Gibson Brands Forums

Ironic?

KSG_Standard

Hopefully it didn't kill of any endangered species when it landed in the Arctic Wildlife Reserve.

Wouldn't want contaminated caribou mucking around in some toxic rocket remains.

why do people care if a species go extinct? why the **** does it matter so much to us?

discuss

some plants and animals provide us with oils, medicines, and other natural byproducts.

made up scenario.

a polar bear in alaska becomes extinct because some BS complication from a new oil pipeline, the animals (rabbits for example)that where eaten by the polar bears explode in population, the large rabbit population eats a special kind of grass, because there are so many rabbits, they eat all of the grass, and the grass becomes extinct

20 years later, we find out that grass could cure AIDS, but the grass is no longer around because it became extinct because there where too many rabbits eating the grass because the polar bears went extinct because someone put an oil pipeline where the bears live.

that is a totally made up tory, but very possible, which is why I always try and save the planet when i can, we live here on earth, just like we live in a house, we never trash out house, but for some reason, we dont have a problem trashing the earth.

Accidents happen all the time since the dawn on spaceflight. We just happen to hear more about them now through the internet. The bottom line is that launching spacecraft into orbit is hard. Now I'm not saying that some accidents can't be avoided (the Mars explorer with the whole units issue was very embarrassing). But there are lots of other reasons these failures happen.

First, NASA's budget is thin even with the extra dollars they are going to get. Most people don't know that it only accounts for about 0.7% percent of the federal budget, yet it's one of the most scrutinized agencies in the country for some reason! Second, the engineers from the 60s and 70s are retiring, which is going to leave a huge knowledge void. My former postdoc advisor from NASA NEVER had a failure because he does plan for every contingency. Fortunately none of the spacecraft I worked on when I was at NASA have failed either and it's because I learned a lot from him. Third, "kids" today are too quick to rely on computers instead using their heads first. I start off EVERY design of a spacecraft control system with pen and paper using simplified equations first. Then I go to a computer sim to make sure my assumptions are correct. I then check and recheck my theory and build up from there. But this takes time and money (does it really though if we can save a few spacecraft by doing it right instead of being pushed by budgets and deadlines?).

Bottom line is that with thin budgets, knowledge loss and those darn computers we're going to probably see more failures...

Oh, yes it is ironic. But there are a lot of spacecraft doing great science for our future. For example, look at the TRMM spacecraft which has been a huge success (I happen to work on this one).

Yeah, good post rocketman.

I'm with you. Brain drain, dwindling budgets, and yes computers vs. human intelligence, probably all result in a diminished capacity for success when it comes to NASA.

Still, it could have just been FOD that resulted in that satellite not to deploy properly.=P~

Archived