Gibson Brands Forums

Folks,

Has anyone delt with this issue?

I’ve been playing almost 20 years and never had any issue with my hands .But the past 2 weeks have been hellish to say the least.

Through rest and bengay I have managed to make almost all the pain in my thumb go away. Now I’m guessing I just need to keep massaging and stretching and continue to rest the thumb for a few weeks.

To be clear it’s my right thumb( my fretting hand).

I’ve noticed since the sharp pain has subsided I can play cowboy chords perfectly with no pain and barre chords ok until about the 5th fret.

Barre chords past that are uncomfortable.

I’m turning 30 this year.Should I just start taking better care of my hands? Any warmup tips?

I think after doing the comfort tests I described above I’m going to lay off playing for 30 days.

JC

Nah, don't worry. Sometimes we grip harder than necessary to get the note or chord. You probably strained a muscle or tendon, and if rest/massage helps consider it a fair warning. When I'm playing at my best level I tend to be overzealous and it sometimes leads to various degrees of hand strain.

Edited by jedzep

I've broken fingers occasionally on my fretting hand. One time a golf ball shattered an index finger on my fretting hand. My son hit the ball. He was 8 at the time. Still have trouble barring, which is why I have adapted my style. I thumbwrap a lot. I play my own modified chords a lot.

Rest the hand JC! It all works out.

Edited by ThemisSal

I've broken fingers occasionally on my fretting hand. One time a golf ball shattered an index finger on my fretting hand. My son hit the ball. He was 8 at the time. Still have trouble barring, which is why I have adapted my style. I thumbwrap a lot. I play my own modified chords a lot.

Yet another reason not to play golf

As if there wasnt enough already

I have refrained from jumping in here but I will tell you this. You play guitar with a death grip. It's killing your guitars and now your hands are getting involved. The reason your fret boards are wearing out is because you are pressing down too hard. This will wear out your fretboard and it will play hell with your hands. Don't take my word for it just go down to your nearest guitar store and have them watch you play a bit. Either you guitar is set up wrong or you are just playing to hard. I have seen this a lot and it's a bad habit to correct. You just need to have the strings make contact with the frets and you don't need to even contact the fretboard to do this. Result? No excessive fretboard wear and much less hand and finger pain.

I have a bullet hole in my right hand and a true trigger finger on my middle finger on my left hand. They both give me problems but I have been learning how to play three and four note jazz chords and that has improved my playing as well as my knowledge of the fretboard. I just play around the problems and there are ways to do it. If you would like PM me and I will show you how to play chords a bit easier and give you exercises you can use to lessen the discomfort.

Don't stop playing just improve you fretting technique. A good teacher will help you a lot.

I have refrained from jumping in here but I will tell you this. You play guitar with a death grip. It's killing your guitars and now your hands are getting involved. The reason your fret boards are wearing out is because you are pressing down too hard. This will wear out your fretboard and it will play hell with your hands. Don't take my word for it just go down to your nearest guitar store and have them watch you play a bit. Either you guitar is set up wrong or you are just playing to hard. I have seen this a lot and it's a bad habit to correct. You just need to have the strings make contact with the frets and you don't need to even contact the fretboard to do this. Result? No excessive fretboard wear and much less hand and finger pain.

I have a bullet hole in my right hand and a true trigger finger on my middle finger on my left hand. They both give me problems but I have been learning how to play three and four note jazz chords and that has improved my playing as well as my knowledge of the fretboard. I just play around the problems and there are ways to do it. If you would like PM me and I will show you how to play chords a bit easier and give you exercises you can use to lessen the discomfort.

Don't stop playing just improve you fretting technique. A good teacher will help you a lot.

I have refrained from jumping in here but I will tell you this.

My injury was sustained at work and is not at all guitar related.

JC

Nah, don't worry. Sometimes we grip harder than necessary to get the note or chord. You probably strained a muscle or tendon, and if rest/massage helps consider it a fair warning. When I'm playing at my best level I tend to be overzealous and it sometimes leads to various degrees of hand strain.

J,

Thank You ... I’m already back to normal.

2 weeks ago I hurt myself at work.

I use my hands a lot in what I do.

You were right it was nothing to worry about.

JC

Sal ,

Thank You I have rested and I’m back to normal.

All the best out to you.

JC

Yet another reason not to play golf

As if there wasnt enough already

Bbg,

😂

I agree.

I thought it would take me weeks to get back but I’ve been stretching the last few days and I’m back to normal.

Thanks for the humor.

JC

I've broken fingers occasionally on my fretting hand. ... I have adapted my style. I thumbwrap a lot. I play my own modified chords a lot....

Wow, I didn't know that, Sal. You apparently get along fine. I'm (sort of) in the same boat. I broke my index and middle finger on my fretting hand many years ago. They're still not as flexible as they were, so yeah, I've had to adapt my playing and "cheat" on certain chords. It's a bummer, but ya do what ya gotta do.

...I'm turning 30 this year....

Wha...??? I was already 40 the year you were born! Both of my thumbs hurt. The main joints are worn down and it's basically bone on bone. This makes it tough to unscrew the lid off a jar, but guitar playing - not so bad. It's also not so bad playing golf. msp_flapper.gif

Surprising amount of golfers here

I'm disappointed

I've never broke my finger so I've no excuse for thumb wrapping , all my favourite players are thumb wrappers though

Willie Nelson loves golf. Amazingly, he's not disappointed that you don't play.

Edited by jedzep

Surprising amount of golfers here

I'm disappointed

I've never broke my finger so I've no excuse for thumb wrapping , all my favourite players are thumb wrappers though

Golf's awesome, bro - you should try it!

It's a lot like guitar - requires patience, attention to craft, focus, determination, and dexterity.

Edited by countrybluespicker

I'm 71 now and have had some arthritis in my hands for a few years, maybe a lot of years. Kind of hard to tell since it's so gradual. Doesn't bother me much when i play. If it does, I just keep playing......Broke my index finger on my fretting hand when I was a teenager and it healed a little crooked. Never been able to make a strong barr chord across the whole neck using that finger, so I use my thumb a lot. If Chet, Marty Stuart, Tommy, and many more great pickers do it, I figure why not a hack like me. ......Anyway Juan, glad your back to normal.

It's a lot like guitar - requires patience, attention to craft, focus, determination, and dexterity.

Ooh I've tried it

Father is ex captain, president and all round judge smails from caddyshack

Not a chance of me taking up golf ever again

One reason I took up guitar more than 50 years ago was that the guitar player always got the girls. Does the golfer get the girls (assuming you're not a pro making a gazillion dollars)?

I'm a slightly better guitar player than I was a golfer, for what that's worth. Both require a lot of practice if you want to be any good. Lessons help, too.

Ooh I've tried it

Father is ex captain, president and all round judge smails from caddyshack

Not a chance of me taking up golf ever again

Well that certainly explains it. 'Didn't think it had anything to do with an aversion to white shoes, white belts, and loud, colorful synthetic sweater vests.

Glad the hand is feeling better, Juan Carlos.

Edited by 62burst