Gibson Brands Forums

Two of my weirdest...one SJ, one J-45

Lars68

I just re-did a version each of the two songs of mine I consider my weirdest. I hope you don't find them too weird...

Do they work as is? Singing any better?

This one has a modern SJ as main guitar:

This one is with my old 1942 J-45 with nickel / bronze string (really like the dryness of these strings on this tune):

Lars

I just re-did a version each of the two songs of mine I consider my weirdest. I hope you don't find them too weird...

Do they work as is? Singing any better?

This one has a modern SJ as the main guitar:

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/29th-of-september-1

This one is with my old 1942 J-45 with nickel/bronze string (really like the dryness of these strings on this tune):

Lars

My choice leads to the J-45.

Very nice! What brand strings on the J-45?

Thanks. They are D'Addarios, nickel bronze. By the way, I didn't use the J-45 with these strings for the first song linked above, even though I love the dry, bleak sound of them. Their tone just made that particular song unbarebly gloomy and suicidal sounding. It's depressing enough as is with the brighter sounding SJ [biggrin]

Lars

I'm going with the Northern Star, J-45.

Is that your ETL mic in the pic?

Dig it !

Thanks! It's just a picture of the ETL-mic I found on the web, but mine is the same. I thought that the picture fit in well with the other visuals on the page.

Yes, Northern Star is probably the better song. The other one, in all its bleakness, is most likely never going to be a fan favorite [biggrin]

Lars

Both of these efforts have a lot going for them. I am impressed. The vocals have improved a great deal since I happened upon the scene early last Summer. Keep pushing them forward.

The timing of an electric guitar as an enforcer is very impressive on the 29th of September song. Right when the substance into the spine line. The Northn Star has two nice energy level climbs in each. Very nice, again.

Both of these efforts have a lot going for them. I am impressed. The vocals have improved a great deal since I happened upon the scene early last Summer. Keep pushing them forward.

The timing of an electric guitar as an enforcer is very impressive on the 29th of September song. Right when the substance into the spine line. The Northn Star has two nice energy level climbs in each. Very nice, again.

I appreciate the comments. The singing is getting better, but I don't ever expect to be great. I'm just happy to now be sort of in tune. Whenever I play my songs for family and friends, 29th of September always tends to be the one that people likes the least (or dislikes the most...perhaps). They usually think it's too depressive, and drone like, or flat out boring. I can see where these comments are coming from, but I tend to be very stubborn about this particular song, more so than any other. I want it to be that way, and the drone sound is intentional. Of the songs I have done, it's my personal favorite. So I'm glad you saw some qualities in it.

Lars

Archived