Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Ibanez Jiva

MichaelT

I got this guitar a couple weeks ago. I wasn't planning on buying it but just went to Guitar Center to check it out. After playing it for 20 minutes or so, I plugged it into an amp and started playing it. My lovely lady knew that guitar was coming home with me that day. The DiMarzio humbuckers have a familiar sound. The DiMarzio single coil has a nice Strat kind of sound. The pickups aren't as hot as what you'd think and more like a Burstbucker 1 and 2. It's real light at about 7 pounds, really thin and has amazing sustain for such a light guitar with a bolt on neck. The neck is thin and a little wider than the Les Pauls and Flying V's I usually play. I've seen her with Alice Cooper and solo at Sweetwater. She's a wonderful guitarist and her new album is definitely shredding. She was really nice and friendly when we met her at Sweetwater last year. I wouldn't typically buy a signature guitar since they're usually overpriced for the value. This one retails at $1499.00 and my sales guy at Guitar Center gave me a great deal on it, as he always does. My wife's already planning the cruise this fall.

It's the Nita Strauss signature guitar, the Ibanez Jiva.

Pictures:

My guitar at home in the living room across from my Goldtop

54433185_2056509724456134_6315772296648720384_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=87a0becd66f54d3434ffb8d30eaccbc2&oe=5D02B591

And one of her with her signature guitar

52565856_1727976940635785_7161198379362418688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=502464d773fe53f0b376241dbc34607d&oe=5D0D1035

Uh-Oh, Mikey is going off the deep end shredding into unknown territory [scared] How can a traditional Gibson Les Paul and Flying V player succumb to Jiva [scared]

Seriously though, it should offer quite the change of pace and may expand some of your techniques. That often happens when all of sudden you pick up something different - it just brings out a different approach to playing. Hope you enjoy it.

I'd be tempted to get one if it came with a life size poster of Nita [rolleyes]

Congratulations Michael, you'll have to see if you can swing it around your neck like Nita does.

Ian

She's certainly energetic on stage, isn't she? She makes me tired just watching her. If I were to try to swing a guitar, I'd certainly hit myself in the head, the strap or straplocks would break, the guitar would go flying and kill someone. [biggrin]

Very beautiful! Oh, and your guitar looks great too 😁 nah man congrats and hope you enjoy it a lot!

Thank you. I wasn't sure I'd like it and getting used to the neck and fretboard takes a little getting used to.

Uh-Oh, Mikey is going off the deep end shredding into unknown territory [scared] How can a traditional Gibson Les Paul and Flying V player succumb to Jiva [scared]

Seriously though, it should offer quite the change of pace and may expand some of your techniques. That often happens when all of sudden you pick up something different - it just brings out a different approach to playing. Hope you enjoy it.

I'd be tempted to get one if it came with a life size poster of Nita [rolleyes]

I know, right? I've been playing mostly Gibson for 35 years. I still do, of course but that guitar goes some with me too. What I like about it is the single coil in the middle because I can get a pretty decent Strat type sound out of it and don't need to swap guitars.

It doesn't come with a life sized poster or anything but I do have an autographed poster, CD and picture. None are life sized though. My lovely wife probably wouldn't care for that too much. [biggrin]

and that's when the fight started..

LOL! looks like a shred sled all the way,, and Nita,, well what can ya say other than "Nita is nice...!"

The funny thing is that while it can certainly shred, it's sounds just fine playing classic rock, blues, country and whatever else with the pickups it has. Of course, it does hard rock/metal quite well too. [biggrin] And, yeah, she's nice. It was good to talk with her for a bit. I'm really thankful that female musicians are getting more recognition. She can sure tear it up.

Thank you. I wasn't sure I'd like it and getting used to the neck and fretboard takes a little getting used to.

I really like that Ibanez - they make some great instruments. Yours looks similar to the Jackson "Alien Burst" finish which I really like, but yours has a real nice look with the binding on the body. As well, I like the input jack location at the face of the guitar rather than on the lower-bottom side of the body - which is Strat like too where the Ibanez's is located. I'm sure you can pull off some sounds with it that will work with many different types of music. I'll look up your Ibanez and see what the fretboard is spec'd at. Usually the shredder guitars are nearly flat as boards giving that fast feel with bends that won't be bothered with neck curvature, so I'd expect it was like this. Nothing bad about it at all. I find it helps a lot with faster leads with arpeggios and such. Always need a shredder type guitar in the collection I feel... And I like the fretboard inlay design on your Ibanez too. Anyhow, hope it continues to deliver for you!

Archived