Gibson Brands Forums

Global Warming - An Inconvenient Tax?

KSG_Standard

Now we can all see the pot of gold at the end of the "Global Warming" rainbow! Follow the money and you'll see who/what's behind all "movements". Thanks for the change...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123569802712289113.html

That didn't take long. The same week that President Obama promised (again) that "95% of working families" would not see their taxes rise by "a single dime," his own budget reveals that taxes will rise for 100% of everyone for the sake of global warming. Ahem.

You don't even have to burrow into yesterday's budget fine print to discover the "climate revenues" section, where the White House discloses that it expects $78.7 billion in new tax revenue in 2012 from its cap-and-trade program. The pot of cash grows to $237 billion through 2014, and at least $646 billion through 2019. If this isn't tax revenue, what is it? Manna from heaven? The offset from Al Gore's carbon footprint?

If it brings in revenue that the government then spends, it's a tax, and politicians should start referring to it as such. The Administration in fact projects that these "climate revenues" will become the sixth largest source of federal receipts by 2019, outpaced only by individual and corporate income taxes, payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare and (barely) excise taxes. We're supposed to be living in a new era of fiscal honesty, so let's start with cap and trade.

Of course it's easy to see why Democrats don't want the public to think of cap and trade as a tax. Tax increases aren't popular, as Mr. Gore learned when he and Bill Clinton tried to impose a BTU tax in 1993. The complex cap-and-trade tax would ripple throughout the energy chain and ultimately the entire economy. All consumers, not just "the rich," would pay more for goods and services that use carbon energy -- though some would pay more than others. A majority of those "95% of working families" probably lives in the middle of the country that relies far more on manufacturing and coal-fired power than do the better-off coastal regions.

Mr. Obama's Energy Secretary Steven Chu was refreshingly candid on this point with the New York Times earlier this month. Given that higher prices are supposed to motivate the changes necessary to reduce carbon energy use, Mr. Chu said he was worried that climate taxes may drive jobs to countries where costs are cheaper. "The concern about cap and trade in today's economic climate," he said, "is that a lot of money might flow to developing countries in a way that might not be completely politically sellable." You are correct, sir.

Meanwhile, the political class loves a cap-and-trade tax because it gives them new economic and political power. Congress would create a new property right to expend CO2, setting a price per ton on carbon output, and then Congress would also get to determine the distribution of allowances. The Administration wants all of them to be auctioned off, which is what creates the giant revenue windfall. The politicians would then decide how to spend all of that new "climate revenue."

Mr. Obama's budget proposes to spend this windfall on two items: $15 billion a year in more subsidies for alternative fuels, and $65 billion or so a year to finance tax subsidies for workers, many of whom don't pay income taxes. In other words, once this cap-and-trade tax is on the books, the revenue stream will create political constituencies that depend on it.

No new pot of gold goes uncontested, however, so you can assume that Mr. Obama's priorities will not go unchallenged. Already on Capitol Hill, Charlie Rangel's tax committee and Henry Waxman's energy clan are feuding about who gets to divvy up the spoils. Not to mention who gets the political control that will become a source of tens of millions in new campaign contributions from thousands of affected businesses.

By the way, the Congressional Budget Office estimates that cap-and-trade taxes would actually throw off as much as $300 billion every year -- not merely $78.7 billion -- and in a footnote the Obama budget implicitly acknowledges that its $645.7 billion estimate is a lowball: "All additional net proceeds will be used to further compensate the public." No doubt.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Southern Illinois we had one of the worst ice storms in history.

LAST FEBRUARY...................

This one, this year, was far worse, killed dozens of people, knocked out power for millions and had everybody in a panic.

My house and 2 lots took a bit of a hit. I was blessed.

My 30 acres of hunting land with a cabin was "clobbered", this time. It's unreal to look at the woods. It'll be decades getting this fixed.

I'm sorry.....

What was this thread about?

Murph.

Global warming is a hoax. You're right KSG.

But, the liberals are stealing money, and power, so fast now, I really don't know if we can stop it. How?

I mentioned in another thread, I'm dumping paper. Many U.S. Gov. Bonds.

I'm paying off some land deals, and going gold/silver.

Serious Business......

I hate it, but I have zero faith in these idiots driving the boat.

Zero.

Homz thinks Obama can fix THIS?

Sheeze.

Murph.

Crazy times my friend! Obama and his pals aren't trying to fix anything, they are using the troubles and troubled times to advance a FAR left agenda. Global Warming was just a way to get power out of the hands of the traditional fossil fuel and energy companies and in to the hands of some new liberal cause and to feed more tax money into the government. Homz doesn't even realize what the dems have in store for his auto industry and how they'll use "global warming" to get what they want.

3-stooges.jpg

I'll tell ya something else KSG.

I have a 9 year old daughter, so I'm forced to watch some Disney, Nick, ect.

It's all "Green" crap info's. It'll make you sick. I have to "mute" and explain the "brainwash" to a 9 year old.......

I don't mind........... (okay, I do....)

But I shouldn't have to UNLIE the LIE she just heard, eh?

Just sayin'......

Murph.

The most amazing thing I've seen lately on "global warming" is California's unanimous decision today to do to their semiconductor industry what they have already done to their former aerospace industry: kill it. Amazingly this is done at a time when the state is virtually bankrupt and cannot send people their state tax refunds:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41577/178/

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2009-02-26-semiconductor-emission_N.htm

(By the way, if you've ever wondered why there are any big businesses left in San Francisco, it's because of rent control deals that are favorable to those businesses. )

I hope you guys are right. In fact, I pray you guys are right that global warming is just a joke. If you are not, then are children are screwed. I think that it is pretty irresponsible at this point to deny the evidence.

As for the the "it is really cold outside" so global warming can't be happening--well, that is just juvenile reasoning. There is a big difference between changes to the global climate and the weather in Illinois. Climate is the average temperature over a given period of time--usually decades. The climate has been getting warmr over the past 30 years. A few colds days in Illinois doesn't refute that.

We've reached critical mass in California.

Unemployment is over 10%. Unless you're an illegal alien. Then you can work for minimum wage building what ever construction project is in town.

Disney Land is hinting on moving to Florida.

Knott's Berry Farm is closing down the fruit and jelly stand.

Fender Musical Instruments has moved to Arizona.

The Governor is talking about selling off San Diego to the Mexican drug cartel.

Ohhh the horrors!

I hope you guys are right. In fact' date=' I pray you guys are right that global warming is just a joke. If you are not, then are children are screwed. I think that it is pretty irresponsible at this point to deny the evidence.

As for the the "it is really cold outside" so global warming can't be happening--well, that is just juvenile reasoning. There is a big difference between changes to the global climate and the weather in Illinois. Climate is the average temperature over a given period of time--usually decades. The climate has been getting warmr over the past 30 years. A few colds days in Illinois doesn't refute that.

[/quote']

This past summer was one of the coolest summers on record in North America in the past decade. I saw it on the weather channel so it's got to be true.

:-$

I hope you guys are right. In fact' date=' I pray you guys are right that global warming is just a joke. If you are not, then are children are screwed. I think that it is pretty irresponsible at this point to deny the evidence.

[/quote']

You're an idiot.

Murph.

Moonie, I think that if you check on ALL the available information on "Global Warming", you'll find that there is no scientific consensus on the real world effects, causes or fixes if there are problems, even though AlGore says there is. Most of the global warming predictions have just not come true. The oceans haven't risen, parts of the world are cooling, parts of the world are warming...the same as it ever was...

America is sitting on a huge amount of natural resources that we could take advantage of. We could provide high paying jobs in the oil patch, which would lead to high paying jobs in all of the industries that support the oil patch...like computers, network equipment, pipe makers, pump makers, steel makers, welders, drillers, miners.....an on and on.

We can't take advantage of our natural wealth and the jobs that would be created, because the progressive voices have won the day. We'll bankrupt the nation on "green" energy pipe dreams instead...all for the unproven notion of "Man Made Global Warming"...

Archived