Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul BFG

Joe M

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Mike Nillesen said:

I have a BFG  gold top and I'm thinking of maybe rewiring it so I don't have a kil switch. does anyone know if this is possible and how much this wil cost? 

will the guitar then lose it's price or will it then go up?

You won't help the value of the guitar by taking the kill switch out of it, or disabling it, that's for sure. 

What's the down side to leaving it as is, and simply not using the kill switch?

Me personally, I LOVE a kill switch. 

🙂

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

You won't help the value of the guitar by taking the kill switch out of it, or disabling it, that's for sure. 

What's the down side to leaving it as is, and simply not using the kill switch?

Me personally, I LOVE a kill switch. 

🙂

I just don't understand the purpose of the kill switch. but thanks for your answer. 

I want to make it like a normal Gibsons. I would like to make it so I have the toggle switch instead of the kill switch, so I can have an an extra tone knob. 

Do you guys think that this is possible? and how much this wil cost? 

It is certainly possible; search for Les Paul wiring harnesses on the net.  If you can solder, you shoulkd be able to do it yourself without too much trouble....IF the hole for the killswitch is the same size or larger than the hole(s) for the pot shaft(s).  Otherwise you need to take it to an experienced repairman.  One thing to consider is - can the modification be reversed if you wanted to put the guitar back to original?  Otherwise the mod may affect the value.

I don't dig kill switches on a guitar either.  But then I tend to use a volume pedal.

Best wishes.

Edited by jdgm

9 hours ago, Mike Nillesen said:

I just don't understand the purpose of the kill switch. but thanks for your answer. 

I want to make it like a normal Gibsons. I would like to make it so I have the toggle switch instead of the kill switch, so I can have an an extra tone knob. 

You have a BFG, which is most decidedly not a normal Gibson Les Paul. 
In any way. 
It's unique and weird. 
And that's why so many people out there covet it. 
Because it's so different. 

Why not sell it (as is) to a BFG enthusiast, and get yourself a normal, pedestrian, regular Gibson Les Paul?

Everybody wins that way. 

🙂

The kill switch affords you a stuttery-on/off effect which is employed by many metal players. 

Ace Frehley used to end some songs with a mammoth power chord, but use the kill switch to dramatic effect at the very end of the song, leading to a powerful finish. 

Well. Actually, he would usually just  roll the Volume all the way off of the neck pickup, finish the song on the Bridge pickup, and then use the pickup selector switch as a defacto kill switch to achieve the same flashy effect. 

🙂

11 hours ago, Mike Nillesen said:

Mike,

Just sell it to me as is. 

If it's bone-stock from 2007 to 2008, I'll pay you fair market value for it, and then you can go after a Gibson Les Paul more to your liking, one with 2 Volume knobs and 2 Tone knobs. 

Really. 
I have been wanting a proper vintage BFG, and this way we both come out ahead. 

🙂

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

It is certainly possible; search for Les Paul wiring harnesses on the net.  If you can solder, you shoulkd be able to do it yourself without too much trouble....IF the hole for the killswitch is the same size or larger than the hole(s) for the pot shaft(s).  Otherwise you need to take it to an experienced repairman.  One thing to consider is - can the modification be reversed if you wanted to put the guitar back to original?  Otherwise the mod may affect the value.

I don't dig kill switches on a guitar either.  But then I tend to use a volume pedal.

Best wishes.

thank you.

9 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Mike,

Just sell it to me as is. 

If it's bone-stock from 2007 to 2008, I'll pay you fair market value for it, and then you can go after a Gibson Les Paul more to your liking, one with 2 Volume knobs and 2 Tone knobs. 

Really. 
I have been wanting a proper vintage BFG, and this way we both come out ahead. 

🙂

i see you like the BFG a lot. but I don't think I'm going to sell it. 

I enjoy playing it and it looks pretty cool. 

but thank you for your reply

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike Nillesen said:

i see you like the BFG a lot. but I don't think I'm going to sell it. 

I enjoy playing it and it looks pretty cool. 

but thank you for your reply

I owned a 2018 BFG (P-90 model) for almost two years. 

Ultimately the dual  P-90's didn't do it for me, and I began to crave a proper, mega-weird 2007-2008 one, with all the odd original trappings. 

I've been on a quest. 

😗

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ivanjefe said:

Hi, I have the 2008 black BFG and the body looks kind of dry. What product would you recommend me to use in order to hydrate  or moisturize it without damaging the wood?

My recommendation;

Rub the body down with F-ONE Oil, and let it hang dry for a few hours. 
Go back and buff the entire guitar down with a dry terrycloth. 
Then buff in some Turtle Wax spray shine. 

I have found that the carnauba wax in that product is really good for keeping my guitars looking right and feeling happy. 

🙂

• 10 months later...