Gibson Brands Forums

D1ck Dale

jdgm

What can I say?

The sound of a whole era.

R.I.P.

Yeah it’s sad. I love D1ck Dale’s music a lot and I find this to be a huge drag... I play a few of his songs and saw him live and all that... just a real bummer. Rest in peace king of the surf guitar. You have inspired me greatly and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

loved the ventures, what a great band.

i read an article from someone at fender who said that leo would beta test amps by giving them to mr dale. if they could survive the way he used them, leo deemed them worthy of distribution.

and also, i think we're all grown ups here. the word filter is ridiculous and infantile. someone needs to kill it

I remember his music. listened to it as a kid. I didn't know he said he couldn't stop touring or he would die, He had to come up with $3,000.00 every month to pay for medical supplies to stay alive. Now that is sad. RIP.

R.I.P. to yet another one of the greats.

Hal Blaine, D!ck Dale.... it's got me wondering who will complete the "Legendary West Coast Musician" trifecta, since things tend to happen in threes. Hopefully, that won't be the case this time.

and also, i think we're all grown ups here. the word filter is ridiculous and infantile. someone needs to kill it

I remember when the word "ridiculous" would get filtered.

But back to OP. RIP Mr. Dale.

loved the ventures, what a great band.

i read an article from someone at fender who said that leo would beta test amps by giving them to mr dale. if they could survive the way he used them, leo deemed them worthy of distribution.

Ventures guitarist was Nokie Edwards

When I saw **** Dale last year he talked about his involvement with Fender. Fender designed the Dual Showman amp for **** Dale

I went with a friend who is also a guitar player and from the first note his tone was incredible. It has huge depth like a big piano. I immediately tried copying with my Twin Reverb

He was still playing gigs at least around here in so cal up to the end and his playing was immaculate.

He mentioned having health issues when we saw him

Ver sad.

I first saw him 1964 at Melodyland in Anaheim, right down the street from Disneyland .

He was using his gold Strat, and playing through a Fender Dual Showman amp, and a Fender reverb box.

Never forget, but some thing was not sounding right, and he walked over and kicked his reverb box off the stage.

What a sound that made when it hit the floor.

Saw him about 20 years later playing at a little chicken $hit hole in the wall in Riverside Ca

Richard Anthony Monsour, aka D!ck Dale, what a ride it’s been, RIP .Growing up in So. Cal in the 50s and 60s he was ubiquitous, playing The Beast with heavy strings through his Dual Showman that Leo designed for Mr. Dale. Anti alcohol and anti drug for at least the last 30 years, and a vegetarian, he had been fighting colon rectal cancer since 2008. Rock on Brother, Gods Speed..

Archived