Gibson Brands Forums

Wanted: 80s/90s j100 burst

jchadn

'Fairly sure that started threads can't be deleted, but replies can. (there is a button on your reply, if you're signed in)

Well. . . there is this J-100, now somewhere in Texas:

45RjJvi.jpg

I sold it to a shop who was buying guitars at a guit show in November. The guitar is a '95, is was in collector grade condition. I'll try to dig up the shop's name- think they're in Dallas or Houston.

I deleted the duplicate post. Happens all the time.

Thanks for cleaning that up. . . it's prone to happen to me if I'm not keeping an eye on the progress bar under the url- especially if on the mobile, if thinking a second click is necessary..

Anybody?

If anyone here had one for sale, they would probably contact you directly.

Since you're in Houston, you might start with Fuller's Guitar, which used to be an important Gibson dealer that commissioned a number of special-run instruments over the years.

I would consider an early 2000s but prefer 89s or 90s. I do want a burst.

Fuller is no longer a Gibby dealer, but they have a couple used. No Super Jumbos though.

Since you are looking at used instruments, whether the seller is a Gibson dealer or not is irrelevant.

I'm curious as to why your focus is on instruments between 1989 and 2000.

I've just always enjoyed the guitars I've had that were 15ish years old or older. I like the broken in sound and look. I buy most of my clothes from a thrift store so it might be a personality defect!

I've just always enjoyed the guitars I've had that were 15ish years old or older....

I've always been pretty much the opposite. I typically buy used, but newer used. I like guitars in excellent to mint condition, that don't need work done on 'em other than a good setup.

Well, that changed last week when I bought a 1987 Westerly-built Guild JF30-12. You want a super jumbo, that's a super jumbo. OK, I kinda got crazy since I've already got a (mint) 2002 JF30-12 built in Corona, but this new one's blue.... msp_w00t.gif

blu06.jpg

Are they gonna excommunicate you for lauding the Guild? Ha! It's beautiful!

Don't get me wrong...I don't want a guitar in cruddy condition. I know what I'm looking for is hard-ish to find but I've seen a ton that I passed on in the past, so I know they're out there. Like I said, early 3000s will work too.

Are they gonna excommunicate you for lauding the Guild? Ha! It's beautiful!

Don't get me wrong...I don't want a guitar in cruddy condition. I know what I'm looking for is hard-ish to find but I've seen a ton that I passed on in the past, so I know they're out there. Like I said, early 3000s will work too.

Keep an open mind on the build date, since the period around 2004 or so is considered by many to be the "Golden Age" of Gibson Bozeman construction.

Just chiming in to say I love my '95 J-100 Extra (Antique Natural, not sunburst). With the mahogany back and sides it's a warm, loud, beefy beast and has only gotten better sounding with age (Jeebus, can it really be 24 years since I bought it new?). The o.p. wants what he wants (don't we all), but I'd just point out that it's the mahogany that delivers the distinctive sound on J-100's of that era, not the finish - and it's a different sound than the maple sides/back found on most J-200's. These aren't just cheaper, less blingy J-200's - they're a different sonic flavor altogether (imho).

I'm looking for an older (at least 10 years old, but preferably 80s/90s) without cracks. I would greatly prefer a burst finish. Thanks!

Take a look at Reverb. Just came from there and saw a J100

added this morning. Probably not going to last long at the price and condition.

Archived