Gibson Brands Forums

Classic S/N

weldaar

That's exactly what it is, I need to know the year. Looks to be 2000. I tried the date coder but they aren't always accurate.

The 0 might mean it's a 60's Classic LP with the slim neck.

My friend owns it, he bought it new in 2003, but the S/N does say 2003 according to Guitar Dater. Could it be an 2004? just going by the numbers. I see a 0 and I see a 4 and a 1. Doubt it's an 08

I am guessing you are not the original owner.

If your friend is the original owner it's a 03 or if he got it late in 03 it could be an 04. It is supposed to mimic how it looked in 1960.

Thar’s The only thing that makes sense. Thank you

Not that it means anything to the guitar in question, but it speaks to Gibson's historical issuance of guitars and serial numbers.

In the last few months of each year, you can buy the 'next year's model' of Gibson guitars, and virtually all the major name brand automobiles.

I bought my 2018 Les Paul Faded in late 2017.

Later on this fall, you will be able to buy a brand new 2020 model.

Might be the same story here, minus sixteen years or so.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

The way the 1960 Classic serial numbers work is different from every other LP. The first digit (1989 and 1990-1999) or first two digits (2000-2008) signifies the model-year date and the remainder of the digits are the individual instrument number. The model was introduced in 1989 and, as there were fewer than 1000 instruments made, the first year's run was 9 xxx. After this year the 'year' digit was followed by four digits so, by way of an example, 5 3627 would be the 3627th 1960 Classic of the 1995 model year.

Your guitar, 040081 was, therefore, the 81st 1960 Classic made in the 2004 model year.

Just to confirm what Sparky said earlier in post #10;

Although it was bought in 2003 the next year's instruments are released towards the end of the preceding year - hence a very early 2004 (such as your friend's) would have been available towards the end of 2003.

Hope that clarifies matters.

Pip.

Archived