Gibson Brands Forums

1965 LG-1 and B-25 How can you tell?

Zeo828

I recently bought a 1965 Gibson B-25 in Cherry Sunburst.

Since then I have noticed that they made Lg-1's in 1965 in cherry sunburst as well.

Is there a way to tell right away if my guitar is really a B-25? Or instead am LG-1? IS there a dead giveaway?

No where on my acoustic does it say B-25. In the sound hole etc....

So I'm starting to get concerned that I could I have been sold an LG-1 since they also made them in cherry sunburst?

I posted a pic of my guitar, it has a replaced bridge. The original was obviously plastic.

Thanks

LG1 is ladder braced.

LG2 is x braced. B25 is x braced. In the ‘mid 60’s the LG2 was only sunburst while the LG3 was natural. The B25 was sunburst and the B25N was natural.

The bodies of the 60s LG1, LG2, LG3, and B25, B-25N were identical, except for the LG1 being ladder braced. At least that is my understanding. I recall, however, a B25N having cherry sides and back while the LG3 had a dark wood sides and back. I know I have a cherry sunburst 1965 LG1. I have no clue if the 1965 LG2 came in cherry sunburst or not. I did at one time read that Gibson just changed the name of the LG models to B25. I never read of any substantial difference between the two model names. And, also that for a while both model names still were simultaneous in existence until the B25 name survived (in the 60s.). Hope this adds to the discussion.

The model name would be stamped on the inside directly in view from the soundhole. Though it could have faded.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Hey there Zeo, unless I’m completely lost I don’t see a pic anywhere. I’d like to see some shots inside the soundhold.

Edit: also someone can correct me if I’m wrong but the b25 should be x braced right? And the lg1 ladder. That should be a giveaway.

Here is the pic:

post-60708-073604000 1553021292_thumb.jpg

I just looked in Gruhn’s Vintage Guitar Guide. The LG2 was discontinued in 1962, replaced by the B25. 1961 LG2s came in cherry sunburst. B25s were introduced in 1962. B25s came in cherry sunburst. B25s were discontinued in 1977.

Ladder braced LG1s stayed in production until 1968 although some appeared until 1974.

Look inside the sound hole towards the bridge. If two pieces of wood braces form a V, it is an X braced B25. On a LG1, inside the sound hole towards the bridge there is just a straight piece of wood brace., signifying it is a ladder braced LG1.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I just looked in Gruhn’s Vintage Guitar Guide. The LG2 was discontinued in 1962, replaced by the B25. 1961 LG2s came in cherry sunburst. B25s were introduced in 1962. B25s came in cherry sunburst. B25s were discontinued in 1977.

Ladder braced LG1s stayed in production until 1968 although some appeared until 1974.

Look inside the sound hole towards the bridge. If two pieces of wood braces form a V, it is an X braced B25. On a LG1, inside the sound hole towards the bridge there is just a straight piece of wood brace., signifying it is a ladder braced LG1.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Thanks, I will do!!!

I'm pretty sure you have an LG1

Note the center strip going down the back inside the sound hole in the pic of the B25 in the attached link.

LG1's do not have this back strip.

So unless the backstrip fell off your guitar, (which is unlikely) you have an LG1

1965 Gibson B25

That's what I believed I noticed in the photo, and agree that it's most likely an LG-1.

I'm pretty sure you have an LG1

Note the center strip going down the back inside the sound hole in the pic of the B25 in the attached link.

LG1's do not have this back strip.

So unless the backstrip fell off your guitar, (which is unlikely) you have an LG1

1965 Gibson B25

Thank you! I am going to ask for a refund. It was sold to me as a B-25. I don't like the way it sounds either, not resonant, very direct sounding (if that makes sense).

Keep us posted...

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Will do.

I was playing the guitar the other day, and it sounded kinda bad to be honest. Then I began thinking "Well how do I really know that this is a B-25 and not and Lg-1?" NOW I know. I did tons of google searchers and yes it confirms what I learned here.

The seller is nice and he understood. It was an honest mistake. Only one problem....he apparently was selling the guitar for someone else. So he has to talk to that guy first. I do want a refund. The listing was for a 1965 B-25. Not an LG-1. I got this on reverb and they have a very good buyer protection program so I should be fine.

At least I now also learned more about Gibson acoustics.

Will do.

I was playing the guitar the other day, and it sounded kinda bad to be honest. Then I began thinking "Well how do I really know that this is a B-25 and not and Lg-1?" NOW I know. I did tons of google searchers and yes it confirms what I learned here.

The seller is nice and he understood. It was an honest mistake. Only one problem....he apparently was selling the guitar for someone else. So he has to talk to that guy first. I do want a refund. The listing was for a 1965 B-25. Not an LG-1. I got this on reverb and they have a very good buyer protection program so I should be fine.

At least I now also learned more about Gibson acoustics.

There's an important lesson here. Take nothing posted about a vintage guitar at face value, unless it's from a dealer like Gruhn or Elderly which will have done their homework. Misidentification of vintage Gibsons happens all the time.

Online research is your friend.

Archived