Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 models with a cutaway?

kidblast

Got a friend who is interested in an SJ200, the only thing is, he feels that no cutaway is a deal breaker. (I don't believe it is, but to each their own) I mentioned that with the current line up, I don't see any production line SJ200s offering a cutaway. I pointed him to the Hummingbird/j45s and the songwriters assuming he's looking to go new. On the other hand, I have seen them, but they were from previous years. There's one of Ebay now from 2009. So now I'm curious, any one here know the background with regards to SJ200s and cutaway models?

I did suggest he could call them to see about a custom order, I know this guy pretty good,, well enough to say that the "money" to do that, would not be something he'd be worrying about. LOL!

Gibson produced a model called SJ 200 EC.

I think they are doing a few for 2019.

If not I’m sure he can custom order one.

JC

yea those are the ones I've seen floating around on the 2nd hand market. Doesn't seem that recently tho, there's any in production.

There is another one I found and suggested, the Avante Guard Walnut Parlor (it's a jumbo, so not sure why they decided to call it "parlor" which most of the planet would associate with a small bodied acoustic. (I don't see these are in the current line up either) but there's some form 2018 still available online.

Got a friend who is interested in an SJ200, the only thing is, he feels that no cutaway is a deal breaker. (I don't believe it is, but to each their own)

Lol - I joined the forum looking for a cutaway bird. I posted a few things listened to feedback played a few examples and am now in the anti cutaway family. Tell him to join the forum, post a few questions, listen to feedback, try some examples - and then he can get a proper SJ200. :)

But to tell the truth, I bet an SJ200 w/ a cutaway is still awesome... just not as awesome!

I know Like that j200 with a cutaway on Ebay,, has a barn door cut out for a preamp panel as well. About as close to blasphemy as it gets.

HA!

all kidding aside I doubt he would miss it, I only have one acoustic with a cutaway, and it's a nylon string.

I've always been militantly anti-cutaway...until I pick up my old Takamine EAN20C and remember how convenient a cutaway is for anything up at the dusty end.

I wouldn't spend my money on a cutaway SJ200 but I don't think they look horrendous, I rather like the natty little foreshortening of the pickguard.

According to a 2008 MF catalog I happened to save, at that time there was a "Modern Classic" version of the J-200 with a cutaway. Electronics were side-mounted.

Interestingly in that same year, Gibson was selling their Modern Classic CJ-165 cutaway version with a soundhole mounted Fishman Aura system. My maple CJ-165ce is from 2007, with the same soundhole Fishman, which I much prefer to the side-mount style.

Too bad they didn't extend the soundhole mount version to the J-200 cutaway model.

. . . I rather like the natty little foreshortening of the pickguard.

I only clicked to see the natty:

(showing non-cut for comparison purposes)

QHIyPyP.png

. . . and thought the trim of that jib looked familiar:

cJGpaAj.png?1

An amazing set of maple on the back of the (above/right) Super 200: https://reverb.com/item/6118545-2000-gibson-super-200-cutaway-custom-namm-show-prototype-antique-natural-finish-one-of-a-kind?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI04mhjPP64AIVLbCzCh3RFAN1EAkYGiABEgJsH_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

• 1 year later...