Gibson Brands Forums

ME serial number on a ES-339

TomHC

Seen a rather shiny 339 on eBay in the UK, listed as brand new. But the serial number doesn't seem right. It's an ME number, and appears to be etched not stamped, starting with a 3 which would be a 2013 instrument? All the other 2013 339s I've seen are the Custom Shop branded ones, with CS serials.

Is it possible a 339 could have a ME serial and I'm just being overly cautious?

TIA.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Memphis-ES-339-in-Ebony-Gloss-302840/332471789278?epid=1718662896&hash=item4d68dce6de:g:dLkAAOSw0O5aJEh8:rk:3:pf:0

A few years ago Gibson stopped calling the 339 Custom Shop guitars since they were being more massed produced. The ME designates Gibson Memphis. They also did this with Larry Carlton and Warren Haynes signature model ES-335's. I have a 2008 Larry Carlton that has a CS (Custom Shop) serial number but newer ones have the ME. So I think the 339 you are looking at is a 2013 and that is the transition year for that model so probably made later in the year and is likely still made in the exact same manner.

A few years ago Gibson stopped calling the 339 Custom Shop guitars since they were being more massed produced. The ME designates Gibson Memphis. They also did this with Larry Carlton and Warren Haynes signature model ES-335's. I have a 2008 Larry Carlton that has a CS (Custom Shop) serial number but newer ones have the ME. So I think the 339 you are looking at is a 2013 and that is the transition year for that model so probably made later in the year and is likely still made in the exact same manner.

^This all^To further explain, that "Custom Shop" was actually referring to the "Custom Shop Series", literally just Custom Shop in name only. They were all made in Memphis, and there was never a "Custom Shop" in Memphis. A marketing ploy that was unfairly and I'm sure intentionally misleading.That all said, quality-wise they were actually really good. Many of the original employees of the Memphis facility were brought from the Custom Shop in Nashville as they needed skilled experienced employees for the ES production. So even though those 339 Custom Shop Series were not true CS, the quality is right up there!

Also note that as ES production returns to Nashville, the higher end ESs are (as reported by Gibson) going to be made in the Custom Shop and the rest in the Gibson USA shop. (For example ES-335 standards are going to Gibson USA and ES-335 reissues are going to the Custom Shop)

Edited by Wmachine

• 4 weeks later...

This is exactly what i was talking about in the other thread wmachine.

I disagree with your post that you put on the other thread that Gibson is not responsible to put a spec sheet out .

Gibson is responsible to label their guitars and market them honestly and disclose exactly what equipment is on them .

The problem is they’re paying some guy a lot of money to make these decisions that are marketing plloys and the guy does not know what he’s doing .

I have organized product lines and start offs with clients and Gibson seems to have no foresight of the future and intent just trying to make a quick buck and have no organization in regard serial numbers and types of 339‘s .

I love the products though !

You can "hold Gibson responsible", but they have no obligation to make all the past model specs available.

FWIW Gibson specs.

However the Gibson site never has had all the models them made available on the site. Did not include dealer ordered models, made for Japan, etc.

Reference to previous post by wmachine)

This is exactly what i was talking about in the other thread wmachine.

I disagree with your post that you put on the other thread that Gibson is not responsible to put a spec sheet out .

Gibson is responsible to label their guitars and market them honestly and disclose exactly what equipment is on them .

The problem is they're paying some guy a lot of money to make these decisions that are marketing plloys and the guy does not know what he's doing .

I have organized product lines and start offs with clients and Gibson seems to have no foresight of the future and intent just trying to make a quick buck and have no organization in regard serial numbers and types of 339's .

I love the products though !

You need to read more carefully. I said "past models". Please quote me correctly. The specs are all available through all authorized dealers when they are new, no matter where. Why do you think they are obligated to have them on their webpage? Especially when they are no longer available. I think it is in their best interest to do that, but that doesn't mean they have any obligation to. Same with the serial number. It is a unique number to a guitar. It does not have to mean anything more just because you want it to.

Wmachine

I noticed if i put in gibson with model number i get a bunch of online vendors that still have up on website the year and model of certain guitars.

The question is why gibson would not do the same ?

Servers are dirt cheap if its a storage issue .

Anyway, my main issue with my es 339 is that every website gives a different description of what pickups are in guitar.

Thanks for any help

T

Wmachine

I noticed if i put in gibson with model number i get a bunch of online vendors that still have up on website the year and model of certain guitars.

The question is why gibson would not do the same ?

Servers are dirt cheap if its a storage issue .

Anyway, my main issue with my es 339 is that every website gives a different description of what pickups are in guitar.

Thanks for any help

T

To cut to the chase here, call, email, or contact Gibson online. Give them you s/n. They will give you at least some basic specs including what pups are in it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the quick response to my post. I dont know how this will help you but here is the serial number on the frame I have. AE3120507 Its an A2E. Do you, or anyone you are in contact with, have decals for the head tube and down tube? Thanks for any help you can provide.