Gibson Brands Forums

Would you buy this SG?

mosswalker

Hi --- New around here. Looking to buy my first Gibson, an SG. There is an 2019 HP online at sweetwater that has "hairline crack in the neck seam and wood exposed on the top edge of the treble side cutaway." They're asking $1798. That's as cheap as I've seen. Still a fistful of cash for something with a damage... I don't really ind the cosmetic aspect, I can live with that. But is this a weak spot where I can expect more issue? Would you buy it? It's been up there at least a week...

Thanks.

post-98992-085307900 1551749542_thumb.png

SG's are a wonderful thing....

This hairline crack looks like a structural weakness rather than a cosmetic glitch...

As suggested... there are cheaper and better instruments on offer

Wagering an Epiphone would not have that issue....and 2 or 3 for that price....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Another very definite 'NO!' from here. Apart from the fact that you could get a perfect one for not that much more one other reason would be the trouble you would encounter if you did buy it and decided somewhere along the line that you wanted to sell it on. You would find yourself trying very hard to persuade any potential buyers that the crack(s) are not too much of an issue.....

Avoid.

Pip.

I'm going to have to agree with the general consensus of the replies here and say that there are plenty of other good fish in the sea. Keep putting your line out there and something will bite eventually. If you're spending that kind of money, get something that is built super close to 100% flawless. Not saying to nit-pick, but cracks - especially the one you featured - are pretty big deals to most of us here I would imagine... for a new guitar!? So in case I'm not clear where i stand, pass it up! Best of luck and hope you get a spectacular guitar. Cheers!

Well, thank you all for the overwhelming consistent, hell no! I was told by the sales guy it was cosmetic and that they would never sell a guitar with a structural flaw... but it looks quite nasty. Thanks, again.

it's very possible that's exactly what it is, I've seen enough of these to say that's "usually" what it is, but you don't know the history, and you really can't know for sure.

There's plenty more where this came from

it's very possible that's exactly what it is, I've seen enough of these to say that's "usually" what it is, but you don't know the history, and you really can't know for sure.

There's plenty more where this came from

I completely agree. I'm also very eager to try the SG Moderns announced at NAMM in January. Interestingly, that same sales rep told me that Gibson told him that they were dropping the Modern line that they announced at NAMM.... so I don't know what to believe at this point. Will wait and see.

I'd be a bit hesitant buying that particular guitar sight unseen because of the finish crack. However, I'd consider it if I got to try it out. I've heard that sometimes nitro may create those finish hairline cracks around the neck joint even when there is no structural problem in the guitar, especially with a very thin finish. The explanation that was given to me was that as very thin nitro sets in over time, you can sometimes encounter cracks around joints such as the neck joint or around the nut. With that said, I don't know how reliable that info is. If anyone, can confirm or reject what I've heard, I'd be interested in reading about it. Also Sweetwater's customer service is amazing, so I would guess they'd have your back in case you later find out that this guitars has a structural issue. Though, I'm inclined to conjecture that the guitar will be fine over time.

I'll add my own agreement to the discussion. Pass that one by.

That one needs to be marked way down, and it will be.

There are lots of great SGs out there for sale.

Including many from previous years that ought to be

much superior.

Gibson has problems right now, and you don't need to

spend almost $2000 to buy into them.

I'd buy a used SG standard from a previous year for a lot less money.

Then use the savings to take it to the best luthier you can find and

afford. Pay the luthier to go over every detail, and fix what ever needs

fixing.

Then rock that sucker. That's the way to get a great SG. Buy a used

one, and put it into top shape. I've done this over and over, with every

type of guitar I play. AND I've bought three new Gibsons in the last ten

years, and each of them needed to go to the luthier and get set up for

my own style. Not faulting Gibson in this, just recognizing truth.

Once I get the initial setup done, I can usually keep them that way.

And I love my Gibbies, now that I've got them just the way I want them.

But it's a lot more cost effective to do this with a used guitar than with

a new one.

I don't see that SG HP guitar in the line up.

I also don't see the one with the sideways vibrato or the Lyre vibrato at a reasonable price like they originally announced.

Who knows what they're doing with the SG line up but you're making the right choice avoiding that one unless it was $500 or something like that.

I'd be a bit hesitant buying that particular guitar sight unseen because of the finish crack. However, I'd consider it if I got to try it out. I've heard that sometimes nitro may create those finish hairline cracks around the neck joint even when there is no structural problem in the guitar, especially with a very thin finish. The explanation that was given to me was that as very thin nitro sets in over time, you can sometimes encounter cracks around joints such as the neck joint or around the nut. With that said, I don't know how reliable that info is. If anyone, can confirm or reject what I've heard, I'd be interested in reading about it. Also Sweetwater's customer service is amazing, so I would guess they'd have your back in case you later find out that this guitars has a structural issue. Though, I'm inclined to conjecture that the guitar will be fine over time.

I understand where you are coming from, but for nearly $1800... I think not! If I pay that kind of "new" Gibson money, for an SG, I'd expect nothing but the best - and that includes all cosmetics. Like many were claiming, if the price was right (i..e lowered considerably) and it was only a cosmetic issue, then it would be considerable. Sorry, I just have to disagree with what some of your points here in terms of being that this guitar is considerable for the price the OP claimed it was selling for. Just think if you tried to sell it, you'd have to disclose that and people would demand a discount, or you'd sit on it. I mean, what if you wanted to keep it, you're just not in a good position either way. What if you find out down the road that the thing was a structural issue, then you have that mess to deal with... There are plenty of fish in the sea these days, and passing this up is the right thing to do. Let Sweetwater deal with this crap - don't let them pawn something defective on a customer.

I wonder if it still comes with the factory warranty? If the head-stock was to fail, would they cover it?

I seriously doubt they would. Gibson would probably take the stance that the guitar received a knock in the dealership which compromised the instrument's constructional integrity.Furthermore if the guitar was like that when it arrived from Gibson is it not likely that Sweetwater would have sent it straight back?

I, along with everyone else here, know full-well it might not fail - but then again I also know full-well that it might. To my way of thinking it's a no-brainer.

Pip.

I seriously doubt they would. Gibson would probably take the stance that the guitar received a knock in the dealership which compromised the instrument's constructional integrity.Furthermore if the guitar was like that when it arrived from Gibson is it not likely that Sweetwater would have sent it straight back?

I, along with everyone else here, know full-well it might not fail - but then again I also know full-well that it might. To my way of thinking it's a no-brainer.

Pip.

I think the way it usually works is that Sweetwater gets in touch with Gibson when there's a question about finish/structural issues on a particular guitar. Then Gibson determines if it's just a finish issue, and if it is, then the guitar is sold and it's warrantied. That's how they did it when I bought a Les Paul recently with a finish issue. If there's a structural problem with the guitar then I don't think Gibson will let them sell it. It probably just gets returned.

Archived