Gibson Brands Forums
Salfromchatham

The Luckiest Man

Wow, well that definitely didn't suck. Really though, super well done and thank you for posting! IMO, the J50 sounds real good as well (almost as good as my J45 :)!

Very nice Sal! You making these recordings feel so effortless and smooth. Nice harmony vocals too, and that guitar sounds heavenly.

Lars

Thanks you gents for listening! I'm hearing the J50 a little more trebly than usual. I think I need to try beefier warmer Strings... maybe go up in gauge or tension.

And regarding harmony... I think the thing I like most gigging with my friend Mike is singing harmony... I have been working on developing me ear for it. So thanks for that compliment...

Edited by ThemisSal

Really nice Sal!

I have Ej-19’s on mine, and it likes them. I posted a sample on the J-50 ngd thread.

My D-35 was sounding too bright and trebly with my usual ej’s and I put monel retros on, and they really warmed it up. If you’ve never tried them, maybe give it a shot.

Edited by nid2007

There are a lot of talented folks out there whose friends and acquaintances have no idea. Excellent rendition. It was so nice I had to listen to it twice, best thing I have heard all day.

Edited by Ozark

Very good. I don't know that song and I don't know The Wood Brothers. It's a good song, has a nostalgic sound of the 60s-70s. Good job!

Sal,

That was outstanding! I listened to it straight through a couple of times, cranking up the volume in the cans to get a better sense of it. Great harmonies. You've almost got that Levon Helm harmony-tight-with-lead thing going here, and I like it.

Gushing.... Thanks again gents.

Nid, I just ordered those EJ19s... I bet they are the ticket. I’ll go listen to your sound sample now...

Have a good week everyone

That was just great, man. I love a guitar/mandolin combo. Drums and bass simply aren't needed.

Well done, Sal.

One of the best things I've heard on here , not just by you and your normal high standards , but including everyone

I know you dont realise what handsome chap you are , what with you being mr modest, but it makes a huge difference with seeing you play and not just a guitar shot

I know it means getting out of your pyjamas and putting a shirt on but it makes a difference to the overall performance

Never heard the song before

The wood brothers? Will be checking their stuff out tout suite

+1 on the EJ-19s, they're what I use on my J-50 and AJ. Actually the EXP coated version. I'm a Wood Brothers fan, but I don't know their whole catalog and I don't know that one, thanks for posting that!

Gushing.... Thanks again gents.

Nid, I just ordered those EJ19s... I bet they are the ticket. I’ll go listen to your sound sample now...

Have a good week everyone

After my string change to my usual ej-19’s, I was finding the j-50 a little brighter than I wanted. I put on Monel Retro last night (mediums on bass strings and Lights on trebles). I highly recommend. Unfortunately, I don’t think they make a bluegrass set, so I had to buy a med and light set to get what I wanted.

Very warm, but still quite loud sparkly enough.

Nicely done! I love that song. There's something a little off-kilter in the timing when the Wood Bros play it. I've never been able to quite get it. You smoothed it out nicely.