Gibson Brands Forums

Mark Agnesi Hired by Gibson

JuanCarlosVejar

Interesting news! I´m watching Mark´s Videos nearly since they started. Even if I will never have a Chance to buy a guitar at Norm´s due to the long distance and customs regulations + taxes to bring a guitar to Germany the videos give a lot of information about guitars and their history and the Mark´s choice of songs for demonstration of the guitars are always fun.

Well... I bet Gibson noticed the traction and views that his you tube videos got. I bet he will do more of them. I bet he will visit with dealers and do videos for them for their websites... kind of like a Don Ruffatto but more Vegas? I bet he does Gibson customer events on the road at dealerships like Russo's.

Anyways... I like Don Ruffatto... incredibly genuine guy... happy to help.. great with intelligent information sharing. I'm in my fifties... I know what I like.

If Mark ends up doing a night at a dealership... he will be more relate-able to young buyers... That's mY thought?

Folks,

For the guitar of the day fans (Norm’s rare guitars) Mark Agnesi will be leaving his position as shop manager to join Gibson (in Nashville) as Director of Brand Experience .

Director of Brand Experience? That sounds made up. Or maybe that’s what Mark A. thought until new CEO J Curleigh (or his “people”) made him an offer that would make all of his wildest vintage P-90 dreams come true. Mark was just doing what he loved.

‘Guessing that Wildwood Guitar’s hyper-caffeinated guitar demo guy Greg Koch was a little too “experienced”.

I was out In LA for work last month and on a day off, I drove to Tarzana to check out Norms and a birth year J-45 they had listed on their website. Mark was sitting behind a desk and and apologized profusely about the J-45 just getting snapped up (Namm was going on that day), and took a lot of time showing me other ‘64 guitars in the shop. I ended playing an amazing ‘53 SJ for most of my time in the shop. Unbelievably nice guy and knowledgeable.. Norms quickly became none of my favorite shops. We talked for a bit and he gave me some picks and I gave him some chachki’s from my work.

I didn’t know he was youtube famous here until recently.

If they listen to people like they say they are, they need someone to go out and talk to people. He seems like he can already give a lot of knowledge of what people are looking for. He might be able to let Gibson know what is going to sell. Also, he give them an instant presence on you tube. I don't know if Bozeman needs him as much as Nashville. I will watch any content Gibson puts out, but I don't just take their word for it. The independent reviews are pretty important, which you won't get from anyone working for Gibson. I watch all of Don's videos, and he does a good job showing products in the best light, but he isn't going to tell you that something is no good. If it gets to production, his job is to sell it. Gibson acoustic, for the most part doesn't have a problem here, because it has been mostly good stuff. Nashville, on the other hand, needed someone to stop the bad ideas before they got to production. A few bad ideas has taken years for them to recover from. Even the best salesmen, and brand experience people can't sell a bad product.

Well... I bet Gibson noticed the traction and views that his you tube videos got. I bet he will do more of them. I bet he will visit with dealers and do videos for them for their websites... kind of like a Don Ruffatto but more Vegas? I bet he does Gibson customer events on the road at dealerships like Russo's.

Anyways... I like Don Ruffatto... incredibly genuine guy... happy to help.. great with intelligent information sharing. I'm in my fifties... I know what I like.

If Mark ends up doing a night at a dealership... he will be more relate-able to young buyers... That's mY thought?

That would also be my thought on what the position will likely do. Plus, perhaps also interact with the design teams to provide input into what players potentially will like or not like in a specific model planned to be built.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

To me this is very good news. I say that not because I know much about this guy, but it shows Gibson is paying attention to what goes on in the channels their potential customers visit. Very good new indeed!

Lars

I’m not sure what the position entails.

But it was stated that the postion had been created specifically for him.

JC

Basically, sounds like they saw his stuff and said "we gotta have this guy." They'll figure out how to use him later.

He is a real personality, and has a knack for showing off vintage guitars in the best possible ways. Can he do it for new guitars? We'll see.

I have nothing against this Person at all.

I'm hoping the new Gibson isn't throwing money at something that isn't an issue. Creating Titles & jobs with no real Job description for Buds that don't really do anything...

Gibson's main goal right now should be to get the new Products they've been hyping into Stores. The Bread & Butter Guitars. Especially the attractive Priced stuff we've been hearing about for the part few months & were previewed at Winter NAMM 2018... With attention to Quality Control being first & foremost.....

I would like to see Gibsons Part Dep't expand... Making hard to get items more readily available at competitive prices... Example, Gibson USA Nickel Plated Dogear P90's.... I bet a lot of you have something you could add to the list...

This is a great opportunity for Gibson... I hope they take it serious...

L

I must be that special kind of stupid but what the heck is a Director of Brand Experience and why does Gibson need one.

Do you want me to have a shot at defining the job description without really knowing what it is?

A good guess would be the new position name is short for:

A public relations executive with previous experience in guitar playing and guitar selling with a brief to tip the sliding scale of lost Gibson guitar customers back to buying Gibson guitar customers with a mixture of methods including talking, talking and playing guitar, announcing new guitars, playing the new guitars at functions and on videos, then talking some more.

How’s that?

BluesKing777.

Archived