Gibson Brands Forums

Now We Wait

zombywoof

I do feel like I live a charmed life when it comes to guitars. If I just wait long enough I will get contacted by somebody who has this or that guitar they know I would like to own. One of those just popped up. I am not going to say what it is at the moment as I do not want to jinx it so will leave it at it is a 1930s Gibson. The owner is a good friend. He told me what it would take to get me into the guitar. I responded with "your killing me" and countered. The waiting game is on. While I try not to get emotional about guitars I really hate this. It is so much less trying on the soul dealing face to face rather than long distance (the guitar is five states away). But this is one of the few guys I know whose opinion about guitars is good as gold to me. So how about somebody do something to take my mind off of it.

It's hard to know what to offer when you really want a guitar, particularly when it's one of those that rarely comes along. I probably could have gotten my "new" J-45 for less than I paid, but that particular guitar had my name all over it, as jedzep said at the time. Sixty-nine-year-old completely original guitars being sold by the original owner don't come along every day.

Once it was in my hands, it was apparent it was going to need some real money put into it to get it to where it could and should be, but that's OK. It was more important to get the guitar than to pay as little as possible for it.

If you really want it, offer what you are willing to pay, rather than what you'd like to get it for.

If you really want it, offer what you are willing to pay, rather than what you'd like to get it for.

As I said this a an old friend and there is a dance that we must do before it is all said and done. Tradition! As he says you know you have a deal when nobody is overjoyed with it.

As I said this a an old friend and there is a dance that we must do before it is all said and done. Tradition! As he says you know you have a deal when nobody is overjoyed with it.

Not if the rich Australian turns up first! [flapper]

(kidding, Zomb, it is impossible to get anything past CITES).

BluesKing777.

I want one of these 30s black Gibson L-00s...

What do you think of this one?

BluesKing777.

It looks pretty good, but it also looks like there may be a couple of top cracks. Maybe some rim cracks or other rim damage as well showing in the very last photo. Black stain can hide a lot of things. No mention of neck angle, and no good picture showing the amount of fretboard wear. I would want some very specific photos before buying without a first-hand inspection, which I know is not an option for you.

Concerning your old L-O, did you ever scrape that fretboard to figure out what type of wood it was? I wonder if someone didn't just paint the original board black when they put in those MOP blocks (if that's what they were).

All three of those black L-OO's on Reverb look a bit rode hard and put away wet, which is pretty much what I saw when I was looking for a vintage L-OO a few years ago.

I get that, and if he is a friend, he won't sell it out from under you until you've gone through the ritual.

It looks pretty good, but it also looks like there may be a couple of top cracks. Maybe some rim cracks or other rim damage as well showing in the very last photo. Black stain can hide a lot of things. No mention of neck angle, and no good picture showing the amount of fretboard wear. I would want some very specific photos before buying without a first-hand inspection, which I know is not an option for you.

Concerning your old L-O, did you ever scrape that fretboard to figure out what type of wood it was? I wonder if someone didn't just paint the original board black when they put in those MOP blocks (if that's what they were).

All three of those black L-OO's on Reverb look a bit rode hard and put away wet, which is pretty much what I saw when I was looking for a vintage L-OO a few years ago.

I don’t want another wreck. Or a rattler. A nice ‘player’. I will personally fly on Skidmark Airways in the worst seat to pick a nice one up. (Cheaper than delivery/customs/bank fees etc etc these days - here). Though I did get treated well on an upgrade to first class.....hmmmm. There seems to be a lot of mint ones in Japan.

Old L-0 fretboard - it WAS a real piece of driftwood with wormholes. And the MOPs rattled. Luthier and apprentice laughed. Not laughing now. Luthier called it a ‘Killer Guitar’ and while he is a great friend, luthier, repairer....he is never ever nice to me.

I am going to play my black Waterloo now. With an expensive pickup I don’t like, recommended by experts...

BluesKing777.

What's the pickup BK?

You mentioned somewhere that you had a new one on it's way

The new pickup is on the back of a camel somewhere, crossing the Silk Road enroute from Thomann Germany to Mongolia and then Shanghai for a junk across the China Sea to Australia. Late and so sign of a delivery, in other words. Seymour Duncan Mag Mic with adjustable pole pieces AND a little mic. Seymour Duncan of Californiaye wouldn’t send me one, protecting their Australian dealers who haven’t had a Mag Mic in stock in 10 years. Probably everyone here plays the unmentionable guitar instead. But I had to buy from Germany. I am told the Mag Mic will fit my Martin OMs. If it ever arrives...

The one I played today in my Waterloo is a Dimarzio Black Angel passive soundhole pickup with adjustable pole pieces. Not a lot of volume being passive, but I run it to my Sunrise pickup’s preamp and then EQ it with my Fishman Pro EQ and it sounds fabulous for a mag pickup. And fits my OM. I am hoping the Mag Mic wil sound as good but with a little mic to give it some air. How’s that?

But it should fit and sound good interchanging on my guitars that don’t have a pickup..... I really like the Sunrise and the Baggs M1A but they don’t fit the smaller guitars I like. It was a very disappointing moment when my luthier soldered a guitar plug on my Sunrise pickup, as a personal favour.....and then it didn’t fit the custom guitar he made me.....

No matter, all part of the enjoyable guitar learning experience. And it also comes under the heading of the thread, doesn’t it? Now We Wait......also waiting for a luthier repair....

BluesKing777.

I get that, and if he is a friend, he won't sell it out from under you until you've gone through the ritual.

That is not an issue. Ultimately, neither will the cash be a major obstacle. As I said, it is just part of dance the owner and I have been doing for almost 20 years now. But there are a few things about the guitar that do not line up with what I would expect. I may have to drop Tom a line on this one as I am flummoxed.

That is not an issue. Ultimately, neither will the cash be a major obstacle. As I said, it is just part of dance the owner and I have been doing for almost 20 years now. But there are a few things about the guitar that do not line up with what I would expect. I may have to drop Tom a line on this one as I am flummoxed.

The plot thickens...

If I do not get any insight into some questions I have I may end up posting more about the guitar here and UMGF. I just do not like posting about a guitar that I am not holding in my sweaty little hands never mind one that is not yet in the bag. But I do have questions and neither the owner nor I have the kind of expertise that could offer enlightenment.

If I do not get any insight into some questions I have I may end up posting more about the guitar here and UMGF. I just do not like posting about a guitar that I am not holding in my sweaty little hands never mind one that is not yet in the bag. But I do have questions and neither the owner nor I have the kind of expertise that could offer enlightenment.

You know your "pals" here are eager to help you solve mysteries, even when we know absolutely nothing about them...

You know your "pals" here are eager to help you solve mysteries, even when we know absolutely nothing about them...

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

You want us to ring your friend for you, Zomb, and just say you'll have it. [bored]

Meanwhile, what about this one?

1930 Gibson L-0 all mahogany...clean.

https://reverb.com/item/15514830-gibson-l-0-1930-mahogany

I played the Waterloo copy of it at a shop, but it was already sold. It was fabulous. And half the price brand new full retail... beautiful setup by Collings, lovely frets etc and tone, tone, tone. I have never played the real ones. (I have had quite a few all mahogany's over the years and still have my 1944 Martin 0-17.....

https://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-12-mh/

BluesKing777.

That guitar is almost too clean to be believed. Was it ever even played?

Yep, a friend's brand new guitar looks older than that already...

Bridge looks old and real, headstock is scratched a bit and there are marks before the nut on the fretboard, kinda like when you use a lap slide extension nut? The rest looks like old wood, including the neck and back but no, not played. At all. Or a machine type sander has been run over all of it? :unsure:

Now if they had used ebony on the fretboard instead of Braz, with the price plus the price drop, it would be here with me trying it out! [biggrin][wink][laugh]

BluesKing777.

Archived