Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 change of strings

martcol

I have a 2018 SJ-200 which I love.

It still has the original strings and I want to go a bit lighter. If I do that, will it absolutely require setting up again? Taking it in to a workshop is a bit of a chore.

I've never really owned a guitar before where the cost of getting it restrung and set-up hasn't been more than the value of the guitar!

Maybe someone could recommend the best gauge strings for a slightly more Bluesy vibe than what Gibson shipped it with.

Thanks

Martin

It will be dependent on the guitar. Some are more touchy than others. My advice would be to string it up and see where you are. Generally though if you have say V shaped nut slots the lighter gauge strings will sit lower. Depending on how much relief is in the neck you may have to tweak the truss rod as well as watch for a bit of a back bow coming into play. You did, however, lose me with the connection between lighter gauge strings and a more "bluesy vibe."

Do you know what strings are actually on the guitar, so that you are sure you will be going to lighter strings? As ZW says, the guitar may or may not require any tweaks after a change of string gauge.

The J 200 is not normally what you would think of as a guitar with a "bluesy" tone in any case, but if the current strings are old, almost any change of strings will change the tone, even if you just change to the exact same strings.

I, too, don't know what the bluesy vibe type of strings might be, and thought that might be more up to the guitar's operator, but what sort of tunes do you look to be playing?

It's usually less likely to require any sort of adjustment if you were going from light to heavier strings, but I once had a guitar that was having some fret buzz issues, and as a course of trying to suss out the problem, the luthier changed out the strings for a fresh set, saying that newer strings might be not only more likely to intonate better, but be less prone to buzz (?).

Go ahead, and string them up and see what happens- it will probably wake that super jumbo up, and it'll sound like a new guitar again.

I have a 2018 SJ-200 which I love.... Maybe someone could recommend the best gauge strings for a slightly more Bluesy vibe than what Gibson shipped it with.....

I think you've got to put 12s on an SJ-200, even if it's a little tough on soft fingers. You'll toughen up the fingers and get used to it. I doubt that'll necessitate a re-setup.

I just got an SJ-200 Western Classic that came with lights on it from the factory. I don't know if you'd want to go to ultra lights on a Super Jumbo. I'm just beginning experiments with strings for my SJ-200 too, my first change was to D'Addario 80/20s in light gauge. Sounds a little bright to me, so my next step will probably be some PBs or maybe Martin Monels. It has rosewood B/S and a baked Adirondack top. I wouldn't think going to a lighter string gauge would require a new setup, maybe just a tweak of the truss rod. Hope this helps some.

Tom

All these guys make good sense, but as someone who uses 13's tuned a whole step down on everything I play, I'm not the guy to ask about moving to a lighter string on a big ol' dread. Without knowing what's on there you'll have to get a couple packs and go by visual comparison, but I doubt you'll get appropriate top response below 12's. I stopped experimenting with strings as 90% of them are waaay close in tone, so you start hearing subtleties that aren't there or change with the day, and it becomes an exercise in chasing perfection and splitting hairs.

For tired hands and sore fingers, make sure you're packing a nice capo. This is my fav.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paige-6-string-Standard-Capo-Black-/173800333195?hash=item28774e9f8b

What should be on there is a set of MasterBuilt 12 gauge Not sure if they are bronze or 80/20 can't recall. IME (I have 2016 SJ200) it already needs a setup if you've not had one. Mine absolutely did..

but that aside.... if you're going to try 11s, you probably most likely are ok with that setup. it's not enough of a change to make a drastic diff.

But, you may not like what you get back out of those tho... but hey,, everyone is different, looking for their own thang.. The worse that can happen is you hate them, and go back to 12s. OTOH A guitar that is setup properly will probably play just fine with the 12g strings... good luck!

Archived