Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring on Epiphone Dot 339

100949football

Hi, can anyone help. My Epiphone dot 338 (serial No: 16101501488 - can anyone date that for me ) has given me problems for a couple of years now. I ONLY play in the house (the guitar has never left my "toy" room) but the top control knob has had an intermittent fault in which it simply would cut out sound completely. I did contact Epiphone (Gibson) about this over a year ago but they were completely unhelpful. I purchased this guitar as new from a music shop which has long-since closed down (sign of the times) and I had lost the receipt for it. Epiphone / Gibson would not help in any way but I am certain the guitar was well within warranty when I first notified them They would not entertain me.......... However, After playing largely with my Epi SG and Les Paul I recently took the 339 down from the wall again to play and found the top control problem was now PERMANENT and selecting that control just cuts out sound completely. ALL the other controls work ok. Having looked around it appears this was/is a common problem with this guitar model so I can probably understand why Epiphone / Gibson originally refused to help. I am obviously VERY disappointed in their inaction or failure to help. Bill, Falkirk, Scotland

Sounds like you have a bad pot. ES's are a chore to change electronics.

Thanks a lot for that friend.......yes it sounds like repair is beyond me as it looks very tricky to get into. I've put it into my7 local guitar repair shop in Edinburgh.....I'm just waiting for the horrendous "estimate".....as I continue to be angry about Gibson/Epiphone's intransigence in refusing to help. The Epi ES339 is a lovely guitar though. Bill

The person that used to do my guitar work for me charged $200 to work on any ES cause everything has to be done through the F holes. I have no idea why Gibson does not put covers on the back of ES guitars.

Thanks again friend....that has cheered me up no end....and I agree - a VERY poor design which could EASILY have been so much simpler!!!!! Take note Epiphone / Gibson. !!!!!!!!!! Although my opinions of Epi/Gibson are already pretty low indeed. I don't think they listen to their customers - or very much care for that matter!

Right there is a reason they're called F holes :)

Now that it's in the shop and in the techs hands not much you can do but wait.

But it could be a bad part or just dust, possibly in the selector switch.

Toggling it back and forth a bunch of times might have cleaned up the contacts.

Same goes for the pots.

Anyways, don't worry about it, it's not like you snapped the headstock off

Right there is a reason they're called F holes :)

Now that it's in the shop and in the techs hands not much you can do but wait.

But it could be a bad part or just dust, possibly in the selector switch.

Toggling it back and forth a bunch of times might have cleaned up the contacts.

Same goes for the pots.

Anyways, don't worry about it, it's not like you snapped the headstock off

Not entirely sure the point of your reply friend, but thanks anyway.

Could be the pickup selector switch as well. But you should be able to tell if that is it by how it sounds in the middle position. At least those are easier to fix than the pots on a semi-hollow.

Thank you - delighted (and no little relieved ) - that the repair guy has come back to me today. was indeed the pickup sector switch requiring resoldering. Cost minimal £12.00 UK £ - 15$ - so I'm well pleased. I will be picking it up from the shop again on Sunday Thanks for all who replied to my problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The person that used to do my guitar work for me charged $200 to work on any ES cause everything has to be done through the F holes. I have no idea why Gibson does not put covers on the back of ES guitars.

It would defeat the semi hollow design, at least on paper. Imho

/Jim

Archived