Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Frampton's Ill

SteveFord

Yeah, I just read about that this evening....

He's only 68. Sounds funny to say "only" and "68" in the same sentence. But so long as a guitarist can play, age is relative. So what an awful thing to befall someone who's livelihood and passion requires dexterity. :( Sucks big time.

Wishing Peter Frampton all the best.....

IMO problems of this nature are lurking for countless musicians as they reach 'a certain age'

Hope he shares experience to add to the knowledge base for any future sufferers.....[thumbup]

He is still playing and recording at top level

Long may that continue.....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

oh man, Bad enough to have to deal with growing old, but for something to take away what he, (and likewise WE) loves to do, .. I have no words.

I think Eric Clapton has a similar issue,...

Here's to living long and living well...

Yeah, I just read about that this evening....

He's only 68. Sounds funny to say "only" and "68" in the same sentence. But so long as a guitarist can play, age is relative. So what an awful thing to befall someone who's livelihood and passion requires dexterity. :( Sucks big time.

I cant view the link without selling my soul, but I gather PF is not doing well [sad] . I can only wish him well.

And thanks for confirming that he's 68 and not 111.

Here's what the link says:

New York (AFP) - English-American rocker Peter Frampton on Saturday revealed he has a rare degenerative muscular disease that could inhibit his ability to play the guitar, and that his upcoming tour will be his last.

The artist, whose 1976 album "Frampton Comes Alive" still reigns as one of the all-time best-selling live records, told CBS News he has been feverishly making music since his diagnosis with the incurable condition inclusion body myositis.

"I'm a perfectionist and I do not want to go out there and feel like, 'Oh I can't, this isn't good.' That would be a nightmare for me."

Frampton broke onto the scene as a 1960s teen favorite as part of The Herd, before co-founding the band Humble Pie and jumping onto Britain's charts.

His live album "Frampton Comes Alive" held the top spot for 10 weeks -- but for a decade he failed to match that success, and saw his sales drop off.

In 1987 he got back on track: Frampton's schoolyard friend David Bowie invited him to tour as the legendary glam rocker's lead guitarist.

Frampton's farewell tour will include stops at major arenas like New York's Madison Square Garden.

The musician told Rolling Stone magazine one dollar from every ticket sale will go to a fund he is starting at the medical facility John Hopkins, where he is receiving treatment.

Here's what the link says:

New York (AFP) - English-American rocker Peter Frampton on Saturday revealed he has a rare degenerative muscular disease that could inhibit his ability to play the guitar, and that his upcoming tour will be his last.

The artist, whose 1976 album "Frampton Comes Alive" still reigns as one of the all-time best-selling live records, told CBS News he has been feverishly making music since his diagnosis with the incurable condition inclusion body myositis.

"I'm a perfectionist and I do not want to go out there and feel like, 'Oh I can't, this isn't good.' That would be a nightmare for me."

Frampton broke onto the scene as a 1960s teen favorite as part of The Herd, before co-founding the band Humble Pie and jumping onto Britain's charts.

His live album "Frampton Comes Alive" held the top spot for 10 weeks -- but for a decade he failed to match that success, and saw his sales drop off.

In 1987 he got back on track: Frampton's schoolyard friend David Bowie invited him to tour as the legendary glam rocker's lead guitarist.

Frampton's farewell tour will include stops at major arenas like New York's Madison Square Garden.

The musician told Rolling Stone magazine one dollar from every ticket sale will go to a fund he is starting at the medical facility John Hopkins, where he is receiving treatment.

Thanks for that. Greatly appreciated.

I just researched 'Inclusion body myositis'. It sounds very like the condition a workmate of mine had. His hand showed visible muscle wastage. He consulted doctors but it was years before they took it seriously. At least PF has the best care.

It's pretty neat that I live 20 minutes from one of the most renown hospitals in the world. People come from all over to get treatment at John's Hopkins. Someone else I know ( really a relative of a friend) has a very rare and aggressive cancer and is getting some cutting edge treatment at Hopkins. Thing's are looking so positive that him and his fiance are going through with a big wedding next week.

I saw the story about PF on the news a few weeks ago. He is still looking good and says he can still play well for now, but doesn't know how long that will last. Best wishes to him.

Archived