it was my only high-end acoustic and it was used through thick and thin. Strumming, flat-picking, finger-ditto, free left-hand expression, 1-note-themes etc.

And talking 'bout thick we sometimes thinned the bass EQ-wise to place it better in the mix. Not rocket-science, U know.

Have to say we learned while goin' which is a big part of the fun. And some of it might not have worked optimally.

Good thing is that these not-quiet-bulls-eye issues, can be seen/heard as character later on. Everyone gets used to and ends up actually liking them.

Thanx for the kind words - but 'cuse me, , , from where do you know of my old squire's deeds. A few SoundCloud things ? . .

Never mind - hog'n'rose rock'n'roll on there. .

Archived