Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: ‘59 J-50

nid2007

Last night actually. Received and unboxed a 2018 Limited Edition ‘59 J-50.

I’m very pleased, and highly recommend this model. The neck is chunky. Not a bat like my LG-2, but more sizable than anything else I have, including the ‘94 Smeck. It’s a very round C shape, and in that respect it is like the LG.

It is very lightweight, coming in just under 4 pounds...noticeably lighter than my 2001 J-45, which is also light.

A little curious that they went retro with certain things, like there being no inside label and putting a vintage looking serial number stamp on the neckblock, ...but yet still stuck a custom shop label on the neck. Not a big deal at all, but I would have left it off.

It sounded great right out of the box, but I won’t know it’s full potential until I put my EJ-19’s on it.

I highly recommend Mill River Music and Guitars, who gave me a great deal. Perhaps one of you traded this into them? By the serial #, it seems to be from the same run as the same model for sale currently at CME.

8501179D-195C-4B5C-9CB3-9ABCF11CD188.jpg

59626491-6D93-49E2-9F26-A63183DC0180.jpg

20EF4506-54E7-4FBC-A53E-9CED027BD016.jpg

73AE9158-168B-4102-994F-B54A6FA63579.jpg

Nice looking guitar. The torrefaction has a very interesting effect on the top, but that already looked like a rather barky set of spruce. Photo 2 shows some big string break, too. Congrats.

My J50 is my lone remaining Gibson... ...

What the ? ?

1552011215[/url]' post='1981525']

Thanks guys.

Sal, I didn't know you sold the Bird. I liked that you had that guitar!

I’m sorry...I sold five guitars... purging and simplifying a ton in my life. Realizing that the times I was happiest were sans toys. Well... still need a few toys of course.

I should have thought to come back to you and offer you first refusal. I feel bad now.

I’m sorry...I sold five guitars... purging and simplifying a ton in my life. Realizing that the times I was happiest were sans toys. Well... still need a few toys of course.

I should have thought to come back to you and offer you first refusal. I feel bad now.

No worries at all! I wouldn’t have bought it. I really liked it, in that it was was my favorite bird, but I had no use for a square shoulder hog when I so much prefer the shape of the slope. Now, you might have been able to talk me into trade plus cash involving the ‘69 d-35 before I came to my senses and pulled it from the agf listing, but I would have regretted it soon after. All good my friend!

Sal,

Are you OK?

If you need to unload anything off your chest please PM me.

All the best !

JC

Last night actually. Received and unboxed a 2018 Limited Edition ‘59 J-50.

I’m very pleased, and highly recommend this model. The neck is chunky. Not a bat like my LG-2, but more sizable than anything else I have, including the ‘94 Smeck. It’s a very round C shape, and in that respect it is like the LG.

It is very lightweight, coming in just under 4 pounds...noticeably lighter than my 2001 J-45, which is also light.

A little curious that they went retro with certain things, like there being no inside label and putting a vintage looking serial number stamp on the neckblock, ...but yet still stuck a custom shop label on the neck. Not a big deal at all, but I would have left it off.

It sounded great right out of the box, but I won’t know it’s full potential until I put my EJ-19’s on it.

I highly recommend Mill River Music and Guitars, who gave me a great deal. Perhaps one of you traded this into them? By the serial #, it seems to be from the same run as the same model for sale currently at CME.

8501179D-195C-4B5C-9CB3-9ABCF11CD188.jpg

59626491-6D93-49E2-9F26-A63183DC0180.jpg

20EF4506-54E7-4FBC-A53E-9CED027BD016.jpg

73AE9158-168B-4102-994F-B54A6FA63579.jpg

What a lovely looking guitar!

JC

Very nice! I have not seen one of these before. I'll bet it cost a small fortune. ;)

Looks pretty much the same as my 2008 J-50 from your pictures. I put the same kind of tuners on mine, although it originally had ugly Rotomatics. No custom shop logo on mine, and it has a white label inside. As you can tell from my signature, I'm a big fan of the J-50!

I love the top on that thing. I am normally not a fan of the appearance of torrefied tops, but that one is really cool. If I were to pick one out of lineup that I thought would sound good, that would be the one.

Is the'59 neck profile different from the round carve on TV's and other recent vintage reissues?

Love J-50s. Visually they are one of my favorite guitars.

Mine is from 2015, and also carries the custom shop sticker - but the back & sides are a light honey colored shade of mahogany, and the neck is sort of a low profile (not chunky).

Interesting how Gibson has tinkered with this model in the last few years.

Anyway - Congrats, it's a beauty!

This looks like it - nice guitar!

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/gibson-montana-limited-1959-j-50-antique-natural-wthermally-aged-sitka-spruce-top-bone-saddle/15181121

"Available for the first time in the United States and manufactured exclusively for Chicago Music Exchange, the vintage-inspired Gibson Montana Limited 1959 J-50 was initially built solely for Japanese retailers"

That is one gorgeous guitar.

Beautiful top.

Some J-50's during the 1950's had the walnut-stained (dark) back and sides like a J-45, and some only had a clear filler coat, with no stain, resulting in much lighter back and sides. I personally prefer the dark back and sides for the dramatic contrast with the top.

Also, of course, in 1959 the top braces would have been tapered but un-scalloped.

1959 was probably the last year of the more chunky necks, at least for much of the Gibson line. They started getting thinner in section around 1960, even though they maintained the 1 11/16" nut width until about 1965 in most cases.

This looks like a very nice reproduction.

Congratulations.

Yeah, that top grain is really something. Surprised there's no label. In any case, major congrats!

There would not have been a label on a 1959 J-50, so it is an authentic touch. Now, if they would just leave those "custom shop" decals off the back of the neck...

This looks like it - nice guitar!

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/gibson-montana-limited-1959-j-50-antique-natural-wthermally-aged-sitka-spruce-top-bone-saddle/15181121

"Available for the first time in the United States and manufactured exclusively for Chicago Music Exchange, the vintage-inspired Gibson Montana Limited 1959 J-50 was initially built solely for Japanese retailers"

Yes, serial number is so close that it must be from same run. Mine was used, so the cost was way way less than the the current CME price. Though they have 2 I think at CME and they are getting to be in the new old stock range, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are willing to bring that current $3100 price down a bit.

It seems just like all the J-45 Vintage (with cooked tops) I’ve played, but a much rounder and thicker neck.

Here’s the specs on the neck as compared to the J-45 Vintage that CME had:

J50 LE ‘59

1st fret = .90

10th fret = 1.01

2019 J45 Vintage

1st fret = .88

10th fret = .95

Archived